Vmax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Just finished a ride and stopped at a local Tim hortons for a coffee and was looking out at the parked Vmax... Can't help but think yeah not the best handling... Yeah not the most powerful anymore... Yeah not the most comfortable bike in the world.. But my god yamaha did a nice job on designing a bike that is timeless in styling.... Fucking thing just flows and looks like its moving while standing still....

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Yep!...........I was captivated by it's styling back in 85 and still am..............Tom.

Just finished a ride and stopped at a local Tim hortons for a coffee and was looking out at the parked Vmax... Can't help but think yeah not the best handling... Yeah not the most powerful anymore... Yeah not the most comfortable bike in the world.. But my god yamaha did a nice job on designing a bike that is timeless in styling.... Fucking thing just flows and looks like its moving while standing still....

:thumbs up:

Something the Gen 2 is missing IMO.............

I'm with you man, nobody every believes me when I say my bike is 20years old...

Yep. When I go on runs and all the bikes are lined up in a parking lot, my Max always gets looks next to the customs, dressers and VTX's. Very rarely do I see another Max. Very rarely, but I don't mind having the only one around.

Agreed. You know a design (and engine, for that matter) is the shit when it stays relatively the same for 20+ years!

I can't even imagine back in the day when these bikes had more power than even the largest sportbikes.

I had never heard of/seen a VMax until march of this year. I was shopping around for a used bike to replace my "training wheels" a 1984 Honda VF700S (700 Sabre) that I bought for $800 with the intention of learning how to ride and sell as soon as I felt confident enough that I wouldn't drop or do something stupid with a bike I invested more $$ on.

IMAG0190.jpg

I was looking at Sportsters, Shadows and Vulcans when I saw a pic of a bike that changed my life immediately. I had no idea what I was looking at, all I knew is that I had to own THAT. Found out it was a Yamaha VMax. I started my research, found out it was a V4 and shaft drive, just like my Sabre! The scoops, underseat gas tank, giant (in my opinion) engine, and VBoost, I had to get one now. I bought the first one I found. I love my bike, and I shall never part with it intentionally.

IMAG0528.jpg

Same feeling with me. Did not know of the bike till dec 2011. Now I am on my second one and most favorite, my 2005! The vmax is awesome and bad ass!

Just an example of the draw the Max has:

Two years ago a large local Honda dealer had a bike show. It included vintage and custom bikes. Had a large turnout and trophies for various catagories. Several of us went to the show. I parked my bike about 50 feet away from the roped off show area. Within minutes the crowd had moved over to my bike. The salesmen and mechanics came out of the dealership and gave my bike a look also. My friends said I should have entered the show!

Now my bike is not stock and has a ton of chrome and a custom paint job, but it is not radical in any way.

The Max is the only bike that is accepted by all riders. Harley, sport bike, cruiser and tourer alike. I have been riding since 1958 and have never seen another bike that does this. :clapping:

A friend and co worker of mine who has a very clean late model R1 was admiring and commenting on mine tonight.

When I first saw a poster of the 1985 Vmax, I thought there were some low-life, rat bastids at Mother Yamaha trying their hardest to imitate the V-Twin HD look. Said so out loud the the dealership owner. It wasn't until I saw the spec sheet listing the HP and 1/4 mile times that I started to fall in love with it.

My wifes' Gen II barks at me every time I open the garage door. I have to ignore it to back my Gen 1 out and ride to work. Dang Gen II's are that mean looking just sitting there... In fact, it's managed to get me by the pants legs on more than one occasion, and won't let go til I hit the back dock to park it at work.

Wanted one since 85 but never did any reserch on it. IMO it was the most bad ass bike I ever saw. "Thats all I knew about it". For 17 years I actually thought it was a Vtwin till I finally bought one in 02.:rofl_200:

The one big thing i find is that the fit and finish is good.... For example the way the seat and faux tank come together is fitted... Some cruisers it looks like they slapped on the seat over part of the tank... And then that rubs and chafes the paint on the tank... And the way the pipes smoothly run front to back...its like an artistic drawing... Still can't get over it lol...

Fell in love back in '85...took my mid-life crisis at 40 to finally realize my dream. Don't think I could own anything but again...looks mean, handles well (for what it is) and V-Boost is the nuggets...my wife is constantly catching me just staring at it...I promptly get the "I'm a lunitic gaze" from her...that alone is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my Max currently.

I like the way it looks and sounds and feels. Yes it could handle better. But how fast do I have to enter a turn? It does so well enough for what it is. Obviously if you enter a turn at 100 mph on any bike that really isn't a sport bike you are going to experience the same "Oh shit" feeling.

I had my last real drag car about 15 year ago. It was a 10 second 79 Trans Am with a 4spd and a real honest to goodness Pontiac motor ( 400 ). I had alot of labor into that motor. It was fast and made a hell of a idle ( around 1400 rpm ish ). It has high compression ( dont recall for sure, but it was around 11.5 or 12 to 1 ). It ripped ass. I used to start it just so I could hear it idle for a minute or two. Then shut it off and go to work LOL.

The Vmax isn't quite as bad ass sounding like that car was. But I still like to admire it. When I am at bike night in downtown Romeo area , I am the only Vmax for miles around, 95% harley, some victory's, toss another common bike or two in there and then the odd ball cool vintage or special rare bike. Then there is me. Pulling down the main drag, I might not be as loud as some of the other open pipe big cube Harley bikes, but I ve had people come up to me and say, "Dude, that bike just looks like it means business". To which I reply, "Why yes, your quite right!".

I wouldn't doubt if I am one of the fastest bikes there. I seriously doubt there is too many bikes there that could rip into the 11's without some juice behind. Even if there was, I doubt many of the riders can ride their bikes that way.

It takes a special person to own a Vmax. Usually the kind of person that beats the living hell out of the bike and isn't afraid to do so on as many occasions as possible. Very few people pussy foot around on them. I think that is part of the allure that makes of Vmax owners a group.

Todd

Back