Tail of the Dragon Closed!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Redlne

Reaction score
It looks like a rock slide took out the Tail of the Dragon earlier this month.
The posts right now list it as possibly not reopening until September.

That just blows! My buddies and I were planning on making a run down there this summer.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

A lot of the business owners are taking this up with the local policy makers, because it will not only affect business, but normal transportation routing for normal traffic.

I help organize a large event for another internet Forum that involves a couple hundred people during June. We are still going as planned. Even if that road were closed, that region is literally spider webbed with awesome roads. :punk:

Am hoping to make it down to the Dragon later on in the season. Want to take Toxic on a "peg scrapin" run instead of the arrow straight roads prevalent in most areas. We have few roads here in Ontario that would classify as "twisty", but the ones we have are fun:biglaugh:

Man, that blows. I was hoping to make it down there sometime this summer for a nice road trip. It's probably the #1 motorcycle destination in the country and there's tons of businesses that absolutely depend on it...I can't imagine it will be closed for long.

Maybe I'm just a wuss, but I can't imagine dragging the pegs on the Vmax, at least not with the pos avon tire. Even on warm, dry pavement it tends to "walk" on any sort of hard turn where you countersteer rather than just lean.

Maybe I'm just a wuss, but I can't imagine dragging the pegs on the Vmax, at least not with the pos avon tire. Even on warm, dry pavement it tends to "walk" on any sort of hard turn where you countersteer rather than just lean.

You are not a wuss if you are riding to your own abilities. Where folks have a problem is where they exceed their own, and possibly the bikes, capabilities to show off or prove something, and then wipe out. Just because you don't feel comfy scraping pegs, or other bike parts, along the asphalt in a corner doesn't mean you are not a good rider, just means that you know your own limits and don't exceed them, thus you ARE a good rider.

Toxic is outfitted with the very best in suspension, radial tires, etc. and I am quite comfy laying it over in corners until the pegs hit. But that is because I have spent years getting to know Toxic's and my capabilities and know we are safe doing this. Of course this also is predicated by what conditions exist on the road. If it is cold, wet, rainy, foggy, or any other condition that compromises traction I am a heck of a lot more conservative in my riding approach.

wait til u get shinko's. i drag my pegs quite a bit.

I'm hoping to drag my pegs less now... Up an inch in the rear... Should be nice.

Dragging pegs in the gap isn't a problem. But beware. The gap WILL and DOES bite back. I've ridden it. It's fun but gets old fast. You can go further down 129 and hit another twisty bit as well.

The surrounding roads are more enjoyable to me.

Chris

I road the dragon 4 yrs ago, it was great! buddy behind had a cam corder bolted on his bike and recorded me in front of him the whole way, problem was he couldnt keep up. i had to keep slowing down to stay in the pic. i was a puddle of sweat by the end. and yes, the sorounding rds in that area are FANTASTIC!!!

the dragon is open,from 8am to 8pm but you can only get on from the nc end of it but it is open.besides there are plenty of other roads down there to ride(cherahola skyway,devils triangle,moonshiners 28) i'll be down there first week in june,really looking forward to it

One of my buddies drove to NY and made sure he went threw that area where the Dragon is. He said it was pretty cool, but not ideal weather when he was there so it was calmer ride.

Knowing and staying within ones limits is good riding.

I dont know if its my smaller tires but damn I scape peg all time, even warming up the tires with the side to side weave.

Back