Timing increase

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set my Dyna to curve 1 for my 94 and it gets super gas mileage.
Wish I could find an older model for my 89. It could make use of
the higher curves I think. It runs 126.01 RWHP on the Dyno with
basically stock carbs.

Thanks for the PDF's they're Awesome.

Need to set up an automatic search on eBay. I saw a Dyna for the early models on eBay just a week or so ago.

The ignitech timing seems to be very high compared to the highest Dyna curve (4).
I don't understand how it can work without détonations!

Or the curve i saw was wrong....

Dyna makes a new programmable version now that's compatible with the older bikes. I just bought the one for my 94 but they have the older one too, software is soooo much easier to understand and work with than the ignitec and does everything it'll do except control the vboost.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Is Ignatech REALLY plug and play?

I'm not disputing it's not more versatile than the Dyna, just that there seems to be reams of threads talking about how to set the Ignatech up and get it working, which makes me curious.

I'm not disputing it's not more versatile than the Dyna, just that there seems to be reams of threads talking about how to set the Ignatech up and get it working, which makes me curious.

Just my personal opinion but definitely not.

I think that it is NOW...whereas before it wasnt. Last week, I removed my TCI, plug and play with the ignitech...now I'm just curious how to play with it, and what all it can do.

I think that it is NOW...whereas before it wasnt. Last week, I removed my TCI, plug and play with the ignitech...now I'm just curious how to play with it, and what all it can do.

Awesome. So it comes loaded with maps for the vmax already or just one map and you build the others?

I've thought about pulling the trigger on one, but was waiting and lurking in the Ignatech threads to see how others did.
Then Dyna came out with their new system which made me hold off again.

Here is a pic of the timing map that comes with the ignitech. The thing that confused me was the kpa. It is a unit of measure for atmospheric pressure used mostly thru out the world except in places that still use the imperial system like the US, which uses PSI.

The ignitech has a lot of buttons and a lot of uses that a lot of people wont ever use, but the options are there to have it run basically everything that you want it to.

Now that i know that 0 kpa is wide open throttle now I know where to start playing. I will probably hook up a gauge though just to see what the vacuum (kpa) is at various points.

LOL...looks like its time to move into the future and start tuning the bike with a laptop.

There is only one map installed, but you can make changes, and save as new files. If it doesnt work out...reload the file that you like.

The problem is you never really reach 0 kpa, here's a pic of the factory timing curve from the manual and also a pic of the curve from an older dyna and you can see that anything over 10.6kpa your going to be running the higher advance and the lowest they give is 5.3kpa so it'll take alot of figuring to get it right. By that chart your going to be pushing past 50 degrees at 9000rpm and that's 15 degrees more than the factory timing and not safe in my opinion, plus I know from past experience that curve 4 on the dyna is only about 38 degrees at 9000rpm and it cost me horsepower at the track. I'm not bashing the Ignitech because I believe it can be made to work but it is VERY far from plug and play in my opinion.

Attachments

• Dyna graph.jpg
    Dyna graph.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 22
  • VMax timing curve from manul.jpg
    VMax timing curve from manul.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
The problem is you never really reach 0 kpa, here's a pic of the factory timing curve from the manual and also a pic of the curve from an older dyna and you can see that anything over 10.6kpa your going to be running the higher advance and the lowest they give is 5.3kpa so it'll take alot of figuring to get it right. By that chart your going to be pushing past 50 degrees at 9000rpm and that's 15 degrees more than the factory timing and not safe in my opinion, plus I know from past experience that curve 4 on the dyna is only about 38 degrees at 9000rpm and it cost me horsepower at the track. I'm not bashing the Ignitech because I believe it can be made to work but it is VERY far from plug and play in my opinion.

I look at it this way...even the conversations that Ive had with you...Ive already learned a lot (I forgot about the factory diagrahm, that gives kpa's) so as soon as I get home, I will adjust it a little bit more. At work for a few weeks.

There are very few things that are TRULY plug and play. Even you did track time, and dyno time, to find out that advance curve 1 on the dyna was better than the advance curve 4.

Once a REALLY good map is found, it can be shared, and loaded on the others, perhaps as a base map.

Thank you for the stock chart.

I look at it this way...even the conversations that Ive had with you...Ive already learned a lot (I forgot about the factory diagrahm, that gives kpa's) so as soon as I get home, I will adjust it a little bit more. At work for a few weeks.

There are very few things that are TRULY plug and play. Even you did track time, and dyno time, to find out that advance curve 1 on the dyna was better than the advance curve 4.

Once a REALLY good map is found, it can be shared, and loaded on the others, perhaps as a base map.

Thank you for the stock chart.

No problem bud, I want everyone to have the best they can :) I took this video after installing my new Dyna, this is with the launch limiter at 6000rpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW9Yaa-3oUc

That bike sounds awesome....have you gotten a chance to take it to the track yet?

Not since the new Dyna, ran out of good weather :( I'll be back in spring though. Thanks bud!!

+1 i don't understand why so much "mechanical advance" on the ignitech curve!!
Even 40° is a bit far from safe...

Did they really dynotest this curve??

Back