Tightening up ebay levers.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
These levers are pretty snug to start with. But, being aluminum, over time, usage will loosen them up, as the bolt holes become egg shaped. This is just what I did. *Insert the don't blame me if you screw up your ride disclaimer here*

I never understood why the brake lever was sleeved and not the clutch. Cause if your like me, you don't spend a lot of time on the brakes.

Here is what I did:

I went to the hardware store and picked up a steel sleeve (picked up a nice stainless one that I hit with the small wire wheel to try and make it nice looking when your looking at it in the lever) Then measured it to the thickness of the clutch lever's mounting hole and cut it down. I left a few thousands of an inch on each side. This was done to "fine tune the fitment," either by adding a thin washer or by removing excess material until the fitment suits you.

p1030570q.jpg

I then opened up the clutch lever's mounting hole to accommodate the new sleeve.

p1030571i.jpg

This was a very tight fit, (if you don't have a press, use a matching dowl and tap it) The sleeve was then pressed in to place.

p1030572y.jpg

That's basically it. I then drilled out the mounting hole, on the M/C, all the way through, then mounted it back up with the new allen bolt, lock-washer and nut. There is no slop what so ever. (but there is a little wiggle in the two bolts that hold the adjustment piece on. But, they can wait until winter, to get fixed).

p1030575gz.jpg

+1 on the nice write-up! I will take on this challenge too now that I see what your talking about!

Thanks again....

Spot on. That's exactly what I was talking about in that other thread. Well done KJ, you're on it. And nothing talks like a few good pics :)

the new bolt should only have threads on the very end eh?

the new bolt should only have threads on the very end eh?

That's what I used, one of them 1/4 thread bolts. Similar to what came out of it. The hardware store up here and another store, Denali Fasteners, has a killer selection of bolts. :clapping:

Brilliant! It looks so easy now.
I would have done my head in looking for a sleeve to suit the standard bolt. :bang head:

Back