Want your input

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
As the President of the VMOA I firstly want to thank everyone who contributes to this thread, good or bad, as I need your input. The VMOA needs to adapt and move forward in how we do our business and support our membership. Want I am looking for is input from members and non-members as to what you see as far as what the VMOA can do to either keep you as a member or entice former or new members to join. While I cannot promise that all suggestions will be implemented I can say that I will personally look at all of them and ensure that they receive consideration. What I do not want is rants about the VMOA here. This needs to be constructive in nature as I sincerely want to improve the "VMOA Experience" for the membership. So please feel free to post up your ideas here and lets work together and see where it goes!!

I am not currently a member but plan on it soon but ive seen alot about the Vboost being online only now.. People still like there magazines to take wherever they want but im sure it was a huge cost cut for you guys..

I am not currently a member but plan on it soon but ive seen alot about the Vboost being online only now.. People still like there magazines to take wherever they want but im sure it was a huge cost cut for you guys..

Thanks for the response! The VBoost has only been done in a digital format twice (Winter 2010 and Winter 2011) with the first time as a test to gauge response and the second due to a lack of content which made printing and mailing it impractical from a cost standpoint. We are currently going into print with the Spring 2012 edition which will be mailed out to members in May. Hope to see you at the Spring Ice Breaker in Hamburg!!!

I don't live in the US any more, and I'm not particularly bothered with the mag. I do still own a Max though, and as such would like to remain in the association. However I can't justify the cost, so I wondered if you'd consider having 'honorary members' from other countries, and wave the fees to such members? Like I said, no need to post the magazine (especially with the cost to other countries) although I would consider submitting articles for it.

Grettings Jim Ex-4860 chiming in. You'll here the old "I want a magazine" and I am of that sentiment too. You replied to someone previously that only two issues were skipped. Well, that's half a year. Me, I wanted gatherings, rides, Tech Days or the like be sponsored by the VMOA. What does that mean? Sure some kind of organization such as finding a place, setting the time, planning the ride(s), provide a doorprize or two? Obviously things that are not cash intensive as we know cash is a dirty four letter word there.
CaptainKyle's Tech Day was a success because these exact provisions being met. Even with the rain! You know what Jim, people were ASKING to donate to to subsidize the event. People don't mind spending a few bucks for a "good" event. My question is, if the VMOA does little or nothing, how is that membership building? How does that inspire persons to join? I went to my local VMOA sponsored BBQ at Pine Island Florida and was blown away by the quality of bikes. In the end my opinion is just me and may not represent anyone else. What about a "Drag" day at the track? It don't take a rocket scientist to get people together. Lastly, event coverage because everybody likes to see themselves or their bikes in print!
Hope there is something useful in my rant.
PATMAX

Jim, thanks for being so involved at a difficult time in your life.
clapping.gif

I'd like to be able to see members vote on major issues.
I'm sure a site could be used with a thread regarding voting. That's my big concern.
I'd like to see a lot of the old members, and the wealth of knowledge they have, come back. The V-boost on line is OK with me, because money to print isn't always available. Printed issues are an issue for others, I know.
Steve-o

I'm glad you posted this thread. I've been asking myself when would be a good time to join. A bit of background about me so you understand where I'm coming. Previously, I've joined POCA just because I loved Pantera's but I've never owned one. Membership brought me a lot of useful benefits including access to purchase a pantera at a more reasonable price from members, access to people that owned them for questions and such, and coverage of all their events. I'm married now and that dream will have to be shelved a bit longer. I joined this forum prior to purchasing a VMax and I was going to join VMOA prior as well. The thing that stopped me was that it didn't seem to offer anything. The website was brutally slow or down, there appeared to be no activity in the forums. I couldn't find information on planned events near me and very few events at all. I think there was 1 when I checked last year and it was pretty far away.

If the VMOA was able to foster the community in the manner that PATMAX suggested up above, I'm positive membership would grow. Hearing that you have a magazine coming out in May is enough for me to sign up this month but over the long haul I'd like to see more local activity even if participation requires a cover charge. After riding 200 miles one way for Florida Tech Day and meeting everyone there, I felt it was well worth the effort and I love being a part of this community. Everyone was great and I can't wait for the next one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Grettings Jim Ex-4860 chiming in. You'll here the old "I want a magazine" and I am of that sentiment too. You replied to someone previously that only two issues were skipped. Well, that's half a year. Me, I wanted gatherings, rides, Tech Days or the like be sponsored by the VMOA. What does that mean? Sure some kind of organization such as finding a place, setting the time, planning the ride(s), provide a doorprize or two? Obviously things that are not cash intensive as we know cash is a dirty four letter word there.
CaptainKyle's Tech Day was a success because these exact provisions being met. Even with the rain! You know what Jim, people were ASKING to donate to to subsidize the event. People don't mind spending a few bucks for a "good" event. My question is, if the VMOA does little or nothing, how is that membership building? How does that inspire persons to join? I went to my local VMOA sponsored BBQ at Pine Island Florida and was blown away by the quality of bikes. In the end my opinion is just me and may not represent anyone else. What about a "Drag" day at the track? It don't take a rocket scientist to get people together. Lastly, event coverage because everybody likes to see themselves or their bikes in print!
Hope there is something useful in my rant.
PATMAX

No worries on the "rant"! This is good feedback that provides a lot more help than some would think. If you haven't been a member in a while you have missed out on quite a bit. Just in the next issue of Vboost there are at least 3 events listed (Thunder in the Valley, Ontario Drag Day, and an event in Indiana) and those are just the ones that popped into my head without looking at the proof for the magazine. The VMOA is doing prizes at Thunder this year for mulitple "contests". Without stealing the Thunder (yeah cheesy pun intended) from the folks on the organizing committee they have a dyno shootout scheduled and are working on some "games" for time at the hotel. This is just step one at a big event. I will communicate your suggestions to our Regional Directors and Chapter Leaders as I believe you are looking more at the local level which is great! As for event coverage I can tell you that this is one of my biggest pet peeves with the club right now. I know that we are having lots of events yet I see no articles from the attendees for publication in Vboost. I am going to really be stressing this to the membership and the Board of Directors.

Thanks again!! I really do appreciate this!!!

Jim, thanks for being so involved at a difficult time in your life.
clapping.gif

I'd like to be able to see members vote on major issues.
I'm sure a site could be used with a thread regarding voting. That's my big concern.
I'd like to see a lot of the old members, and the wealth of knowledge they have, come back. The V-boost on line is OK with me, because money to print isn't always available. Printed issues are an issue for others, I know.
Steve-o

Wow Steve I wish you could read my article in this edition!!! May have to send it to you. I brought this exact topic up, actually here is the relevant excerpt from my article:

All, this past January we had the annual VMOA elections for all officer positions with the club. This year there were no contested positions as no one stepped forward to challenge for any of them. I know that there are those who are wondering about the process the VMOA currently uses, as outlined in our Bylaws, to run our elections and the transparency therein. When the Bylaws were written there didn?t exist a proper way to open up voting etc. to the membership at large so a decision was made to use the Regional Directors as delegates to represent the wishes of the members from their Region. This has worked well in the past, but has begun to cause some discord amongst some who have questions about the workings and why the membership is not allowed to vote. This is something I will be discussing with the Board of Directors and Officers as I believe we need to enter the 21st century and make better use of our website and social media. Look for us to make some changes to the Bylaws this year that will change the following:
1. Allowing the membership at large a vote on elections and issues that affect the entire membership, such as a dues increase, if possible.
2. Changing the term of office for elected officers to 2 years
3. Staggering the terms of office such that the President, VP, and Board will not all come up for election at once (i.e. the President and VP will be elected opposite of each other). This way we avoid a complete changeover of the Board in a single year.
4. Better announcement of the election and major issues that will require member voting. We will be using the Vboost magazine, website forums, and other social media to ensure we reach as many members as possible.
My sincerest hope is that more members will get active and run for offices as we make it so you the member has an even larger voice in how we do our business.

As you can see I am going to be driving an intiative to examine and revise the VMOA Bylaws to accomplish just this. It was something I wanted to do last year but I had some bigger issues to take on. Thanks for the feedback my friend!!!!

I'm glad you posted this thread. I've been asking myself when would be a good time to join. A bit of background about me so you understand where I'm coming. Previously, I've joined POCA just because I loved Pantera's but I've never owned one. Membership brought me a lot of useful benefits including access to purchase a pantera at a more reasonable price from members, access to people that owned them for questions and such, and coverage of all their events. I'm married now and that dream will have to be shelved a bit longer. I joined this forum prior to purchasing a VMax and I was going to join VMOA prior as well. The thing that stopped me was that it didn't seem to offer anything. The website was brutally slow or down, there appeared to be no activity in the forums. I couldn't find information on planned events near me and very few events at all. I think there was 1 when I checked last year and it was pretty far away.

If the VMOA was able to foster the community in the manner that PATMAX suggested up above, I'm positive membership would grow. Hearing that you have a magazine coming out in May is enough for me to sign up this month but over the long haul I'd like to see more local activity even if participation requires a cover charge. After riding 200 miles one way for Florida Tech Day and meeting everyone there, I felt it was well worth the effort and I love being a part of this community. Everyone was great and I can't wait for the next one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your comments! Believe it or not there are a ton of members in Florida and at least two of the VMOA's biggest events there are well. Biketoberfest and Bike Week are two of the best attended gatherings we have. Being in Jacksonville also puts you in a good position to go to our meet at the Tail of the Dragon and you might even be able to hook up with some guys who come up to Thunder in the Valley each year. Let me know if you are interested and I will put you in contact with the guys from Fla that make the trip each year! As I told Patmax I will be contacting the Regional Director for Florida with your ideas and see what we can do to have more events in your area.

Our website was a contentious issue until late last summer when we had a complete overhaul done and we switched internet providers. Actually we just switched again because the one we initially went to was also very slow. I think that the combination of a slow site and it being outdated really did a lot of damage to us, but we have made changes and have a much better site with a very much improved user interface that has some cool functions. Once you sign up make sure you contact Mike Moore, our webmaster, to get access!!!

I don't live in the US any more, and I'm not particularly bothered with the mag. I do still own a Max though, and as such would like to remain in the association. However I can't justify the cost, so I wondered if you'd consider having 'honorary members' from other countries, and wave the fees to such members? Like I said, no need to post the magazine (especially with the cost to other countries) although I would consider submitting articles for it.

Let me see what I can do. Maybe a greatly discounted membership that gives website access and store access:confused2: Thinking that maybe $5-10 per year to go towards supporting the website hosting etc. Will discuss with the Board and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the response! The VBoost has only been done in a digital format twice (Winter 2010 and Winter 2011) with the first time as a test to gauge response and the second due to a lack of content which made printing and mailing it impractical from a cost standpoint. We are currently going into print with the Spring 2012 edition which will be mailed out to members in May. Hope to see you at the Spring Ice Breaker in Hamburg!!!

Yes sir I will be there! As long as my restoration on the max is complete lol I've been waiting tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I bought an 05 front for the 85 and usps is obviously sending it VIA horse back from flordia.. still not here grrrr.. sorry for my miss understanding I just remember when I first bought my max in february I saw something about digital copy.. if its one out of 4 copies because there was much info I don't see what's the big deal but im young and very computer friendly someone like my dad would rather have a magazine lol

HI Jim would like to see the club go back to its roots. Meaning the good old days that is what i miss about the club. When certain members left it seems the club to a drastic change for the worse ,dont know why because the people make the club what it is and i know alot of folks have tried. So i think some is related to the economy .Also i would like a 5,10 or lifetime membership offered. Sirius does it! I think some biker games would be fun and make some interesting v-boost articles lol.I know all the biker games Pg and R version,lol. Finally for any club or business to succeed today you have to have the peoples interest. Just my 2 cents worth thanks JIM vmoa #3933

Let me see what I can do. Maybe a greatly discounted membership that gives website access and store access:confused2: Thinking that maybe $5-10 per year to go towards supporting the website hosting etc. Will discuss with the Board and see what they have to say.

That would be great Jim. It would also allow for more international members to join (and contribute) and if the mag was to find its way online as a matter of course it may also become more attractive to a lot of fans abroad, even France and Japan who have a great Vmax following.

Jim,

I like what you're doing with Icebreaker in that you're moving the venue around and keeping it fresh. I'd like to see money going into rides/events like this. However, if the money goes into supporting the same rides year after year then folks will get bored and go elsewhere.

Blaine

I must say to all that Mr Moore has been more proactive and vocal about Club issues of membership growth, retention and return than past administration. My Florida Chapter leader has polled and contacted me directly in the past for input which I believe encourages Club loyalty. I personally see the changes occurring which is good. The magazine issue will not die so why not have it available to any who want for the additional cost. My thought was Steve or whomever can make it downloadable to members directly or to Kinko's or whatever printshop they desire. It could be blown up or down, black and white, glossy or dull, the options endless. That way the weight (read "cost") is not burdened by the Club. The shipping and related labor of getting it out is conserved. I see myself returning. One theme I do hear repeatedly Jim is membership applications MUST be processed more speedily and consistently. I understand the volunteer nature of the workers in administrative positions but when you think of it, the membership is THE one contact the Club has directly with it's constituency. It one of the few tangible benefits being the welcome letter, the patch, the Club card, first magazine etc. It's too important to delay a month or more in "processing" or what have you. One does not need an opinion poll or protracted discussion to implement that does it? This is equally valued by renewers as well as newbies I'm sure.
One last point on content submission. I personally don't own a computer and do everything on a phone yet I have compiled a "How To" for VMF. Amongst us are many publishing savvy fellows like Ninjaneer and SpecOps. Maybe some would be more apt to create and submit content if it were to go through such like ones for finetuning so to speak. A person to communicate with and "how to" posted somewhere to allay fears or apprehension to contribute. I know Wizard is great and probably already doing this to some extent , yes?
Lastly, old content can be new content to someone who never seen past info or forgot it. Some old articles could be updated, freshened or even corrected to reflect new information. Though some may say it, I know different. Your postion is NOT a thankless job, I can sense your dedication to the position and sincerely hope it can be a positive distraction and channel for you personally at this time in your life. Thank you from a non-member!
PATMAX

Some views from a non-member.

To persuade me to join I would want to be able to understand what the tangible benefits are.
I was a member of the UK V Max Club many moons ago - the 'benefits' were a jacket patch, a sticker that informed others that I was a member, a quarterly magazine and a discount from some vendors.
There was no issue with the patch, the sticker? Hmmm. The magazine content was, at best, average (but that is down to the members contributions not the club) and I never was able to save much from the vendors.
As a result, with little or no perceived benefit I let my membership lapse.

So how do you sell the VMOA?

First off, what is its mission? Do o existing and potential members understand what it is trying to achieve? Does it have a mission statement?

To use a marketing term, does the VMOA 'sell the sizzle' - your promotions should sell the sound and smell of the sausages cooking, not the fact that you are talking about them.

To take a mercenary approach, what's in it for me?
This is where you have to try to be all things to all men (and women).
Social?
Technical?
Entertainment?
Support?
Parts?
Affiliations with other groups?
Discounts? etc.

Do you have like minded folk working within these groups who have the passion to develop that section and move with the times and needs of members?

Those of us who reside outside of the US are unlikely to be able to benefit from most of the features that VMOA membership can (or could) offer.
That said technical and support does cross borders and oceans so perhaps an associate membership that allows access to the site and electronic access to the mag might be considered?

Well done for having the balls to put your head above the parapet to receive the flack (and other smelly, less solid matter :puke:)

I hope all of the posts above will help you develop a stronger organisation. :clapping:

That would be great Jim. It would also allow for more international members to join (and contribute) and if the mag was to find its way online as a matter of course it may also become more attractive to a lot of fans abroad, even France and Japan who have a great Vmax following.

Well, over the past two years I have preached that the VMOA would become more transparent in how the Board of Directors conducts its business. So in the spirit of that here is what I have suggested to them and we are discussing it.

What I suggest is a 3 tier membership system:

1) Associate member: Cost $10 per year and gives website and store access

2) Basic member: Cost $20 per year, gives the above access plus access to a digital copy of the Vboost magazine. This would also be the primary option for overseas members as the cost of mailing the printed magazine is enormous hence that is why they pay a higher fee as it sits.

3) Premium member: Cost $40 per year, gives all of the above plus they will receive a printed edition of the Vboost magazine.

As this is really in the formative stages please feel free to add your feedback! The conversation here has been great and thanks guys for keeping it civil!!!

I must say to all that Mr Moore has been more proactive and vocal about Club issues of membership growth, retention and return than past administration. My Florida Chapter leader has polled and contacted me directly in the past for input which I believe encourages Club loyalty. I personally see the changes occurring which is good. The magazine issue will not die so why not have it available to any who want for the additional cost. My thought was Steve or whomever can make it downloadable to members directly or to Kinko's or whatever printshop they desire. It could be blown up or down, black and white, glossy or dull, the options endless. That way the weight (read "cost") is not burdened by the Club. The shipping and related labor of getting it out is conserved. I see myself returning. One theme I do hear repeatedly Jim is membership applications MUST be processed more speedily and consistently. I understand the volunteer nature of the workers in administrative positions but when you think of it, the membership is THE one contact the Club has directly with it's constituency. It one of the few tangible benefits being the welcome letter, the patch, the Club card, first magazine etc. It's too important to delay a month or more in "processing" or what have you. One does not need an opinion poll or protracted discussion to implement that does it? This is equally valued by renewers as well as newbies I'm sure.
One last point on content submission. I personally don't own a computer and do everything on a phone yet I have compiled a "How To" for VMF. Amongst us are many publishing savvy fellows like Ninjaneer and SpecOps. Maybe some would be more apt to create and submit content if it were to go through such like ones for finetuning so to speak. A person to communicate with and "how to" posted somewhere to allay fears or apprehension to contribute. I know Wizard is great and probably already doing this to some extent , yes?
Lastly, old content can be new content to someone who never seen past info or forgot it. Some old articles could be updated, freshened or even corrected to reflect new information. Though some may say it, I know different. Your postion is NOT a thankless job, I can sense your dedication to the position and sincerely hope it can be a positive distraction and channel for you personally at this time in your life. Thank you from a non-member!
PATMAX

Again thanks for the comments! You are very correct in that we need to speed up the membership process! This is a HUGE issue right now and we are trying to find ways to make it more efficient. Our current process is very time consuming for some reason and we need to fix it pronto. Steve does do some minor "wordsmithing" of articles to ensure proper grammar etc. The issue is that some members in the past have gotten very upset that Steve made a change and they didn't like it. Unfortunately editing is a double edged sword. It is understood that not everyone is an author, but what they can do is submit to Steve and ask that he make any changes he sees a need to and send it back to them for approval prior to publishing. Maybe I need to make sure we communicate that better to our membership!

I take a lot of personal pride in what I am doing for the VMOA and do receive a lot of compliments and thank yous from members and non-members alike. Sometimes it gets tough when you struggle to get something done yet feel like you are running in quicksand, but one has to keep going eh. My passion for the club and for the Vmax community at large drives me to succeed, even when I know that some decisions I make are tougher than others. The Vmax community deserves the very best that the VMOA and I have to offer and it is my job to make improvements happen. Thankfully I have some really good folks, like Mike Moore and Trevor, along to help me out! Without the help of many this would be an impossible task!!!

Jim,

I like what you're doing with Icebreaker in that you're moving the venue around and keeping it fresh. I'd like to see money going into rides/events like this. However, if the money goes into supporting the same rides year after year then folks will get bored and go elsewhere.

Blaine

Thanks Blaine! This will be the 7th year for the Ice Breaker and our 3rd venue. I too like the idea of moving it around every couple of years to keep the ride fresh. This year may well be the biggest yet as I believe we will get a bunch of guys out of Western NY and maybe PA to attend. Over the past 3 years the VMOA hasn't been sponsoring events, but that is something that the Board of Directors is working on rectifying. We believe that supplying prizes and hosting a meal are tangible benefits that our members can enjoy.

Back