Thermo switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atp51

Reaction score
Hey, Guys I'm looking for your thoughts of removing the thermo switch and completing the circuit with wire and some connectors. That is what I have done because my bike overheated Sunday. It seems to work great with the fan running from the starting of the bike, but I am wondering what the bad is. I mean there has to be a reason that it isn't like that form the factory :confused2:. I would appreciate your input.

How do you know it is overheating? Is the cap popping off or have you verified with infrared gun? Maybe it's a dirty temp gauge ground? If it's truly overheating I would fix the problem. A max should not overheat with stock fan switch.

It will burn the fan up eventually. It's not meant to run while at highway speeds. The fan is running and has air hiting it to drive it even faster. Faster than it was meant to run. If you do all in town driving, it may be a temporary fix. I added a switch so I can flip the fan on and of if manual intervention is needed. Mostly when sitting at a light.

Good Luck.

How do you know it is overheating? Is the cap popping off or have you verified with infrared gun? Maybe it's a dirty temp gauge ground? If it's truly overheating I would fix the problem. A max should not overheat with stock fan switch.
Yes the cap is popping and coolant pouring out of the over flow. The fan will no kick on after fallowing the diagnostics in the service manual I came to the conclusion that the thermo switch was bad, that is why I bypassed it.

It will burn the fan up eventually. It's not meant to run while at highway speeds. The fan is running and has air hiting it to drive it even faster. Faster than it was meant to run. If you do all in town driving, it may be a temporary fix. I added a switch so I can flip the fan on and of if manual intervention is needed. Mostly when sitting at a light.

Good Luck.
I thought about doing that too.

I bypassed mine and use the fuel reserve switch to operate it in override, since the fuel reserve system never worked worth a damn anyway.

If my nuts start to get hot, I need gas, and that's a better sensor than the thermistor in the tank anyway.

Thanks for all the input I bit the bullet and spent the $50 for a new thermo switch. Now I have a different problem I used the drain to get out all the old coolant (it was nasty)and replace it with new. The problem now is it drips just as few drops after sitting in the garage for a few days. Anybody have an idea on this one?
Thanks

Where is it dripping from? The coolant drain bolt under the r/h side of the motor? Get a new gasket for it.

If your coolant looked dirty, there are strong chances that you cooling system is also full of shit, especially the radiator. In such a case, you would greatly benefit from adding a flushing agent to your coolant, running with it at high idle or around town for a day or so, then let it cool down completely (overnite) and then flush the system with a water hose until the water runs clear out of the drain bolt.
Then refill with water, run it again for a bit, and repeat. If it then drains clear, refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and (preferably) distilled water, and you should be golden.

The dirt is the reason your motor overheated, you need to get it out of there or your new thermoswitch won't do jack shit.

Back