tranny stuck in gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have an '85 max with no engine or tranny modifications. a few days ago i was riding locally and couldnt shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. it shifted only in 1st & 2nd gears. when i got home & parked it, i put it in 1st gear and covered it for the nite. the next morning i tried to shift it into neutral, but it wouldnt come out of gear. i thought that maybe the clutch master cylinder wasn't building up pressure so i rebuilt it, installed & bled it- the problem still exists. any ideas/suggestions? thanks, john

thanks KJ, i was hoping to hear that it may be something simpler like a bad slave cylinder or clutch pack. i ordered both those parts and will replace them before continuing on to disassembling the tranny.....something i dont look forward to.

You dont need to take tranny apart. THe segment is on the end of the shift drum. It is under the clutch cover. It is behind the clutch hub but you can see it just to the rear of it. It is easily replaced. Replace it with the new style segmant holder and it will not happen again. I believe you can get these parts from Sean.

Jim

thanks for the input jim, can you send me info as to where i can buy the new style segment you mentioned. is it available from an online retailer? to replace the segment(s) do i have to remove the clutch boss to get at the shift segment or is it mounted to another shaft parallel to the clutch? (any fotos/drawings you could send would be a great help). thanks again.........john

Use the link noted earlier in this thread. It will take you to this problem that has been previously discussed. That thread has pics too.

Sean

here we go again. you were right on in your diagnosis, the reason i couldnt shift was that a pin from the segment had come out of place. the cheapo OEM retainer had bent & let the pin come out of the segment. i replaced all the parts with the ones i ordered, reassembled everything with all new clutch plates and now i have a different problem: i have a very hard time finding neutral. the tranny will shift, but feels like it momentarilly comes out of gear between 1st and 2nd while on the road. also, the neutral indicator light doesnt go on. i tried to make sure i matched up the alignment of all the parts as they were before i took them off while reassembling them. something misaligned maybe? any ideas?

Back