The IGNITECH TCI thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary...what would the pin out be for hooking up the TPS to the harness ?

PDF attached.

Pictures show a 90-07 adapter harness on TCI end. The VBoost and MAP connections are the same though on 85-07.

Green wires to servo matter don't matter on polarity, TCI senses correct orientation on initial power up & adapts to them.

Gary

Attachments

• VBoost Connector.pdf
    684.9 KB · Views: 68
Looks like that's for the vboost hookup. From what I am reading for the TPS one wire would go to pin 17 (5v). I imagine one wire would go to pin 7 for ground and then one wire left ? as the TPS has three wires to it.
Cant find my CD that came with the unit. I think it has a manual on it?

Looks like that's for the vboost hookup. From what I am reading for the TPS one wire would go to pin 17 (5v). I imagine one wire would go to pin 7 for ground and then one wire left ? as the TPS has three wires to it.
Cant find my CD that came with the unit. I think it has a manual on it?

Here`s the v80 manual:

http://ignitech.cz/english/tcip/manual_sparker_tcip4_v80_en.pdf

There`s a nice diagram in there (you need 7 or 16 for ground, 17 for +5V and pin 6 for TPS input).

Thanks. After viciously interrogating the wife and dogs this morning I remembered where I put the disk....LOL Now its off to buy treats for the dogs and breakfast for the wife..LOL

Thanks again for the file and the pin outs.

WOW, this stuff is way over my head. I originally was looking for new vboost controller (black box behind the scoop), or a way to do it manually hopefully using the throttle and linkage to somehow work with the butterflies.....I watched the video where the vboost opens with throttle and that looks great. I was not looking for the ignition (TCI) box but wonder if it is a total upgrade I should consider. I would definitely need plug and play. Bike is a 94 with 76K on the clock. Carbs are off and getting ready to ship to get rebuilt, so access is easy right now.......I still have the stock electrical set up with 4 coils etc....so wondering if this is a good choice for me? Great work guys!!!

WOW, this stuff is way over my head. I originally was looking for new vboost controller (black box behind the scoop), or a way to do it manually hopefully using the throttle and linkage to somehow work with the butterflies.....I watched the video where the vboost opens with throttle and that looks great. I was not looking for the ignition (TCI) box but wonder if it is a total upgrade I should consider. I would definitely need plug and play. Bike is a 94 with 76K on the clock. Carbs are off and getting ready to ship to get rebuilt, so access is easy right now.......I still have the stock electrical set up with 4 coils etc....so wondering if this is a good choice for me? Great work guys!!!

Hi Jim,

Yes, the Ignitech is awesome but if you want to link throttle to Vboost, you have to do some of the work yourself. Perhaps some day there will be a kit that uses the MAP sensor and has a connector for Vboost already in (which will be close to the setup I have but you will not be able to open and close the Vboost when the motor is not started), but I`m afraid it`s not there today. Or... you find someone local who can help you out with the electrics, adding the Vboost to the Ignitech unit is really an easy job.

Cheers!

IMAG0097.jpg

Well I have the Ignitech running the vboost and have installed the TPS. Pics show the process and the hardest was drilling and tapping the throttle shaft for the TPS. It needs to be dead center or it will be hard on the TPS if the shaft is off center. If anyone does this and isnt familar with center punching, drilling and tapping take it to a machine shop.
I have mine attached to number one carb and facing up towards the air box. In the pic it shows it facing down, I changed it. I am not real happy with my mounting bracket and will fabricate a better on later. I bolted it to the rack bracket and and extra boss the was under the bracket.

I used the sam TPS as RempageR1 and got one from a 2005 R1 and guess what ? I said to watch for the one from 2003 and 2004 because Yamaha recalled on them. I got one from a 2005 and I think it has issues. Come to find out they recalled all the way to 2007. I have another one on the way.

I had eyeballed what I thought was about a quarter mile and since adding the TPS I picked up about 5 MPH. I seems to have better reponse on the bottom and top end. I had a hesitataion on top end WOT at times and now that seems to be gone. It just seems the bike has a more crisp response now.

So with the kind help of RempageR1 the vboost is ever so smooth when it kicks in and his wiring help was the best.
Would I recomend doing this yes, if you are capable of the wiring and fabrication process. I took the throttle shaft out of the carb just because it was easier to handle and I had it leveled in the vise for drilling and used a drill with a level on it to get the hole straight for tapping so into the slot of the TPS, that works very well. And that hole is dead center !

Want to thank Gary for his help also !

Attachments

• IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0100.jpg
    IMAG0100.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 66
Nice to hear you got it going :eusa_dance:and you`re welcome!

As for the TPS recall, you can easily check the state of the TPS by just looking at the voltage readout on your laptop. If you see strange deviations in the readout (voltage dropping when opening throttle, increasing when closing, readout changing all the time in one place) it`s broken. If not, it is just fine!

Hi There,

i am following this tread for some time now. At last i decided to buy myselft the ignitech TCI.

The whole package and the way it was shipped shows some quality and care for the product :clapping:

I installed it on my '92 max (well, the engine is from 92) and it ran at first click.
Since i dont think the supported mapping from ignitech was tuned for my machine (Characteristics dont match), i was looking around for a better map setting.

From my friend Remco i received the mapping that some of you may use.

After i updated the TCI with the received setting my Max runs much better then the ignitech map. So thanks for that :eusa_dance:

However, there is this little thing.
Between the 2500 and 3000 rpm my max stutters, more when i drive with constant speed. It runs fine and no problem at in the other RPM range.

I have tried to vary in the matrix numbers (2000 rpm) But that brings me not further.

Does anyone of you have a suggestion for me to get rid of the stutter?

My engine is standard adn the TCI runs with the IAP setting

See the attachment.

Attachments

• IAPMap.JPG
    IAPMap.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Isn't that carb/fuel issues instead of electrical? Which map/version are you using (*.ign)? Can you attach it to here? And why do you think the map that Gary provided isn't good? Thanks

Thanks for youre reaction wildweasel.

Carb/Fuel issue? i am not sure. With the standard TCI the bike runs normal.
The carbs were synchronized en CO2 setup schecked resently.

I dont doubt about gary's mapsetting that i am using. sorry if i gave you that idea.
I just want to get rid of the stutter. :)

I am not an technical person, so shoot me if i am wrong, but , now you mention carb/fuel issue, could it be the difference in fuel between USA and Europe?
if so i only have to know how to resolve the 2500-3000 rpm gap. Like i said, all the the other rpm ranges doing fine.
The 2500-3000 area is frequently used when i drive downtown.

Regards

Attachments

• MyMap.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 24
I understood that you had a new map. You should be running the one Gary put out.
Don't know what you mean by CO2. The fuel quality is not an issue as fuel here in Europe is better than the US. The minimum octane rating we have in Portugal is 95 and premium is 98 so pretty good but fcking expensive. I thought of that as a problem regarding transition from idle jet circuit to the main but if you say that with the stock TCI works fine i don't see what may be causing your problem, ignition advance? you should have replaced your Boost sensor by the one Gary sent. I don't know if it could be a defective ignition unit but i doubt it...

Attached is a zip file with the Ignitech supplied manual & 2 ign files. One for an 85-89 & one for 90-07 VMax's. These are the ones I have been supplying. There is room for improvement with them, but they are better than what Ignitech supplies.

I can't post an IGN file direct, forum does not allow that type of file.

Gary

Attachments

• Ignitech software V88 version - map and manual.zip
    131 KB · Views: 66
Thanks all for replies folks.

I used youre map gary, and its much better then the ignitech. Feels more like a vmax then the ignitechs map.

I am going to look further into this and will come back with a status update.

Regards
Gerard

We're getting ready to do some dyno work and establish some new maps. First engine we're going to do this on will be a 1428cc engine. We'll try to do some stock and mild modofied engines too.

That would be great. I'm running a muscle jet kit and air box with the vboost open full time. Having trouble figuring out how to program the map sensor correctly with that setup. Seems to be advancing too early. Really wish I had access to a dyno!

Some dyno ign files would be great. I mostly used the advanced curve from the obsolete dynatech for the first gens. Made a few changes and its doing ok. letting the TPS adjust the curve seemed to help to. And Gary is right the ones he sent in the kit do good also and the bike should run good.

We're getting ready to do some dyno work and establish some new maps. First engine we're going to do this on will be a 1428cc engine. We'll try to do some stock and mild modofied engines too.

That would be awesome!
I also have been planning to do some runs on the Dyno but as usual, stuff gets in the way. It`s now planned for next year after I regrind the valves, put in new seals and replace the piston rings (at full power, people behind me are complaining about blue smoke :clapping:).

Some dyno ign files would be great. I mostly used the advanced curve from the obsolete dynatech for the first gens. Made a few changes and its doing ok. letting the TPS adjust the curve seemed to help to. And Gary is right the ones he sent in the kit do good also and the bike should run.

Why not take a look at the factory advance curve in the manual? I'd not stray too
far from the total advance spec. The sound of these engines pinging from pre- ignition or detonation is almost impossible to hear. The results can be obvious though. Gary has it right, with 43 deg total in his map.
I can't wait to see the results from Sean's dyno test.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back