Vmax tuning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Difficult1

Reaction score
Good evening. This is my first post, but I've been hanging around awhile taking in a lot of great info. My question is... Does anyone know of someone with a reputation for being a Vmax tuning guru here in Texas? I live in east Texas, but getting my bike to Dallas or Houston would not be a problem. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

Difficult1: Welcome to the Brotherhood....:biglaugh: VMax Brotherhood here at VMF that is....

No real big problems. I just bought this 98 model and it has a stage 2 kit and I just don't think it's setup just right. It seams to load up when running at a slow highway speed (55mph) and when you try to accelerate it just stumbles until the vboost opens. I think it needs someone to tune and sync the carbs who really knows what there doing.

There is no such thing as a stage 2. It's either a stage 1, stage seven, factory pro, or my Muscle kit.

Odds are it's a stage one and will be way too rich. Plus, if you don't have a full header it's likely way too rich. Both are easy things you can probably correct yourself without too much effort.

Sean

You know i've wondered about that. Was there ment to be stages one through seven and it just didn't work out?

No, It varied by the bike. Stage 1 and Stage 3 are available for other models like the Fazer. Stage Seven was the most aggressive kit and drag race only (though they work well on the street).

Sean

There is no such thing as a stage 2. It's either a stage 1, stage seven, factory pro, or my Muscle kit.

Odds are it's a stage one and will be way too rich. Plus, if you don't have a full header it's likely way too rich. Both are easy things you can probably correct yourself without too much effort.

Sean

Alright, I will bite.

Whats the diffrence. I saw you said (I think it was you) that stage 7 is mostly for drag racing. What would be a good kit for a Daily rider who just wants a bit more power? Muscle vs Stage one vs Factory Pro?

I'm of course biased with our kit. However, The stage seven can work well for street driving if properly setup. Our kit makes the same peak power but more midrange and low end. Stage seven focused on high end horsepower.

Stage one is not worth putting on anything. You can reuse the needles with our kit if desired and I can adjust the price of our kit down a bit to compensate (Save $40).

The Factory Pro kit is fine as well but not much different then the stage 1.

Again I will say. If you have stock exhaust or simple slip ons then don't install ANY kit. Slip-ons run best with 1-2 sizes smaller mains and no kit.

Sean

Alright, I will bite.

Whats the diffrence. I saw you said (I think it was you) that stage 7 is mostly for drag racing. What would be a good kit for a Daily rider who just wants a bit more power? Muscle vs Stage one vs Factory Pro?

I have not tried the Stage 7 kit, but have installed the Morley kit and I won't give it up. I'm not a rider that will see a lot of racing nor will I see a sustained amount of time in the higher RPM's. I do like to take it up to speed quickly though and the Morley kit is excellent in the areas that I wanted to be using the RPM range in. Great mid-range and I am also very happy with my top end. It pulls very hard until it gets to the 6500 RPM and then I can feel it really kick in. I would highly recommend the Morley kit. But like I wrote before, I haven't tried the Stage 7 at all. Just my opinion.

Just got back in town and wanted to thank all for the responses. It is a stage one and it has a stock exhaust system. The exhaust has been modified though. They drilled the rivets on the back, removed baffles, then replaced the back plates. Looks stock, but is missing the baffles. I actually like the sound and have always liked the look of the stock exhaust, but I realize that it is not the most efficient. Should I just return the carbs to stock? How?

Find some stock needles (we have them available - $50) and get the stock mains back in it (or smaller then stock ideally - which we have too - $10). Should run even better once that's done.

Sean

Find some stock needles (we have them available - $50) and get the stock mains back in it (or smaller then stock ideally - which we have too - $10). Should run even better once that's done.

Sean

Stooopid question.... is that $50 each and $10 each respectively? There's a Stage 1 in my bike with stock exhaust.... :ummm:

do I have to take the needles out of the carb to find out what i am running? and what am I looking for on the needles?

Stooopid question.... is that $50 each and $10 each respectively? There's a Stage 1 in my bike with stock exhaust.... :ummm:

yes thats his price.

do I have to take the needles out of the carb to find out what i am running? and what am I looking for on the needles?

you MIGHT be able to tell if you remove the airbox lid and push open a slide, but it'd be tough and you'd probably be guessing if its a stage1 or stock b/c you wouldn't be able to see the adjustments.

Back