That was stupid

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
So two weeks ago I got the permsion slip signed to have all day Friday to myself after work so I rode the bike to work. At the end of the day I deciced to take a scenic ride home through some country roadsand up through Ralph Stover State Park and New Hope PA. Never really been on a long ride that I didnt fill up prior to the start but I figured this would be a great time to see how far I could go on the tank before the reserve kicked in. I always reset the odometer after a fill up so I was at about 50 miles on the odometer. Had a great ride, great day, great roads and great scenary. Odometer got up to around 100 and no warning light so I kept going knowing that all I had to do was switch the reserve to on.. 120 and still no light..I'm thinking wow, I'm getting some pretty good mileage based on what I've read here on the forums...Well at mile 128 I started sputtering , hit the reserve and kept sputtering until it died. Wtf, so gave it a couple more tries and still wouldnt fire up, fuel pump clicking like crazy so I shut her off..Opened the tank and it was totally empty..Thanfully I was only about 15 minutes from home and called a friend who still hasnt let me forget that I ran out of gas..After all the reading I did trying to trouble shoot why the low fuel light never came on and that it burnt through the tank I figured bad sending unit..Well tonight I was under the bike tightening up the exhaust and decided to follow the wires fron the bottom of the tank to where they go behind the right side cover..tugged a little on the wire to see which one moved up past the cover and nothing moved but felt very little ressistane. Now more curious then anything removed the cover and wouldnt you know the harnes was disconnected there. Suddenly I remember during the winter time tinkering around with how to disable the fuel pump and I tried diconnecting that wire, not realizing it was the sending unit, not the fuel pump....Dumb ass me never reconnected the harness. So leaning on the side of optomism, 2 good things came out of this experiment. 1, I now no that at around 120 I better be a mile or two away from a gas station..2, my sending unit is ok :)
Not sure if I should tell me friend who brought me some gas, the real reason why the light came on :)

Next time you're curious about what would happen if...Just ask me first coz I've practically done it all. Smart and dumb alike.:biglaugh:

Not stupid at all Auggie....pretty sure you'll find (if they tell you the truth :biglaugh:) that most of us on this forum have done similar things!!

Not me, of course, but vmaxcruiser has done enough of them for both of us!! :rofl_200:

That reminds me Auggie do you take Rt 1 to work in the morning. I spotted a max near quakerbridge mall on my way to work the other week thought it might have been you. I was on the bike but whoever it was just blew past me before I even realized what it was.

Hey Jdk, nope not me..I try to avoid that road..We need to meet up one day and go for a ride since your so close.

It is with great pride that I humbly accept this award. I would like to thank this forum and it's contributors in providing me with just enough information to make myself dangerous when attempting to modify the max...:):):) In addition , my wallet has asked that I thank you as well :)

And now for my next trick..........

I have come to realize that Murphy's law is always around, so I embrace it, that way others may learn from it.

Murphy says 115 miles max for you...No more. There are ways to trick Murphy (I have on several occasions) but you'll NEVER get rid of him. He's like that damn Mod monkey I tell ya.

I have come to realize that Murphy's law is always around, so I embrace it, that way others may learn from it.

Murphy says 115 miles max for you...No more. There are ways to trick Murphy (I have on several occasions) but you'll NEVER get rid of him. He's like that damn Mod monkey I tell ya.

There it is.....THE ANSWER!! Kenny's got it!!!
Consider this....Murphy.....M right?
Mod Monkey..................2 more M's right?

OK, so that's 3 M's..................:ummm:

Where the hell was I going with that???:confused2: Huh, thought I was onto somethin' BIG!! :blink000:

Latest posts

Back