Tires to old?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RYANR

Reaction score
hello all I have just checked my tires on my new to me 2005 vmax it has Dunlop 404 s dated may2012 and May 2011 not cracked but too old I guess. I like rwl tires but what is made,491 and qualifier are not very sticky also I don’t think the paint or stick on would work? Any thoughts. Thanks ryan

When I bought my Max. They had 10 year old tires. Caused the front one to death wobble on me something fierce. Just cause they dont look bad doesnt mean they are bad. Old tires on a car...one thing. One blows...you have 3 to help you. Bikes....why chance it. One fails, you lost 50% of your tires.

When I bought my 05 a few months back, date code was 2004, tread looked great, death wobble above 75mph. Replaced them right away, problem went away,

I know RV/Truck tires go bad with age and "blow" but has anyone had a blow-out on motorcycle tires because they were too old?

I'm just wondering if the weight of the vehicle significantly contributes to the "Blow-out." If so a motorcycle tire would be less likely to fail in that case.

When I bought my 05 a few months back, date code was 2004, tread looked great, death wobble above 75mph. Replaced them right away, problem went away,
Flat spotted. It sat in one place for too long. I had the same thing happen to a Volvo once. That's why when I park my Vmax for the winter I put it up on the center stand.

English people are not allowed to use tires over 6 years old. I live in FL but I pretend I am English.

English people are not allowed to use tires over 6 years old. I live in FL but I pretend I am English.

What about the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish?

But seriously...

In the UK there is no limit on the age of tyre provided it satisfies the following criteria:

Tyres
  • Tyres must be of suitable type and in good repair
  • Tyres must be seated correctly in their rims
  • Tyres must be fitted in accordance with direction indicators on the sidewall
  • All tyres must be either cross ply or radial, not a mixture
  • Tread must be clearly visible over the whole tread area
  • Tread must be at least 1mm deep throughout the circumference and 75% of the width of the tyre*
Other reasons for your tyres failing the motorcycle MOT test
  • It shows a cut longer than 25mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre that reaches the ply or cord
  • It shows a bulge, lump or tear caused by partial failure of its structure
  • It fouls another component of the motorcycle
  • Ply or cord is exposed
  • The valve is seriously damaged or misaligned
  • The tread has been recut

note: the VOSA manual states that the depth of tread is measured “…throughout a continuous circumferential band measuring at least three quarters of the breadth of the tread.” This excludes tie-bars, tread wear indicators and other features designed to “wear out substantially before the rest of the pattern and other minor features.”

*examples of unsuitable tyres: car tyres, motocross tyres, racing tyres, or any tyre stamped with ‘NHS’ or ‘not for highway use’. You must also fit tyres of the correct load and speed rating for the bike and rear tyres must not be used on the front wheel or vice versa.

I think, I read somewhere about GB 6 years law. Maybe
I was drunk...

To add to this the tire is probably +15 years (more like +20 years). They are dual compound Bridgestone's. It was a good tire in it's day, still no dry rot.

I will probably replace it but just seeing if anyone ever had an old tire issue.

They blow like fireworks on my fifth wheel

you weren't drunk - there was new legislation that banned old tyres on commercial vehicles - came about after a crash with fatalities caused by old tyres on I think it was a coach .... but does not affect cars/motorcycles.

I bought 15-years old Bandit 1200 with 7 miles (yes, only 7 miles) on odometer, it had original tires with hair on them. The reason for that mileage:
the owner lived on dirt road, which was actually sand road, Bandit couldn't be ridden there. I rode the bike a few miles, it was scary. I sold the bike with old tires and they were proof of original mileage. 2001 Bandit with tires, manufactured in 2000.

A big factor is exposure to UV light. If the tires are covered or the bike is stored inside, they will degrade slower than those stored exposed to sunlight. Another factor is temperature and also your riding style. I had a 10+ year old front tire on my Fatboy, but it is stored in a garage in SoCal with a cover (also it's a Harley and they are slow). I have since replaced it due to cracks on the sidewall. The rear tires are another story. If you are riding, they will likely wear out before they significantly age. I've gone through 4 or 5 rears to one front. Now that I have four motorcycles, tire usage will be reduced for each bike and I'll need to start paying closer attention to the tire ages.
Perhaps tire sellers came up with a plan to sell more tires by suggesting the manufacturer use a date code, based on accidents with old tires. Or it was driven by DOT. This started around 2000 with the use of a four-digit date code. There was a manufacture production code as part of DOT's tire identification number back in 1971, but that was not really used as a start date to determine age like it is now. (or maybe used during accident investigations). I've gone into America's tire with my 1995 300ZX and they won't fix a tire older than 6 years, even though corporate policy is no work on tires 10 years old.

Thanks for your reply. I'm on the same page. I don't think older tires on a motorcycle are too much of a risk or there would be more law suits.

I usually store my bike inside and at a low temperature. Except last year due to the pandemic it was in a storeage unit in hot Florida for a year. When I opened the unit there was black rubber flakes by the tires. That started me thinking.

I looked at the date code tonight and the tires are 18 years old. Kind of scary thinking I was going 75 mph across Florida last year for an hour on a 90 degree day on 17 year old tires.

Maybe I'd get 20 years out of them but I'm old and too wimpy to try.

Anyway glad no one here had a blowout

On a side note I rode my 1976 Can-am motorcycle (yes Bombardier made real motorcycles) with original tires last week with no blowouts. Granted I did not go over 20 mph in my field but they still survived

Flat spotted. It sat in one place for too long. I had the same thing happen to a Volvo once. That's why when I park my Vmax for the winter I put it up on the center stand.

Thanks for the merminder, put my Vmax on the center stand tonight

It is not just about cracks, rubber hardens and loses grip.

you have to adapt your riding to the feel that the tyres give the bike, just like you adapt to road conditions

you weren't drunk - there was new legislation that banned old tyres on commercial vehicles - came about after a crash with fatalities caused by old tyres on I think it was a coach .... but does not affect cars/motorcycles.
I believe there is a date code on every bike, car and commercial vehicle tyres here that makes it easy to catch the commercials out of date. I also believe it’s just round the corner for every vehicle to be checked for out of date tyres in the UK.

I believe there is a date code on every bike, car and commercial vehicle tyres here that makes it easy to catch the commercials out of date. I also believe it’s just round the corner for every vehicle to be checked for out of date tyres in the UK.
There is a date code in a oval on the side wall. If you look it up there are articles on motorcycle tires & 8 yrs. is replacement date.

When I bought my (Barn Find..:( ) 85 vmax earlier in the year, the owner told me the tires were still brand new. Didn't think nothing of it. They looked good from 6ft up. When I got it home and started to dissect it, I noticed small cracks all over them. Went to google and it told me how to date motorcycle tires. They turned out to be 5 years old. Bike was not stored properly and just sat in the back of a big warehouse uncovered for years. Full of thread and titties, but cracked all over.

Back