Vmax rattling noise/ clunky gears

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxiow

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if you can give me an idea as to what could be causing the rattling noise on my 98 max. I Fitted a new diaphram and slide the other day, I haven't had a Chance to balance the carbs yet. At lower revs when in gear it makes a strange noise like a rattle, almost like a bolts loose and a panel is vibrating, (I've checked and scoops, false tank are all secure). Performance wise it seems fine pleanty of power and torque. I changed the oil about 50miles ago and level is fine. The gears arnt the smoothest well compared to my other bike anyway, and it will occasionally find a false neutral. It doesn't always like to go into neutral when I want it to either. I love the bike and hope its nothing seriously wrong. Your input will be appreciated :).

I have a similar experience. My last bike was 2008 zx6r with a slipper clutch and going from that to the vmax was a huge difference. Shifting and finding neutral are exponentially more difficult. I just changed my oil to a diesel oil and the shifting and clunking is much improved. I don't hear too much of a rattle though.

I'm sure the other guys here will chime in as well.

When I changed to 15w40 rotella my bike felt tighter changing gears, finding neutral and no more slippage . It's the marvel medicine for my max now for winter time I run rotella 5w 40 syn for easier starting .As far as your rattling goes can you video and may be pin point area of noise

Latest posts

Back