Vmax vs Fz1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax7

Reaction score
:ummm:I currently own a '99 Vmax and my buddy owns an '06 Yamaha Fz1. We have never tried drag racing the two bikes (and probably never will) but his bike seems to be pretty quick. Curious as to which bike would win in a race if anybody knows.

rider skill has a ton to do with it. You could probably hang with him or beat him through 3rd gear...that is just a guess since I have never raced one

My brother has a 2003 FZ1, weighs 165 lbs with no mods. My 1992, with no mods and I weigh 255 lbs. It is no contest when riding on the street he can just walk away from me at will. I haven't lined up and tried to drag race him as I'm not able to launch it very well. I think I should be able to take him in the first couple gears but that'd be it. I'm sure he'd ride right around me somewhere around 70-80 mph.:damn angry:

I've raced one, a friend, from a stop and also various times starting from different speeds, but both of us using our transmissions to our advantage. Other than from a dead stop to about 40mph there was no race, he waxed my ass every time.

I do outweigh him by about 40 lbs tho'

Rusty

any of you guy's tried swaping bikes and trying it? seems like us max guy's are a little heftier then most lol. I have often wondered this are the guy's faster because they weigth 100 lbs less or are there bikes just faster. BTW I love the FZ1's that was my second choice.

Yeah, I have to tip the hat to the FZ1 as well. Prior to my owning the Max, I wanted an FZ1. Still would like one, although I don't like where they are going with it in terms of aesthetics and ergonomics.

:ummm:I currently own a '99 Vmax and my buddy owns an '06 Yamaha Fz1. We have never tried drag racing the two bikes (and probably never will) but his bike seems to be pretty quick. Curious as to which bike would win in a race if anybody knows.

I raced one here in the 1/8 mile about 2 months ago. It was an 07 model with slip-ons and a power commander. He weighed about 40lbs more than me, but I would beat him in the 1/8 mile. I dont have the time slip here but I believe he was running 7.10's 107 mph I would holeshot him big time out of the hole but he would pull on me hard near the end. I am running 6.90's 100-101. He wasnt that great of a rider, I beleive if the person is a decent drag racer the FZ1 will stomp a mudhole in the vmax's pooper all day long with ease.

Yeah the mph shows he was gonna freight train ya. Also shows he could have ridden it to a better ET as well.

No question the FZ1 is gonna beat a Max all things even. Lighter, more power to the ground, it's a given.

Yeah the mph shows he was gonna freight train ya. Also shows he could have ridden it to a better ET as well.

No question the FZ1 is gonna beat a Max all things even. Lighter, more power to the ground, it's a given.

Yeah they have more HP/Torque plus they are lighter. but they are a bitch to launch off the line and there clutch sucks, the guy asked me if I wanted to make a pass on it, so I took it down the return road to try and get the feel of it, and it was ridiculous. Now if it was for an 1/8 mile wheelie than that would be cake. The clutch is so damn touchy on it also.
But yeah even a poor rider could pull off a 10 second pass on it easy in the 1/4

My wife just sold her 06 FZ1 due to back surgery. I took it to work once in a while to keep the bike fresh while we were trying to sell it. There is no doubt in my mind that the new FZ1 with the aluminum frame, weighing only 440 pounds dry would smoke my 07 VMAX from start to stop. It is the best handling MC I have ever been on. In 6th gear at 100mph the FZ1 feels smooth as silk.

I thought about keeping it, but I don't care for the red FZ1s...only if it were silver or colbalt blue.

I raced one here in the 1/8 mile about 2 months ago. It was an 07 model with slip-ons and a power commander. He weighed about 40lbs more than me, but I would beat him in the 1/8 mile. I dont have the time slip here but I believe he was running 7.10's 107 mph I would holeshot him big time out of the hole but he would pull on me hard near the end. I am running 6.90's 100-101. He wasnt that great of a rider, I beleive if the person is a decent drag racer the FZ1 will stomp a mudhole in the vmax's pooper all day long with ease.
that is kind of what I was thinking. there is a guy who races one from time to time at our local track. he is in the low 11's. His buddy who is lighter was consitantly beating him on a GSXR 600

My wife just sold her 06 FZ1 due to back surgery. I took it to work once in a while to keep the bike fresh while we were trying to sell it. There is no doubt in my mind that the new FZ1 with the aluminum frame, weighing only 440 pounds dry would smoke my 07 VMAX from start to stop. It is the best handling MC I have ever been on. In 6th gear at 100mph the FZ1 feels smooth as silk.

I thought about keeping it, but I don't care for the red FZ1s...only if it were silver or colbalt blue.

Stick, what did you do to fix the fuel injection problems? I read that they were notorious for being bad at the low end in '06 and '07.

Stick, what did you do to fix the fuel injection problems? I read that they were notorious for being bad at the low end in '06 and '07.

In '07 they really cleared it up but it's still there... The fuel injection is like a cars and it shuts off completely when you let off the throttle so when you give it a little it would stumble and then come alive.

I heard rumors about fuel injection problems, but what I heard was that the bike would stumble and grab at low speeds. Never had it happen to me.

I heard rumors about fuel injection problems, but what I heard was that the bike would stumble and grab at low speeds. Never had it happen to me.

I think there's a problem with the recent R1s and poor acceleration when you roll on the throttle at around 5,500 rpm. But, Yamaha finally acknowledged the problem and is offering a fix, IIRC. Same issue?

Back