supercharged

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlodek1980

Reaction score
i'm thinking of bolting on a centrifugal supercharger onto either vmax or vf1000. both are v4 and both are carb'd
i understand having a fuel injection and a pcIII helps with tuning noend, but if i was to keep the carbs, what mods would i have to do? and how difficult is it to dial in?
also, are low-comp pistons or thick head gaskets a must? i'm asking because there is this guy, toro, that makes supercharger kits for gen 5 and 6 vfr800 and he gets a lot of power without engine mods such as low-comp-pistons...

You can use a supercharger without changing the pistons but you'll make more power if you do (because you can run more boost). I have been wanting to build one for sometime and even asked Procharger about a unit years ago before they made the Harley system. In fact I still get some emails occasionally from them. We were going to take one of our bikes up to them (about 3 hours away) so they could develop the kit.

BUT, I think now I'd use the Rotrex unit since it's smaller and more easily mounted up. I had even looked at and have a lot of information on Gator Superchargers which were taking turbo's and converting them to belt drive units.

You can use thicker head gaskets which will help lower compression but keep in mind the headers won't fit as well (but they will fit). You can either do a blow through system or a draw through. Either way it's going to take some work to make it fit/function.

If you are super serious and have the funds (a realistic amount is in the $5-$6K range not including engine work) we can help you make the setup. It may be significantly less then that but I don't want to underestimate it either.

Sean

sometime ago a rotrex sp30-74 went for about 650gbp, which was reasonable.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270652654209&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
therefore it's possible, but not common to find a secondhand one...
a draw-thru would require a big carb and plain plenum instead of genuine set of 4 carbs, right?
a blow thru would req originals modded (vaccum parts removed?)
also, what a great idea of converting turbo to a s/c!!! turbos are cheap, very cheap i'd say, so it's probably a matter of making a external cover (cnc) for the hot side to accomodate for a shaft, bearing and a pulley.
i have a friend who could reverse engineer (cnc) brackets, plenum and such, so that would not be too difficult.
so really it's a question of how do you tune your blow thru carbs then?
i have a rough idea but really not enough info to undertake s/c'd carbs tuning
edit: just read some info about gator s/c. wow 4x4 inches, and they say not diff to diy :)) i like
edit: just read some more on gators and maybe it's better to stay with a second hand rotrex LOL

You simply enclose the carbs completely in an airbox. Look up the old Seca Turbo's. They were a blow through setup (I still have my Seca and plenty of parts). You can actually just enclose the top and bottom side and then run your vent tubes to the same box so your float bowls are pressurized at the same rate as the boost. You will need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator that can increase fuel pressure 1lb for every 1 lb of boost. Again easy to come by.

I have a ton of pics I can send if your friend wants to make one. I think I even have some schematics for them (never got around to making one for myself or another customer yet). Email me if you are interested in doing this project.

Sean
[email protected]

Im seeing the rotrex locally, used good condition for bargain price sometimes.
I mean bargain in the sense that new runs about 3k$...

You gonna need C30, C15 could be to small.

The best advantage of Rotrex is thier efficiency and low noise. They're very quiet.

I know him and hes usin C30.
I can provide You some infos but I remember he was tunning his bike in UK, in Big CC

Back