VMax starter clutch fix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpclynch

Reaction score
Spent 2 hours last night replacing my starter clutch. Here are a few pictures I took during the process:

Ordered the FULL kit from exactrep.com (plus a flywheel puller)
DSCN0543.JPG

DSCN0544.JPG
All 3 bolts holding the starter clutch in place sheared
DSCN0545.JPG

DSCN0547.JPG
The offending parts, worn rollers and broken bolts
DSCN0549.JPG

DSCN0550.JPG

DSCN0553.JPG
Assemble the new starter clutch
DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0555.JPG
Bolt it onto the flywheel
DSCN0556.JPG

DSCN0557.JPG
And it all goes back together
DSCN0558.JPG

Now I won't have to push-start the beast again

Awesome, thanks for taking the time! How much was the kit? Any problems with removing the flywheel?

Mark

Damn Yamaha

I dealt with this for 10 years with my Virago..

I get into the ATV scene and I buy a Raptor 660, guess what, the starter clutches peter out on them too, been through replacing them.

Now the Max:bang head:

€256 for the whole kit + flywheel puller, about $350 I think.

€166 - Starter Clutch
€50 - Flywheel Puller
€40 - Delivery

Included was everything you might need including a gasket, not just the rollers and springs!

The flywheel wasn't that bad. into 5th, on the brakes, a light bit of force and tap the bolt.

I put up a page with some more writing here:
http://www.freehomepages.com/johnpclynch/VMax/StarterClutch.html

Damn, you got robbed. You can get the starter clutch here in the states for $90 or 44 pounds. You can rent heavy duty flywheel pullers from Advance auto or the like.

Mark

I've seen some kits for around $40 (like on oldbikebarn.com) but they are just the rollers and springs whereas I needed the whloe thing. I could be waiting too, with delivery times stretching into the weeks.

We're used to getting robbed over here, sometimes it can be difficult to come by parts and when you get them you pay through the nose. For e.g. last month I could NOT get a new 15" tyre (not even the main distributor) so I went and upgraded my wheel to 17" -- well that's my story and I'm sticking to it :whistlin:

And it isn't just bike parts, I buy 90% of what I want online, the shops are far too expensive!

Ah, didn't realize you were over seas. The $90 was for the ring gear and the whole starter clutch assembly. It didn't include the bolts, I see that yours were shot!

Mark

Mike Barth at University Motors WILL ship overseas (at least he does for me when needed). you will save significantly even with the higher ship cost.

Sean Morley

John

That's it. Any chance you can get a current website from them? The old one is dead. Thanks

Tom

Damn Yamaha

I dealt with this for 10 years with my Virago..

I get into the ATV scene and I buy a Raptor 660, guess what, the starter clutches peter out on them too, been through replacing them.

Now the Max:bang head:
I thought I knew your name from somewhere. Youre a mod on bluetraxx arent you? I was one of the first people to get the L&A one way for the raptor. Yamaha does seem to have problems with their starting systems Ive noticed.

johnpclynch,
Could you describe to me the problems you were having with your starter? I have a 1988 Max and it always starts like it has a weak battery. Are these the same symptons you had or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thoughts anyone?

johnpclynch,
Could you describe to me the problems you were having with your starter? I have a 1988 Max and it always starts like it has a weak battery. Are these the same symptons you had or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thoughts anyone?

Hey Dave,

I moved your post HERE as I am pretty sure that that is your problem. I'm sure his starter wasn't engaging...

Back