this a good way to find vacuum leak?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrow

Reaction score
well, not a good way to FIND it, but I was reading on another forum that if you cover the throat of the carb and she dies.... no leak. if it continues to run - you've got a leak. makes sense and saves me at least a little trouble spraying my bike with flammables. I hear soap works too.

by the way, does starter fluid smoke if it hits the hot engine? I'd sure hate to see a smokey firey bike.

thought?

well, not a good way to FIND it, but I was reading on another forum that if you cover the throat of the carb and she dies.... no leak. if it continues to run - you've got a leak. makes sense and saves me at least a little trouble spraying my bike with flammables. I hear soap works too.

by the way, does starter fluid smoke if it hits the hot engine? I'd sure hate to see a smokey firey bike.

thought?

The first method you state makes no sense to me... Air has to run through the carbs to suck the fuel into the engine...:confused2: Even if it did work, the leak would have to be mammoth BIG:surprise:to allow it to continue running...

As for the second method. Don't do it when the engine is freaky hot... You shouldn't have any issues but having a fire extinguisher handy wouldn't hurt...

i work as a tech at ford dealer and we have a machine that pumps smoke out. you can either block off area and pressurize area with smoke or while it running put smoke near suspected leak and follow it as it is soucked in with a bright light.:thumbs up:

take a propane torch and turn the gas on, stick it by suspected leak, if rpms change you found your leak

Back