Weird caps on plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
So as I'm investigating and fixing things on the '86 I found a little cap screwed onto one of the spark plugs. I'm out and haven't checked others yet, but let's assume they're on all the plugs.

What the heck are they? It made it basically impossible to push the plug wires onto the plugs. I'll pull the rest when I get home, but it just seemed weird.

So as I'm investigating and fixing things on the '86 I found a little cap screwed onto one of the spark plugs. I'm out and haven't checked others yet, but let's assume they're on all the plugs.

What the heck are they? It made it basically impossible to push the plug wires onto the plugs. I'll pull the rest when I get home, but it just seemed weird.
I am assuming it had the little crowns still screwed on the plugs which should not be there . Just take it off where all you see is the threads.

I am assuming it had the little crowns still screwed on the plugs which should not be there . Just take it off where all you see is the threads.

I'm hoping this is it. I just can't figure out why they'd be there when the bike was just sitting in a barn.

If you have stock OEM plug caps they do not require the little screw on caps. This is stock OEM ...............

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 37
Someone might have changed the plugs and
1. Didn't remove the screw caps
2. Used plugs on which the cap is permanently affixed to the plug in which case you'll need different plugs.

There are a plethora of plugs that are correct EXCEPT for that panne you affixed cap.

Unscrewed two little caps, replaced the plug wires, and it fired right up. Very strange. I think the front two might have those resistor caps on them. Whatever. I really don't care as long as it runs...

Oh, and Eric, they look like bullet connector male ends.

The nology wires require the caps (which are standard on automotive plugs).

Yep, sounds like someone made a fix where they replaced a couple of plug caps/wires which use the screw-on spark plug nipples, no big deal, really, but I'd want all 4 the same, but they don't need to be. You might remove the other plug caps from their wires and check on the condition of the wire, you may need to trim-back the wire a half-inch if you find green corrosion in the wire end.

BOLO other non-stock "fixes" which could drive you to distraction, and could increase your frustration levels as you attempt to troubleshoot things.

Back