using droid and tapatalk?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll agree that Android has been going pretty nuts with phone releases and in between each monthly new phone, there's a firmware update seemingly about every day.

But at the same time it shows Google is really standing behind their product and trying to improve it as fast as possible.

What pisses me off about apple, and why I'll never buy one of their computers, is how they build-in obsolesce into their stuff. My ipod touch is a little over a year old, which is apparently old enough for apple to kick to the curb. Apps that used to work fine update for new firmwares, and now either don't work or crash constantly coughNETFLIXcough. Apple blocks big features in firmware updates on older devices. I had to jailbreak my 2g to get multitasking and the other stuff thats already in the firmware it uses, that apple blocked out. The battery is starting to go on it, so I stopped at the local apple store to ask how much it would be to get a new battery, since I'll be dammed if I can figure out how to open it. First thing they say....better off to buy a new one. You'll get a camera and a new screen and multasking and this and that. I don't want any of that, I want a new battery put in the one I have. Apple is the textbook definition of a "disposable society". Don't fix it, don't upgrade it, just toss it and buy a new one. To me that's like junking a Vmax because it needs new tires.

I love the device, the company behind it bugs me.

I love apple and their philosophy. I see it from a company owners prospective though. It's smart business. We have a Gen II iPod touch and it works as well today as it did the day we bought it.

The reason they don't allow the gen II to multi task and do other things is because it's a power hog. the ram isn't high enough to reliably do it, and the battery life would suffer as well.

I see NO reason apple shouldn't come out with new items. Hell... Everything is that way IMO. Cars, boats, PC's, bikes.

Say I bought a 2006 GSXR 1000 and then in 2008 they came out with a new one with more HP and a power control feature that lets you toggle different power maps. Do you think that the 2006 should be upgraded for free then?

Chris

You completely missed my point.

Do I expect Yamaha to come swap my "old" 1200 for a brand new 1700? Of course not.

But as you put it, lets take a more modern example. Say Suzuki comes out with an improved ECU flash that affects 06 and up liter bikes. More power, better economy, whatever. Everyone brings their bike to the dealer to get the re-flash. However, the dealer is instructed to hold back the "power and efficiency" part of the flash, and only give the part that re-calibrates the fuel gauge for 06 and 07 bikes. Only the 08s and up get the full update, despite every bike being able to take advantage of it. When the 06-07 owners complain, Suzuki flat out lies and says their bikes aren't compatible, after aftermarket tuners have successfully flashed an 08 tune onto an 06 and gotten the same power gains Suzuki claims are impossible.

Apple does the exact same thing. They make a big stink about an update, failing to say only brand new devices get all these cool new features. When people went "wtf", they said the older ones don't have the necessary hardware to use these features, after third party developers have already successfully done it, and made the means to widely available. My 2g multitasks and shows custom wallpapers just fine. Hackers have also successfully run the "intensive" new games and such that are locked out for only new devices on old ones also, with no noticeable loss of performance. Apple's hardware excuse is crap and they know it.

Of course Apple should release new, improved devices and firmwares. Yamaha should release new bikes with new engines and new styles. That DOESN'T mean anyone with the old version is instantly a red-headed stepchild they want nothing to do with.

If someone else made a solid competitor to the ipod touch I'd ditch it in an instant, for no other reason that Apple's business pisses me off, their smug, holier-than-thou store employees piss me off, and most of all their flat out BSing me really pisses me off. Anyone listening over there in Google-land?

Would you rather them offer nothing? Maybe it can be like it used to be. You bought a phone and what you got, you threw away when you were done.

Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it should be. I have to side with Apple here. To me it's like people thinking they deserve "free" insurance when all they do is sit at home. I have no issues upgrading to the newer hardware. Yeah, it sucks when you buy a new device that's obsolete two months later, but it's not like your device is worse then when you bought it. It still does everything you liked about it when you bought it. My buddy upgraded his original Droid from 1.6 to 2.2. He saw highly diminished battery life and a very latent OS. He wishes he'd never done it.

Overall I think it's a VERY smart business plan! Apple is in the business to sell hardware with their software installed. Seems to me they're doing pretty well at it. I can't wait till Verizon gets the phone. It'll explode the market.

I'd also like to add that iTunes makes the iPhone SO much more of a complete device as well. I have to use a third party program to get music and such on the desire. (double twist) Why wouldn't Google create something like this?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back