Want your input

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some views from a non-member.

To persuade me to join I would want to be able to understand what the tangible benefits are.
I was a member of the UK V Max Club many moons ago - the 'benefits' were a jacket patch, a sticker that informed others that I was a member, a quarterly magazine and a discount from some vendors.
There was no issue with the patch, the sticker? Hmmm. The magazine content was, at best, average (but that is down to the members contributions not the club) and I never was able to save much from the vendors.
As a result, with little or no perceived benefit I let my membership lapse.

So how do you sell the VMOA?

First off, what is its mission? Do o existing and potential members understand what it is trying to achieve? Does it have a mission statement?

To use a marketing term, does the VMOA 'sell the sizzle' - your promotions should sell the sound and smell of the sausages cooking, not the fact that you are talking about them.

To take a mercenary approach, what's in it for me?
This is where you have to try to be all things to all men (and women).
Social?
Technical?
Entertainment?
Support?
Parts?
Affiliations with other groups?
Discounts? etc.

Do you have like minded folk working within these groups who have the passion to develop that section and move with the times and needs of members?

Those of us who reside outside of the US are unlikely to be able to benefit from most of the features that VMOA membership can (or could) offer.
That said technical and support does cross borders and oceans so perhaps an associate membership that allows access to the site and electronic access to the mag might be considered?

Well done for having the balls to put your head above the parapet to receive the flack (and other smelly, less solid matter :puke:)

I hope all of the posts above will help you develop a stronger organisation. :clapping:

Wow Steve, lots to this post. Hopefully I have addressed some of your points in my previous posts! Completely understand where you are coming from. It is a tough sell when you essentially offer the same stuff that other places give for free. Finding a way to stand out gets difficult and that is why we are working on a lot of different things to do just what you said "sell the sizzle". I totally understand the issues that our International members have! As a matter of fact I stated to the Board just last week that we need to find a way to shed the perception of the club being the "Vmax Owners of America" and get out overseas members more involved. Not sure what I can do yet, but I am putting some time into this and will see where it leads!

Well, over the past two years I have preached that the VMOA would become more transparent in how the Board of Directors conducts its business. So in the spirit of that here is what I have suggested to them and we are discussing it.

What I suggest is a 3 tier membership system:

1) Associate member: Cost $10 per year and gives website and store access

2) Basic member: Cost $20 per year, gives the above access plus access to a digital copy of the Vboost magazine. This would also be the primary option for overseas members as the cost of mailing the printed magazine is enormous hence that is why they pay a higher fee as it sits.

3) Premium member: Cost $40 per year, gives all of the above plus they will receive a printed edition of the Vboost magazine.

As this is really in the formative stages please feel free to add your feedback! The conversation here has been great and thanks guys for keeping it civil!!!

For me personally I do not need a 'hard' copy of the Magazine and more than likely the 2 tier / level would be great for me. I can understand the question of the cost vs. the benefits for some people that have been around V-Max's a long time. They have made their connects and parts sources. They are not getting that much out of the membership per say. But I am new to my membership also and not 'got' that much out of it yet but I have not tried either and my first Magazine was just released not that long either. And I spend more time on this forum than the VMOA site, the VMOA site was just changed over and a lot of the site is new. I was having issues with logon and user issues with the VMOA site but all has been fixed as far as I can tell.

Jim,

i would have no input that hasn't already been discussed here, but why not reach out to other owners associates which are doing well and ask how they did it, what they do etc? maybe you'll find none o them are, or maybe theres a couple out there who do things slightly (or radically) different and can start at least taking some ideas from them.

-g

Jim,

i would have no input that hasn't already been discussed here, but why not reach out to other owners associates which are doing well and ask how they did it, what they do etc? maybe you'll find none o them are, or maybe theres a couple out there who do things slightly (or radically) different and can start at least taking some ideas from them.

-g

Hey there Garrett!! Trust me I have been scouring the internet checking out other owners groups to see how they do their business. The VMOA is on a steep learning curve right now and we need to make sure we do this right the first time. Unfortunately the VMOA kind of sat on its laurels for a long time and dismissed that they would face competition from sites like this one. We alienated Gen 2 owners even before the bike was made by having some of our most respected members crapping on it from its inception. It is going to be a tough haul, but I am counting on the hard effort that we are making paying off in the end. Thanks for commenting and I look forward to everyones continued input.

For me personally I do not need a 'hard' copy of the Magazine and more than likely the 2 tier / level would be great for me. I can understand the question of the cost vs. the benefits for some people that have been around V-Max's a long time. They have made their connects and parts sources. They are not getting that much out of the membership per say. But I am new to my membership also and not 'got' that much out of it yet but I have not tried either and my first Magazine was just released not that long either. And I spend more time on this forum than the VMOA site, the VMOA site was just changed over and a lot of the site is new. I was having issues with logon and user issues with the VMOA site but all has been fixed as far as I can tell.

Good feedback Paul! One issue the VMOA faces is that we span quite a large age group and Vmax experience, if that is the proper term, group. The old school guys like things just the way they are and yet we have a whole new group of owners that want a different experience with the club. One thing the multi-tiered approach to membership will do for us is keep the older members who may be a bit less tech saavy, or just want their paper magazine, happy and yet we can allow folks that want the digital copy to get their mag that way at a discount. I see it as a win win situation where we allow the member to tailor their membership to what suits them best. Look forward to more comments and suggestions!!!

Jim,

in reading all the messages here, I thought of a few more things..

- I agree that shedding the Vmax Owners Of America image is a good thing. More in favor of a Vmax Owners Associatiom of the World, or global anyway. As I said before I'd like to keep my membership, even if I no longer live in the US.

- to bring the mag into the 21st century I feel it's best to go fully digital/online, with an paid option to get a printed version. This way you can better forward plan your print runs and keep the membership fees lower for those who don't need/want paper.

- as a Vmax owner I found this here VMF forum to be the best and most popular online. I lived mostly in the UK and the US, and now in Oz. I found there is a forum in Oz, but it's about to be shut down due to lack of interest. When I was a member I did spend a little time on the VMOA forum, but found that I simply didn't have the time to split between two fora, and also that the overall experience and attendance were so much better here that I just didn't really bother with the VMOA forum. So, my controversial suggestion is: talk to Gary here to see if him and the VMOA can reach an agreement where you give him some financial support, and he gives the VMAO its own area within the VMF. I really believe that everyone who comes here and is a VMOA member would prefer going to one forum instead of two. I also think it would free up VMOA resources by not having to maintain your own server/forum etc but just the content within your area here. Of course this is conditional to Gary being into the idea as well..

- having sorted the mag and forum issues, you could better use the membership resources available to sponsor events for the US members, and make sure international members can benefit from discounts available and the VMOA merchandise.

Hi as a member since 2000 #2365 Vmax rider since 85 im always into chatting and reading about Vmaxs i enjoy talking to other Maxers it seems in my 2months on the forum ive read more articals met more people than in 12yrs in vmoa.I enjoy Vboost mag. its almost like my dues are for a mag. subsciption that doesnt allways come since i can hardley ever get on the web site.Jim i pulling for you to turn this thing around good luck kingman ps i also have a 2010 max

I have been a member since 2007 and have enjoyed the brotherhood I have experianced with other Vmax owners. My favorite part is when we get together to ride, BS, compare work each other has done and learning more about my Vmax through hands on work.
I enjoy the Vboost magazine but it's not why maintain the membership, so I would second a two tiered approach to save the club some $$$'s. I think the local chapters should take a active role in sponsoring (or getting sponsors to donate $'s) for events, creating a local intrest in the Vmax at a dealership level. Jim and the Ontario Vmaxers have done a good job with maintaining a dealership and vendors contact as witnessed by prizes given out at the banquet.

Not that this a huge concern for the VMOA but a lot of people I have talked to locally either do not want to be a part of a group or are in a group. Now with that said the people that do not want to be in a group either have had a bad experience with a group or never tried. I do know of a few other's here locally that own a V-Max and when I asked then about the joining the VMOA they either did not want to join or did not know about the group. Group's have gotten bad names for some of their practices and the way they carry on. Or the stigmata of M/C has turned people away. I do see that as a problem in bring in new members. I was testing the water to see if any of those I knew would be willing to join and form a Ky. Chapter with the VMOA but after what I got as responses, I would not be so sure of trying to open one here.

Latest posts

Back