Tuning Fork Emblem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendini

Reaction score
Hi there I am new to this forum having just purchased a 1985 (1986 year model) Vmax recently imported from the US. It is missing the "tuning fork" emblems either side of the dummy tank/airbox cover. I want to put the correct ones on and have just had a pair of poor quality copies sent from the US. Can anybody tell me the correct diameter/size, what the Yamaha part no. is for OEM ones and where I can get them from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Hi there

Thanks for the Part nos. Can you tell me if they are handed i.e. one number is for LHS emblem and the other part no. is for the RHS? or if they are they the same side to side but one part supersedes the other i.e they are slightly different styled early/late but interchangeable. Please clarify?

Thanks

Mark

p.s. I will have to try harder to get the oil light on!!!

Yea, not sure why they have diff part numbers. I should have some used ones on hand but not sure if I have new on hand at this time (I have new side cover "Vmax" logos).

Sean

Hi there I am new to this forum having just purchased a 1985 (1986 year model) Vmax recently imported from the US. It is missing the "tuning fork" emblems either side of the dummy tank/airbox cover. I want to put the correct ones on and have just had a pair of poor quality copies sent from the US. Can anybody tell me the correct diameter/size, what the Yamaha part no. is for OEM ones and where I can get them from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Welcome to the forum. Good luck hunting for those parts. Don't be too-hung-up on getting 1985/6 emblems, I'm not sure if those ever changed along the years. You could probably use ones ordered from a 2007 model and no-one would ever know the difference. That said, someone is gonna inform me that one or another was slightly-different for one year. I don't think it matters much, unless you were trying to claim "all-original," or something.

Just don't try to submit your 1985 build-date, but 1986 model as a 1985 model for the First-Year Registry. They take that very seriously around here!

I peeled mine off and used them for rear window ornaments on the last truck I had.

I thought of that for the chrome script side panel VMax emblem, but here in FL they'd think it was for a snowmobile or something:biglaugh:

You could also use them on the downtube caps.

Yamaha does have different emblems but only to differentiate between the Motorsports and Music divisions. The main differences are that the motorsports tuning fork arrows "pierce" the outer ring whereas the music tuning fork does not.
Here is a picture that explains the difference between the musical and motorsports divisions:
tuning fork diferences.jpg

Yamaha does have different emblems but only to differentiate between the Motorsports and Music divisions. The main differences are that the motorsports tuning fork arrows "pierce" the outer ring whereas the music tuning fork does not.
Here is a picture that explains the difference between the musical and motorsports divisions:
View attachment 38051

My God this Forum is a cornucopia of Knowledge!.

Hi All

Thanks to everybody for the replies. I have ordered the correct badges (I hope!!) from CMS because I am in the UK and it works out cheaper than trying to get them from your US supplier. I will let you know when I get them, if they are "all good" and if there appears to be any difference in the two part nos.?

Thanks again

Hi All

I have received the two emblems as per the correct part nos. you supplied. They are slightly different side to side. They are moulded with a curve that follows the profile of the dummy tank. The correct items are much better quality to the other ones I bought. The cheaper ones are thinner and flex (not curved). The tuning fork design is in relief against the black on the proper ones and the design is much sharper. (see photo) It was worth spending the extra money. The tank looks much better with the colour broken up!! Thanks again for the info

Attachments

• 29072013381.jpg
    29072013381.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18
Back