This is really bad....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaoteay

Reaction score
As some of you know, I've been fighting with my jetting for awhile now.... I swapped out the dynojet stage 1 jets, and put in 147.5's...

But while doing so, I lost a brass spacer (from the clamp that holds the carbs to the manifold... I thought I just lost it on the ground..

But now my bike is rattling... :bang head: :bang head: :bang head: kind of sounds like a spacer's in it...

How the heck do I get it out!??? It sounds like it's in the back right cylinder. (Can it fall into the cylinder??)

I would check elsewhere on the bike first. Perhaps it's in the "V" somewhere. Next, would remove carbs and take a good look around. If you still can't find it take that manifold off. I wouldn't think it was small enough to get past the valves. You could remove the spark plug and try a pencil light to see if it can be seen.

In between the front and rear cylinders by the crankcase/coolant breather. I have found a few old fasteners in there before.

If you don't locate it on the outside and have to go into the sparkplug hole, see if you can't bring the bike to a shop that has a bore scope. It might help.

hmmm.. so I took off the carbs again, and can't see it or get it with a magnet. So the silver tubes below the carbs are the manifold, correct?

I started to remove it (was hoping to remove it all together, but taking off those silver 5mm allen wrench thumb screws, but oil started coming out of them... is that normal? and is that what I want to be doing/ where I should be looking?

-JO

Brass is non-ferrous or non-magnetic. If the intake valve was open on #3 it could have bounced down and into the cylinder. The borescope is the best plan but if you don't have access to a shop with one, you might be able to vacumn it out with a strong shop vac. I attach a smaller diameter hose to the vacumn with duct tape and keep stepping down to a smaller diameter hose till you can fit it in the sparkplug hole. You might get lucky and be able to lift it out with suction. If you can verify that it is in the cyl and get it where you can see it, a piece of bubblegum on a pencil might do the trick also. Of course, the last option is to remove the engine and dis-assemble the head from the block. Damn, I really wish you the best of luck with this one. I had a glowplug fall into a cylinder on a Ford diesel and had to pull the engine and dis-assemble to get it out. Sucks man.

hmmm.. so I took off the carbs again, and can't see it or get it with a magnet. So the silver tubes below the carbs are the manifold, correct?

I started to remove it (was hoping to remove it all together, but taking off those silver 5mm allen wrench thumb screws, but oil started coming out of them... is that normal? and is that what I want to be doing/ where I should be looking?

-JO

Yes the oil coming out is normal. 2 of the bolts go into the oil gallery.

Brass is non-ferrous or non-magnetic. If the intake valve was open on #3 it could have bounced down and into the cylinder. The borescope is the best plan but if you don't have access to a shop with one, you might be able to vacumn it out with a strong shop vac. I attach a smaller diameter hose to the vacumn with duct tape and keep stepping down to a smaller diameter hose till you can fit it in the sparkplug hole. You might get lucky and be able to lift it out with suction. If you can verify that it is in the cyl and get it where you can see it, a piece of bubblegum on a pencil might do the trick also. Of course, the last option is to remove the engine and dis-assemble the head from the block. Damn, I really wish you the best of luck with this one. I had a glowplug fall into a cylinder on a Ford diesel and had to pull the engine and dis-assemble to get it out. Sucks man.

So the piece must not be brass - I double checked that it was magnetic with the same piece from another carb...

That vac idea is really good... I'll try that.

I'm trying to find someone who has a bore scope, but they run $700... and I can't afford that right now.

Most car shops have bore scopes....or maybe even a gunsmith. They would probably take a peek into all 4 cylinders for a slight charge. It would save a lot of second-guessing.

Update...

So I bought a micro snake camera (which I'm not returning as it's not small enough to fit into the spark plug hole like I was hoping.). It was pretty good at looking at the intake valves though.

We couldn't see anything in the input valves nor in the spark plug holes. We disconnected the fuel pump and then turned it over to watch and listen as the valves open and closed and couldn't hear anything or see anything. Stuck a really strong magnet down into the cylinder and couldn't get anything.

Thought that maybe it had finally got smashed up and passed, put everything back together and the noise is still there. Sounds like it's coming from the back cylinders for sure, but hard to tell where exactly...

So we're admitting defeat and taking it in as we ran the bike for a little while to try and locate the source and now are worried about damage....

Can you see the piston tops with the lense at least near the spark plug hole?

Sean

Latest posts

Back