Vboost Open All The Time

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOTHEMAX

Reaction score
Does having the VBOOST open all the time harm the bike and does it effect fuel economy, if you drive the bike respectfully (Which is hard to do)? I am still heehawing around about what full system exhaust to buy!!! UFO told me that if I buy their exhaust that I should run the VBOOST wide open all the time. True ,False, necessary, not necessary, just bolt the damn thing and go? :bang head:

You'll loose midrange torque and run pretty damn rich with a stock setup. Only time to run tboost or even open vboost is with DJ stage 7 kit. With Morley's kit, I did open boost with stage 7 needles but have since gone back to bigger mains with stock needles and I love it!

As far as what UFO says....they don't know shit from apple butter. Their exhaust is prone to rust and once you pay them you'll probably get your exhaust 2-3 months later....and it probably won't even fit right.

Mark

I've been running Vboost wide open all the time for a few years now with no problems. I will say that at first I may have felt some slight loss of mid-low range but in actuality it will still yank the front wheel off the ground in first with a simple throttle chop and twist.
I think what I felt was that a little different clutch/throttle application was needed to get it rolling from a stop so maybe the throttle is a little less crisp directly off idle.
I run a very accurate wide band air fuel guage and it does not run rich and I'm running stock carbs, Dynojet 165 mains and two coils cut out of the springs with .020 shims under the stock needles. Mileage is a solid 30 ridden hard as fuck:rocket bike: and 34-36 ridden a steady 75-80 on the highway.
I'm by no means a carb expert but it seems to me that if the engine is moving the same amount of air at a given rpm then having Vboost open at lower rpms is slowing the air velocity down through the carbs since it's pulling the same amount of air through two separate carbs instead of the the same amount of air through one carb. This seems like it would lessen the venturi effect in each carb and draw less fuel through the various orifices feeding fuel.
I don't see how it can make it rich without going too big on the mains or needle adjustment.

This is all theory to me and by no means right, and is just my uneducated opinion; but my setup works wonderfully.

I will NOT say it runs better than if I had have left it alone but WTF, I LOVE how the damn thing sounds at idle with the Vboost open. :eusa_dance: Maybe at some point I should make it operational again and see how it affects my 1/4 mile times now that I'm consistent enough at the strip to see the difference:ummm:

As far as HAVING to run it open with any given exhaust, THATS BULLSHIT and I agree with Mark totally.

Rusty

Rusty, you do lose midrange torque at WOT...but it is fine/fun if you just do lower throttle angles than that. It's fun and addicting to get on/off acceleration when you barely crack open the throttle. I love the lopey idle too.

I agree with everything you said. Open vboost lowers velocity and it pulls less fuel from the jets. The carbs atomize the a/f mixture less effectively and that's why the idle is "rougher".

Mark

Rusty, you do lose midrange torque at WOT...but it is fine/fun if you just do lower throttle angles than that. It's fun and addicting to get on/off acceleration when you barely crack open the throttle. I love the lopey idle too.

I agree with everything you said. Open vboost lowers velocity and it pulls less fuel from the jets. The carbs atomize the a/f mixture less effectively and that's why the idle is "rougher".

Mark

That makes sense...

Rusty

The first mistake you made was listening to Jon Cornel at UFO!

Run as fast as you can... Do not spend any money with that man...:bang head::bang head:

Listen to people that have and been burnt for it...:damn angry:

Check out the vendor thread for good and bad vendor recommendations...

HMF is awesome as well as Dale Walkers kit... Kerker is good if you don't mind loosing the center stand tabs. I have my stand off but I can put it back on for servicing purposes. Hindle also makes a nice exhaust but it hangs low to the ground and the cans tend to be a bit long IMHO.

Cheers

I have a stainless UFO system and love it. Had it for about a year/8000 miles now.

I bought it second hand cheap from DJmachinist 'cause he said it didn't fit and wasn't happy with the response from Jon.

It took some "coercion" to install but end result is just fine for $500

What looks like rust is not rust (at least on mine) it's discoloration that needs to be either polished regularly or wiped down every time you ride it. Brushed stainless won't do this, Polished will when contaminants and road grime are left on it and combined with high heat on the front down pipes, The rear down pipes and the rest of the system that stays clean have never done anything other than turn gold like most stainless.

I have a stainless UFO system and love it. Had it for about a year/8000 miles now.

I bought it second hand cheap from DJmachinist 'cause he said it didn't fit and wasn't happy with the response from Jon.

It took some "coercion" to install but end result is just fine for $500

What looks like rust is not rust (at least on mine) it's discoloration that needs to be either polished regularly or wiped down every time you ride it. Brushed stainless won't do this, Polished will when contaminants and road grime are left on it and combined with high heat on the front down pipes, The rear down pipes and the rest of the system that stays clean have never done anything other than turn gold like most stainless.

My SV came stock with stainless exhaust and it too discolors. It's totaly normal. My Walker pipes are ceramic coated and stay beautiful! I polish them a bit every so often and they look great!:thumbs up:

Clyde if your interested in a full exhaust, do yourself a favor and get a Mark’s system or a Morleys hybrid. Sean uses Marks system and his own cans, if I remember correctly. My buddy Steve and I both run full Mark’s system. Steve uses dyna stage 7 and I use Sean’s muscle kit. Sounds amazing, looks as good as it performs. Oh and it weighs quite a bit less.

Clyde if your interested in a full exhaust, do yourself a favor and get a Mark’s system or a Morleys hybrid. Sean uses Marks system and his own cans, if I remember correctly. My buddy Steve and I both run full Mark’s system. Steve uses dyna stage 7 and I use Sean’s muscle kit. Sounds amazing, looks as good as it performs. Oh and it weighs quite a bit less.
I have Black Widows Now. I would like to poke around at Cost and run a full set instead of just the Clip on

What we talking about $$$
I have a technical question for ya or anybody really/: been seeing lots of talk about the V-Boost and is it okay to hang it open full time or to have a toggled for the Sound benefit? Mine sounds bad ass used as intended. Another mentioned running the idle set down to get that fake but throaty Lope. As if in my opinion starving a Vmax for Fuel at idle will affect the Pull of Oils into needed place’s

Back