V Boost and Carb Tuning ?'s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so does anyone know if that is the correct part number. the just look like the PAJ #2 from the screw head side.

well i guess thats 184736 is the correct part number. I took the mains old mains out (DJ 170's) and put in the Mikuni 150's the bike now idles better and runs WAAAAYYYYY better at high RPM. just that when i go WOT in 4th gear from 3700rpm on to 9000rpm it slightly bucks at 4500rpm then again at 5600rpm. After that it pulls all the way to 9k.

The other thing i noticed was once i go from Cruise to WOT at any RPM it doesnt pull smooth. Its kinda burps. (BURRRRRR BUrP BURP BUrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

what do i need to adjust now?

$285 Doesn't sound too bad. I paid $212 for just a rear tire install. ME880.
Thing that pissed me Off Today though. I was looking closer at the tire today, and it seems they decided to put a 150/90/15 on it, instead of the the 170/80/15 I ordered!
I was happy when I thought I had the 170 on there, but now I'm not. So Now I will not be going back to Cycle World of Daytona. Unless they come up with a Big Effin Discount! :bang head::bang head::bang head:

I paid $150 installed for an 880,and it was the 170

well i guess thats 184736 is the correct part number. I took the mains old mains out (DJ 170's) and put in the Mikuni 150's the bike now idles better and runs WAAAAYYYYY better at high RPM. just that when i go WOT in 4th gear from 3700rpm on to 9000rpm it slightly bucks at 4500rpm then again at 5600rpm. After that it pulls all the way to 9k.

The other thing i noticed was once i go from Cruise to WOT at any RPM it doesnt pull smooth. Its kinda burps. (BURRRRRR BUrP BURP BUrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

That's definately the needle circut.What is the set up? All stock?

I paid $150 installed for an 880,and it was the 170

$159 is the cheapest I could find here in Central Florida. The rest was mounting and what not! Plus nobody had the 170, except Cycle World, because I told them a week in advance that is what I wanted. But apparently Cycle World doesn't know how to read a tire size!

Ohh well... Next time I'll be more of an ass when getting my shit done!

well i put about 8oz. of Sea Foam in the bike and adjusted the mixture screws to 2.5 turns out. (that where they were when i start) but now the bike runs like total crap. Is this due to the Sea Foam? it now stall for a good 3 to 5 seconds at 4600rpm then again at 6000rpm.

Also pulled the plugs they are a brown toward the base and white on the tip. when doing so i pulled one of the wires out of the NGK cover so we tested how the bike idled on with one plug wire unhooked i there was absolutely NO difference in sound or idle. Rehooked the plug and restarted. then after listening to the idle for about five mins we noticed that while i had the bike standing upright it idled ruffer and stubbled more than when in was leaning on the Kickstand toward the left? would this suggest a bowl problem?

I would make sure your plugs are firing.

I don't think it should change tone by leaning the bike. I will try it in the morning before I go to work.

It's stumbling at 4600 which is where slides start to open and then 6000 when vboost starts to open. Are you running stock needles or your stage 1 needles?

stock needles with no shims. so do you want me to pull the plugs again put the caps on them and start the bike to watch them fire. I pulled all 4 and they all looked the same a little brown on the base and white on the tips.

Yeah, you can do that or at least take a multimeter and see what the resistance of the seconary coils, wire and boot is. It should be between 18 - 22 KOhms. Just stick a lead up in the boot and ground the other lead.

well i have spark at all cylinders but the bike still has a pause and runs terrible. I was told by a friend that too much sea foam will make them run shitty. soooo im trying to run all of it out of the engine. What SHOULD I TRY NEXT????

This might sound stupidbut,When you put the needles in,Did you make sure that you spun each needle till the little tit on the white plastic spacer popped into the hole in the slide?If not this could make the needles really rich.Another thing to look for,Are you sure that all the needle jets(nozzles) are tight.When they get loose it makes it act really funny too.I had this happen twice.The screw to tighten them back up is in the bowls.I happened to see the nozzle sticking out into the throat of a carb but it could be where it looks good at the time that you look.

yeah i spun each needle. and im pretty sure when i put the jets in i Tightened them REALLY TIGHT!!! i dont really know what other nozzels your talking about other than the PAJ2 and Main Jets. (those are the only 2 jets i have changed) could it possibly be that my PAJ1 is the wrong size? also it could just be the seafoam. I kinda messed and put in the 8oz of seafoam and adjusted the mixture screws both at the same time!!!

No the nozzles are the brass things on the other side where the needles go into.There are pics here somewhere of them coming out.

No the nozzles are the brass things on the other side where the needles go into.There are pics here somewhere of them coming out.

Each carb has a big flathead brass screw in it.This holds the nozzle,needle jet in.Twice I had them come loose.Screw was in the bowl.

Trust me Mark,Any stupid thing that can go wrong has happened to me.Twice this happened,one time my choke linkage came apart way up under there.

Any stupid little thing wrong can screw the whole thing up.

i have no idea what should the stock size PAJ1's be? also to get to that big flat head you have to take the bowl covers off of the side of the carbs correct? If so i have never been that far into the carb. i just removed the stock mains with a tooth pic. but i did notice that whom ever had the bike before me did have that cover off.

Mark, did you ever find out if your bike changed idle pitch and tone when off of the kickstand. (It almost seems like i have a float in the bowl that is sticking, or something by how the idle changes when off of the kickstand)

Latest posts

Back