V Max slowing down syndrome

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
I've owned many bikes over the years from original little FS1E 50cc Yamaha to the current 165hp V Max. I've had full race 500 cc Gamma two stroke Suzukis, an 1200 FJ Yamaha right up to a completely balls out GSXR 1100 RR but I have one abiding memory. All of these bikes were bewilderingly fast in the first 500 miles of ownership but then lost the edge. Is it just me or do we become accustomed to the power and acceleration and then lose sight of what is under us ? My V Max just seems to have lost it's ability to scare me any more, just like all the above did over the ownership periods. Is it complacency or adjustment to the animal between our thighs ? I found myself wondering if my boost is operating correctly this evening on a fast ride home since it just doesn't seem to have the feel of the savage bike I bought three months ago. Don't get me wrong; it still goes like the clappers but do our senses adjust to these things and take the edge off of the the sheer thrill ?

Chris.

It happened with every bike I've had including my 3 Gen 1 Maxs .....not with my Gen 2 though yet, still thrilling to ride every time. So much power on tap at any rpm.

I recently rode my friends heavily modified Busa, it makes 217HP. It pulls like a beast over 7K, harder than the Gen 2 Max.......pretty weak in comparison to the VMax below that though.

I agree, all my prior bikes start to feel slow to me..
But my GenII, even after almost 30,000 miles, still thrills me whenever I twist the throttle.

Rollie's right... Beware the monkey. Once he gets hold of your wallet, you're doomed...
Faster, but still doomed............................ You've been warned.

The new ZX 14 or a Beemer 1000 RR would keep anybody pretty satisfied on the street I would think. With those bike you gotta have a lot of road in front of you to really appreciate the power though, because they like to rev and then they eat up ground fast.

What I like about the Gen 2 is that you don't have to rev the snot out of it to get a rush of power, at any speed.

You are unfortunately getting used to it. I'm right there with you at 165HP to the wheel on my gen 1 vmax. I too am very used to it and not thrilled with the acceleration. Dont get me wrong, I still have a blast on the bike and open her up every opportunity I get, but every time I do I expect more than she delivers..... Unfortunately we adjust and become accustomed to the power. I've built too many fast cars, bikes, dirtbikes, etc to count. From what I've learned, the best way to not get bored with your toy is to drive/ride something that is painfully slow and boring as a commuter....that way when you get to drive/ride your hot rod toy on the weekend, it still feels REALLY fast compared to what you are used to driving and you have a great time on it. I have gotten bored with every single high HP toy that I have built and used on a daily basis. It really does feel like it has gotten slower. I check my boost gauge frequently...looking for some explanation as to why the bike feels slower, however over the years I have learned that this just happens and I either accept it, spend more $$$ on mods to keep me entertained, or sell it and get something else that is new and exciting.......and then the cycle repeats...

The only thing that I have not gotten bored of riding were my 2 stroke 250cc dirtbikes on offroad trails. Excessive power on tap at any time you wanted it, enough to keep the bike on the edge of control (where I have fun), agile and nimble handling for hitting turns and dodging obstacles at ridiculous speeds, huge suspension for effortlessly flying through the air and turning whoops and ruts taller than myself into tiny speed bumps, no rules, no laws, no cops......fun stuff.... Unfortunately, It has gotten hard to find decent riding grounds around here.

Anyway, put a 1500 in her, chain conversion, keep the boost, get her up to around 215-230HP or so, buy a neat, but slow commuter and she should keep you entertained..... for a while....:biglaugh:

I agree with Boostmax on having a slower ride , just not Painfully slow. I like my comfort and don't embarass , as much , the H.D. buddies I ride with from time to time .:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Attachments

• # 2 Group Chip 1152.jpg
    # 2 Group Chip 1152.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 18
I have learned, over my (large number of) years, that I notice what the OP said about most, if not all, of the bikes I have owned. After a while, they don't seem quite so intimidating as when I first acquired them. That's when I find I have to be the most alert and careful when riding. I tend to become complacent with the machine's abilities, and I tend to assume that my own abilities match or exceed those of the machine. Unfortunately, that is rarely the actual case.
Just a word of advice, stay on your toes at all times, complacency can bite you, and bite hard. (Don't ask how I know.)

You get used to everything you ride at some point. I ended up running low 8's @ 175 on my gsxr years ago and that even felt slow after awhile. You always want more

I have learned, over my (large number of) years, that I notice what the OP said about most, if not all, of the bikes I have owned. After a while, they don't seem quite so intimidating as when I first acquired them. That's when I find I have to be the most alert and careful when riding. I tend to become complacent with the machine's abilities, and I tend to assume that my own abilities match or exceed those of the machine. Unfortunately, that is rarely the actual case.
Just a word of advice, stay on your toes at all times, complacency can bite you, and bite hard. (Don't ask how I know.)

+1......I find that at least once a year I have to "reset" myself, that is conciously heighten all my senses and sensibilities while riding. Need to stay as safe as possible out there on the street.....but still have fun.

You are unfortunately getting used to it. I'm right there with you at 165HP to the wheel on my gen 1 vmax. I too am very used to it and not thrilled with the acceleration. Dont get me wrong, I still have a blast on the bike and open her up every opportunity I get, but every time I do I expect more than she delivers..... Unfortunately we adjust and become accustomed to the power. I've built too many fast cars, bikes, dirtbikes, etc to count. From what I've learned, the best way to not get bored with your toy is to drive/ride something that is painfully slow and boring as a commuter....that way when you get to drive/ride your hot rod toy on the weekend, it still feels REALLY fast compared to what you are used to driving and you have a great time on it. I have gotten bored with every single high HP toy that I have built and used on a daily basis. It really does feel like it has gotten slower. I check my boost gauge frequently...looking for some explanation as to why the bike feels slower, however over the years I have learned that this just happens and I either accept it, spend more $$$ on mods to keep me entertained, or sell it and get something else that is new and exciting.......and then the cycle repeats...

The only thing that I have not gotten bored of riding were my 2 stroke 250cc dirtbikes on offroad trails. Excessive power on tap at any time you wanted it, enough to keep the bike on the edge of control (where I have fun), agile and nimble handling for hitting turns and dodging obstacles at ridiculous speeds, huge suspension for effortlessly flying through the air and turning whoops and ruts taller than myself into tiny speed bumps, no rules, no laws, no cops......fun stuff.... Unfortunately, It has gotten hard to find decent riding grounds around here.

Anyway, put a 1500 in her, chain conversion, keep the boost, get her up to around 215-230HP or so, buy a neat, but slow commuter and she should keep you entertained..... for a while....:biglaugh:

dont know where you are in fl but we ride the northern trails in ocala forest all the time. let me know if you wanna ride. theres nothing more fun in the sand than a 250 2 stroke. well, maybe a 125. aside from the max i have a yz250 and a raptor and they dont feel all that fast anymore. the mod monkey has a hold on the raptor right now though...

I'm glad it's just not me. I suppose the "genesis" of power and it's evolution is what keeps us going onward and upwards. Good point about "getting used to it and taking it for granted" from an earlier poster. No matter what; We have to stay focused whatever we ride. Tires down my friends and thanks for the replies.

Chris.

Back