swingarm bearing replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1

Reaction score
What your dealing with here is a cherry with a manual trying to save some $$$, so here goes. I've got a 2000 max with 16K (recent purchase) looking everything over. Checked SA bearings today, up and down smooooth, left/right no VISUAL movement but there is a noticable FELT movement so I am ASSuming im feeling some bearing slop? Manual is pretty clear to me other than and this is my #1 question, Is there anything special I need to make note of when removing/installing the final gear assembly? #2 Other than the bearings/seals/collars what else should I go ahead and pre order so I have no surprises and the bike is down waiting on parts?

Thanks, Tom

Can't imagine needing bearings at that mileage. Adjustment is easy, just remove the chrome end caps (carefully) and follow the manual. I just replaced mine at 24K miles while I had the swingarm off for powdercoating. The bearings seemed ok but I had already purchased them, the oil seals, lock washer, rubber boot and spring, so installed everything anyway.

What your dealing with here is a cherry with a manual trying to save some $$$, so here goes. I've got a 2000 max with 16K (recent purchase) looking everything over. Checked SA bearings today, up and down smooooth, left/right no VISUAL movement but there is a noticable FELT movement so I am ASSuming im feeling some bearing slop? Manual is pretty clear to me other than and this is my #1 question, Is there anything special I need to make note of when removing/installing the final gear assembly? #2 Other than the bearings/seals/collars what else should I go ahead and pre order so I have no surprises and the bike is down waiting on parts?

Thanks, Tom

Do you mean felt movement as in hauling ass around sweeper turns?You could possibly feel the frame flexing.

Adjustment is easy

Your saying to just retorque them? and see if alls well?

Just torque them to the specified setting. 4lbs I believe... ???

10-4, Thank You

Do you mean felt movement as in hauling ass around sweeper turns?You could possibly feel the frame flexing.

Shawn, No when checking for play in the bearings.

Just torque them to the specified setting. 4lbs I believe... ???

1) Left pivot shaft is torqued to 72 ft/lbs
2) Right pivot shaft is 4.3 ft/lbs
3) Right pivot nut is 72 ft/lbs

If torquing doesn't work, I would remove rear wheel and swing arm to check/grease bearings.

Thanks everyone for the replys! I will get in there and retorque em and go from there. I did the steering (repack) and torqued to the manual sure cleaned up the wobble.

Tom

Back