Throttle cable adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choctaw

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a high idle and checked everything but could not figure it out ,,,well if I roll forward on the throttle it will idle at 1000 rpms but if I let go it goes back up to 3000 rpms ,,,that could be adjusted out right ??????:ummm:

You have a idle screw on the left of the carbs inbetween. Check that. It shouldn't roll forward. The springs should bring the throttle back to lower stop when released

Check if everything is well connected on your throttle cable connecting box under the left neck fairing...

Last edited:
Has it always been this way or just started? If it's a new thing check to make sure the cable ends are seated in their 'pockets' on top of the carbs. And, as mentioned check the throttle cable block behind the electrical components mounting plate on the left side.

Unless you changed the settings on the idle adjustment screw or cable adjusters you shouldn't see any big change in idle from just removing the carbs.

Improperly routed cables, improperly connected at carbs, or inside the junction block can cause this. Those plastic connectors in the junction block only work properly when installed one way. you may need to rotate those connectors. They will physically fit if installed wrong but will bind in the housing.

:punk::punk::punk:I am pretty sure I put them back like they were ,,,,the carbs on the side with the cable junction block that cable goes on the top of the junction block and the other side goes on the bottom ,,,I think that is right anybody dissagree??? And also after taking the carbs off and cleaning one more time and replacing the fuel lines and filter ,,,what do you know other than still idling a little high( 2000 rpms) it is running like champ ,,thanks to all the help I get from you guys.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

I need to get the carbs synced but do not have a vacuum sync tool or know someone who does either ,,,,and the throttle does snap back every time but at the down throttle position I can still roll it forward and the idle goes down to like 750 to 900 rpms could those cable be swapped ????

Back