The 50 worse charities

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alorio1

Reaction score
So you think as least most of your donation moneyis helping the unfortunate. Unbelievable as it sounds, Kids Wish Network tops the list. It's sickening that they would lure people to donate to help dying children, when the main purpose is to line their greedy pockets.
(CNN) -- The worst charity in America operates from a metal warehouse behind a gas station in Holiday, Florida. Every year, Kids Wish Network raises millions of dollars in donations in the name of dying children and their families.
Every year, it spends less than 3 cents on the dollar helping kids.
In the past decade alone, Kids Wish has channeled nearly $110 million donated for sick children to its corporate solicitors. An additional $4.8 million has gone to pay the charity's founder and his own consulting firms. (DIRT BAGS)
No charity in the nation has siphoned more money away from the needy over a longer period of time.

The 50 worst charities in America devote less than 4% of donations raised to direct cash aid. Over a decade, one diabetes charity raised nearly $14 million and gave about $10,000 to patients. Six spent no cash at all on their cause.

Want to be more outraged: To disguise the meager amount of money that reaches those in need, charities use accounting tricks and inflate the value of donated dollar-store cast-offs - snack cakes and air fresheners - that they give to dying cancer patients and homeless veterans. (Sickening)

Another report states that there are charities with similar sounding names of legitimate charities are designed to fool you into believing you are giving to the legitimate charity.

And sometimes it's an "All in the Family" ripoff. For eight years, American Breast Cancer Foundation paid Joseph Wolf's telemarketing company to generate donations. His mother, Phyllis Wolf, had founded the Baltimore-based charity and was its president until she was forced to resign in 2010.
While she ran the charity, her son's company, Non Profit Promotions, collected $18 million in telemarketing fees.
Phyllis Wolf left the charity after the payments to her son attracted media attention in 2010. The charity has since stopped using telemarketers, including Joseph Wolf's.
Phyllis and Joseph Wolf did not respond to several calls seeking comment.
http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

it's the same everywhere - an honest charity is hard to find
some have been exposed over here, the bosses of 14 Irish charities get salaries over €100k !

When they come around asking for money, ask them how much they and their bosses are being paid and how big their pensions are - if the answer isn't "voluntary" then slam the door in their faces

Personally, I put my donations straight into the hands of those that need it

it's the same everywhere - an honest charity is hard to find
some have been exposed over here, the bosses of 14 Irish charities get salaries over €100k !

When they come around asking for money, ask them how much they and their bosses are being paid and how big their pensions are - if the answer isn't "voluntary" then slam the door in their faces

Personally, I put my donations straight into the hands of those that need it

Hey my MAX is very needy... lol
I feel like it is a charity case sometimes!!

Goodwill is also one of the bad ones. The guy that runs it is extremely rich.

I looked up The Wounded Warrioe Project. By some raters, it gets a "D" rating. I'm not surprized.. most of the big name harities end up with huge overheads, including many top exec salaries.https://nonprofitquarterly.org/phil...ny-different-ratings-whats-a-donor-to-do.html
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842#.U4t4-L0o7bV

There are several online watchdog sites to look up a particular charity's records. All of them must file their financials to the fed each year. If you know how to read a Fed form 990, you could be shocked at it's Board of Directors, and top exec salaries.

Back