Tires to old?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure nitrogen is a bigger molecule but it's still a molecule, super small right. So maybe you go a year and a month without adding pressure rather than a year. They also say it runs cooler. I don't believe it. There is no air conditioning effect. Besides the rubber gets hot running on the road not the air inside the tire. There also might be less of an oxidation impact. But if the tires are so crappy that air can quickly destroy them then I say buy better tires.

What I think contributes a lot to destroying tires and rims is the soapy water installers use to make it easy for them to put the tire on the rim. I've seen them just soak the tire and rim. That water/soap is not going anywhere inside that tire and just eats everything.

I have a tire machine and change my own tires. Without tire lube. Yea it makes it more of a fight but I don't have tires leaking around the rim or corroded rims.

Again I could be wrong and will not defend anything I've said here :)

Sure nitrogen is a bigger molecule but it's still a molecule, super small right. So maybe you go a year and a month without adding pressure rather than a year. They also say it runs cooler. I don't believe it. There is no air conditioning effect. Besides the rubber gets hot running on the road not the air inside the tire. There also might be less of an oxidation impact. But if the tires are so crappy that air can quickly destroy them then I say buy better tires.

What I think contributes a lot to destroying tires and rims is the soapy water installers use to make it easy for them to put the tire on the rim. I've seen them just soak the tire and rim. That water/soap is not going anywhere inside that tire and just eats everything.

I have a tire machine and change my own tires. Without tire lube. Yea it makes it more of a fight but I don't have tires leaking around the rim or corroded rims.

Again I could be wrong and will not defend anything I've said here :)
For my tyres I cannot buy any better, Pirelli's and Continentals are the best on the market for car and van, and the Pirelli's are now a mess after only about 6 years, and only about 2k miles. Air does heat up as the tyre turns on the ground, I can watch my pressures increase on each tyre by 1 psi at a time, and from start and maybe 4 miles down the road they are up 3 psi. Thrash the car and they are up 5 psi as heat expands air. There are rubber based lubricant/sealers for car tyres when putting them on the rims, I would definitely not use water either.

Anyway it would be good to get a conclusion on the best way forward as it's not going away. I might look into storing at half pressure's with nitrogen, back wheel on center stand or other, and same with front wheel (although semi-rounded camper van wheel stop might be better). Same with car/van but using rounded wheel supports all round.

That's about my ideas running out.

Found the Bike in Austin Texas. Made a few changes.
View attachment 81533View attachment 81534
IMG_0157.JPG
Okay, so you guys are forcing me to throw up another gratuitous shot of my 78 GL1000. It was fully Vetterized when I bought it and I put it on a serious diet. Big girls need love too. Been pretty much in this configuration for 8 years. Did go through a dual Weber phase for a while, but went back to the factory rack.

Pirelli's and Continentals are the best on the market for car and van, and the Pirelli's are now a mess after only about 6 years, and only about 2k miles.
Here in the states, Pirelli's and Continentals are pretty much shit.

In fact, I just put Continental Extreme Contact tires on my old Volvo last week because they're a whole lot cheaper than Goodyears. About 60 dollars per tire cheaper.

In fact, I just put Continental Extreme Contact tires on my old Volvo last week because they're a whole lot cheaper than Goodyears. About 60 dollars per tire cheaper.

I've had a lot of bulging sidewall issues and failures with Goodyear. Maybe just my luck but I steer away from them

Continentals for vans are much more expensive that just about any other make I can think of. Ive got 86k miles on 3 of them, and still going strong.

Are you sure about Pirelli Zero’s being shit. They use them on racing cars, Porsche fit only these tyres on 911’s. 4 cost me £1500

hello all I have just checked my tires on my new to me 2005 vmax it has Dunlop 404 s dated may2012 and May 2011 not cracked but too old I guess. I like rwl tires but what is made,491 and qualifier are not very sticky also I don’t think the paint or stick on would work? Any thoughts. Thanks ryan
Me Max and yeah Commander 3s waiting. Waay lighter. You can feel it.

Me Max side walls so stiff you need Thor to get them off but If your near Dallas I have 3 Commander 2s barely scuffed. 1 rear 2 fronts. Sell all for 300 keep 2 rims if ya like get that stuff outta here. Or whatever you wanna work out.

Attachments

• 16384935512428855584525050386095.jpg
    16384935512428855584525050386095.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 16384936048392760956751849892174.jpg
    16384936048392760956751849892174.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 11
The one big thing with nitrogen is that the pressure in the tire stays consistent.
Old wives tale.

It has racing implications but that's it. In the day to day grind of commuting it makes absolutely ZERO difference at all. The air in anybody's tire is already roughly 80% nitrogen. That's what the entire atmosphere is made up of.

Replacing the 20% of the content that is oxygen in the typical street tire makes absolutely zero difference at all.

Fact is that off the shelf tires and rims are simply nowhere near the precision they need to be to take advantage of the 1 m / 1,000,000,000,000 difference is size of the nitrogen vs oxygen molecule size.

Old wives tale.

It has racing implications but that's it. In the day to day grind of commuting it makes absolutely ZERO difference at all. The air in anybody's tire is already roughly 80% nitrogen. That's what the entire atmosphere is made up of.

Replacing the 20% of the content that is oxygen in the typical street tire makes absolutely zero difference at all.

Fact is that off the shelf tires and rims are simply nowhere near the precision they need to be to take advantage of the 1 m / 1,000,000,000,000 difference is size of the nitrogen vs oxygen molecule size.
If you can stabilise pressures under different temperatures (rain, snow, sunshine) by using nitrogen surely that has to be good for long term tyre wear and of course safety. Most of my driving is now fairly local, but my tyres still wear.

Also what about the corrosion to rubber that oxygen at only 20% promotes. Molecules may be tiny, but it would depend on the bonding of the tyre and its ability to allow various sized molecules to pass through at different rates. I think it would be interesting to see a simulation of these events.

I’m seriously thinking of changing to nitrogen.

If you can stabilise pressures under different temperatures (rain, snow, sunshine) by using nitrogen surely that has to be good for long term tyre wear and of course safety.
Again, that's not true. There's a LOT of misinformation and hype around Nitrogen in tires.

The size is so negligible that again unless you're dealing with EXACT, PRECISE measurements (which in street cars/bikes you are not) then it's useless. Think about it: Nitrogen freezes at -356 F and Oxygen freezes at -361 F. In the absolute most extreme case you can get there's only a 5 degree difference between the two.

In day to day driving, there is ZERO difference at all, even if you swing from 10 degrees below zero up to 100 in the same day.

The only time that actually makes any difference at all is in an extreme case like Formula 1.

In F1 when you have the finest craftsman on earth running the most exact, precise machinery on earth to machine an essentially perfect rim that has no need to be balanced and you're mounting a tire that is literally hand made to exacting specification that also requires no balancing, the mountings are as close to perfect as humanly possible, the clearances are absolutely perfect one end to the other, then yes. Nitrogen can help you.

You also have to take into account that the tires will be going from a room temperature when mounted to a warming blanket at around 175 degrees and can reach temperatures up to 300 degrees on the track.

Your car or bike will never, ever do that or even come close to it. They are also hell and gone from being made anywhere near as perfect, which is the ONLY advantage Nitrogen has.

The old wives tale is that since the molecule is bigger it will leak less.

In theory, yes. That is true. But when you're talking about a rim so out of round and true and a tire so lopsided in construction it takes you an entire ounce of weight to balance it out then you are living in some sort of fantasy world if you think having 1 one TRILLIONTH of a meter's difference in molecule size is actually helping you.

Back