Venture 1300 tips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I had a guy give me a perfect running venture motor with 20,000 miles on it & I have some Vax heads & cams laying around. I know a few of you have done this so are there any tips or tricks to get a little more power or any thing else I should know about. Its gonna be a while before I can mess with it since I am broke right now just wanted info ahead of time.

Bolt on the heads, cams, pcv breather (part located between the heads), shift shaft, middle gear cover (or move the shifter bushing from the stator over to the middle gear cover), clutch line adapter, neutral sending unit, flywheel (if you want lighter - newer years can't use it at all), pickup assembly is the same for your year so it can stay, coolant transfer tubing, and I think that's the bulk of it.

Sean

It depends on the work done. A lot of times the higher mileage engines will make more power then a fresh engine (but of course won't last as long). 130+ rwhp and 80+ torque. One of the highest numbers with the least work was a 96000 mile shortblock, home ported heads (by the customer), stock cams, stock carbs, stock exhaust. 133 rwhp and 85 lbs of torque.

Sean

Thanks ! This motor has 25,000 on it. I might wait till I have the cash to send the heads out pcw or somewhere & have some porting done on them. I am in no hurry as this trip to Texas pretty much is taking every thing I have right now. I had the stuff boxed up to send to you for chrome but its back under the bench for now this trip was way more important.

After reading this thread, I realized that I missed a few things on my swap. I was trying to use all the Venture stuff I could to keep my old max motor complete. But now I see I have to change the flywheel and pickup. The venture is a '91 (I think, can't remember for sure) and it has one pick up coil with 4 projections on the flywheel. My max is '85 and has 2 pick up coils with 2 long projections on the flywheel. So thanks for that info. Also, on the shift shaft deal, I'm changing to the newer style selector, and am wondering if you can change the shift shaft while doing this. The manual shows the cases split to do it, so I'm not sure if I can do it without the cases split? Sean? Or anyone else know? Thanks guys! This forum is the best bar none!! :punk:

You can change the shift shaft by removing only the clutch cover (and clutch basket) and then taking off the shifter. I may have an older model flywheel and I know I have the pickups if you want to trade (I am running low on the newer pickups).

You also need the center PCV setup changed out since the waterline won't clear your intakes. You need to take one of the bushings out of the stator cover of the venture engine and install it into the middle gear cover of the venture engine. This way it will better support the shift shaft.

I have extra shift shafts if needed. You will also need to add the spacer and clutch steel line adapter or move it over. They aren't all that bad new and I may have them here too.

Email me directly if you want to do a trade on that flywheel/pickup and I can price you the other parts.
Sean
[email protected]

Awesome Sean, thanks! I'll be sending you an email shortly.

Guys,

I've been looking for a donor engine for a build-up core, will a 99' Yamaha Royal Star XVZ1300
engine work?

Maybe but it won't make doo doo for power since I don't think the Vmax stuff will fit (I know the side cover stuff won't and not sure if the compression would be lower). The upside is depending on if it's the tour deluxe it will have the OD fifth already but the gearing in the other gears will be different.

You are looking for a 86-93 engine.

Sean

Maybe but it won't make doo doo for power since I don't think the Vmax stuff will fit (I know the side cover stuff won't and not sure if the compression would be lower). The upside is depending on if it's the tour deluxe it will have the OD fifth already but the gearing in the other gears will be different.

You are looking for a 86-93 engine.

Sean

Thanks Sean, will narrow my search as you suggested. I want to send you the right core for build-up :)

I have a 1300 core that was installed in my spare bike. I've been thinking of doing it myself for my Max, but with my traveling plans over the next year it's a bit unrealistic.

So I'd be willing to part with it if you're interested. Now the thing is, I don't know what state it's in or its mileage. It's complete and was installed in the bike when I got it, but I didn't run it.

If you're interested, we'd need to ship it from Tampa to Sean, and then go from there. lemme know..

I have a 1300 core that was installed in my spare bike. I've been thinking of doing it myself for my Max, but with my traveling plans over the next year it's a bit unrealistic.

So I'd be willing to part with it if you're interested. Now the thing is, I don't know what state it's in or its mileage. It's complete and was installed in the bike when I got it, but I didn't run it.

If you're interested, we'd need to ship it from Tampa to Sean, and then go from there. lemme know..

Sorry that I didn't get back with you earlier, I picked up a complete engine from a local cycle salvage yard from a running 1986 Venture. I really appreciate your kind offer, wish I would have followed up sooner :(

I'm juggling a Vmax project, trying to rebuild the motor in my Lightning, and my GF ruined my clutch in my Acura, so I've got a lot of irons in the fire! :bang head:

Found one other thing that needs swapped. Oil level switch. It may be depending on year of max, dunno. Mine is '85 as the switch is N.C. whereas both the Venture switches('87 and '91) I have are N.O. What it does with the Venture switch is light stays on all the time.

Whoops, sorry about that. The Venture works in the exact opposite of the vmax. If the light goes out then you have it running well lol! Any electricians out there know how to use a relay or something to make them work? Right now the vmax switch grounds out to to complete the circuit and make the light turn on. The venture unit would make the ground circuit open up and not be complete path.

Sean

Latest posts

Back