Vacuum hose missing?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayoublaster

Reaction score
I bought an 85 Max about a month ago & have only had a couple of days to work on it so far. I did notice last night when I was changing out the plugs that there seemed to be a vacuum hose missing. I say this because when I removed the spark plug from the back cylinder on the left side of the bike(left side if you were sitting on it) I saw what appears to be a small round opening (about the size of a nickel) that has what looks to be a brass vacuum connection for a vacuum hose. If a hose is supposed to be connected there, can anyone tell me what the hose connects to? If there is one that I supposed to be connected there, then I'll have to see if I can locate the cap that is suppposed to cover up the opening. The bike seems to run fine as it is though. I skimmed through the service manual and didn't see anything referencing this.
On another note, the bike also has what seems to be a emissions cannister on it that I've read on here on how to remove, bit the strange thing is, is that the VIN # doesn't designate it as a California bike. Go figure!

Maybe the PO had a homemade vent system setup similiar to a stage 7. Perhaps the emissisons canister that is on there is part of it:ummm::ummm:

Who knows. You might have to do a little more digging and post up some photos to get a good answer.

What is the brass nipple connected to? I was tthinking along the same line as Mark on that one but then figured if you have the bike running and are missing a coolant hose, you would probably/hopefully notice there is a big issue right away.

I guess I'll need to take a pick of it. As I said, it looks like a recessed opening less than a inch in diameter. The entire recessed part looks like it's inside is brass lined and the the part that the hose would fit on is brass also. I believe that the only reason I can see the internals of it is because it looks like there would normally be a cap covering up the recessed area. I'm pretty sure about that as it couldn't work as a vacuum without the small area covered. The brass nipple itself isn't connected to anything. The upper part of the brass nipple looks like it would have a vacuum hose connected to it and the lower part goes through a divider that would seal off the lower area allowing the hose to pull a suction from the top of the nipple. The area it's located in is directly behind the top of the spark plug. I'm on a boat right now and can't get a picture of it, but I'll post a good pick when I get home which could be today or a week or so down the road.
I appreciate all the help though.

I'm on a crew boat right now getting ready to head out into the Gulf of Mexico, but the winds are too strong offshore right now for them to get us off the boat and onto the oil rig. I run a data aquisition system which pretty much tells the oil company how much gas,oil,and water they are going to get out of the well after they finish drilling it.

Here's the pic of what I was trying to explain. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• PB162688.jpg
    PB162688.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 47
Sorry, I meant it is just a plug. Nothing goes there.

Nice to hear. Excuse my ignorance. Damn that little piece sure does look like a vacuum hose would have went there. Glad to hear it's nothing to worry about though. About time for good news for a change. Thanks again.

Let me clear it up. The brown part (coolant crossover tube) is held in by the roll pin. The coolant tube transfers coolant (see the hose mounted above it) from one side of the head to the other and then around the chambers (it actually flows the other way).

Sean

Latest posts

Back