Trying to help an old friend of mine,need some tips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
Whats up guys,A friend of mine that I used to work with asked me to come up and look @ his vmax yesterday.He's the original owner of an 85 Vmax,never had any issues with it,always had a mechanic do the carb cleaning and syncing....The last time he had it done(last summer),he said it ran fine for a half an hour then all of a sudden it started acting up on him and never got any better.I went up yesterday to see if I could help but I didn't have alot of time to really get into it....I did notice the slides were sticking so I cleaned 'em up and got them moving freely but the problem still exist,It will start up every time but always with a little bit of choke , no matter how warm it was.Idles really nicely...But as soon as you give it any throttle at all it dies just like you're throwing a switch.It's obviously in the carbs but I'm wondering if there is something specific I should look at.I'll look up how to do the Pea-shooter and shot-gun on it I'm sure those will be a couple of the suggestions.I Myself after seeing his carbs believe the person who cleaned his carbs didn't do a very good job.Thanks

You aren't trying to rev it with the airbox off are you?

Sean

It's good you need choke when cold but you shouldn't need much if any when warm. Check simple stuff like fuel in the float bowls. It should be clear w/o any debris coming out. Check your fuel filter, air filter and boots. After that, try the peashooter, etc. If all else fails, time to dig into them and give them a cleaning.

Just a thought ,..but it sounds like the brass orifice are plugged ,..how reliable is the mechanic that worked on the carbs,....I know of quiet a few stories from others about different equip that was taken in to get serviced and was skipped due to back log,...but charged for the work.
All it takes is a PJ or MJ to be waxed up to create a bunch of different inconsistant problems that will drive you nutz.
Would seafoam help clean the jets out guys?

it did it with the air box on or off,does that actually make a big difference?I wasn't aware of that.I'll probably have to make time to break them down I guess just to be certain.thanks

It's not going to rev right without the airbox (with the lid on too).

Sean

I questioned the quality of the last cleaning of his carbs because to me it didn't look like anything had been disassembled.When I took the side cover off one of the carbs the screws didn't look like they had been gotten into recently and they were tighter then hell.Put it this way,after I pointed out to him my observations on his carbs. it didn't sound like he would be going back to his old mechanic.You would think that if you were the only person to work on a mans bike for the past 24 years you would strive to do quality work.He charged him almost 500.00 for a rebuild and cleaning and it sounds like I'll be the one to have to make it right....I don't mind doing it because he is a good friend but it's sad you can't count on people to always do thorough job.I'm trying to keep him from selling it.Aside from this glitch it's a well kept 85,hate to see him get rid of it after all these years.Thanks again guys.I think I'll go for a spin now,later

Sean...It won't rev at all,soon as you twist the throttle the slightest bit it dies just like you're shutting off the fuel...never ran into that on my bike and mine sat for much longer than his,my previous owner only put about 1100 miles on mine in the 12 years he had it,but I know these machines are really particular about their carbs

I don't know enough about these carbs to actually know the problem, but if i were to hazard a guess i would say when you crack the throttle it isn't getting any fuel, maybe the idle cct is ok but the mains are plugged ?

I not an expert either so any tips are helpful,thanks..I'll check those also but I'm sure I'll be breaking them completly down for a good cleaning.Thanks for chiming in,How does your 85 run?and how long have you had it?later...

The pea shooter DOES work. It sounds like you're are pretty bad off.

One suggestion. Make sure all the paint on the bike is covered and that if you spray into the carbs you cover the open side of the carb with a towel so not to spew carb cleaner all over the bike. I didn't learn this a hard way but I imagine some have.

Carb cleaner will eat paint.

The shotgun and seafoam have both worked for me in the past. You're past the seafoam stage though.

Chris

Back