What advice have you received that you never forget?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what can be done today.

If it's got tits or tires you're gonna have trouble with it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When i was 16 years old i needed tires to get tit's.

My wife just said okay Donald Trump. She can be funny.

The best advice I ever got was from my father when I 17 years old and told him I was joining the Navy, he was a 12 year Marine Corps veteran (He got out as a gunnery sergeant and was a DI at Paris Island, SC), and when I told him I was going into the military.
I thought he would be disappointed that I wasn't going into the Marine Corp, but I was wrong.
He said:
"Don't do what I did and use your body to make your way in life, Bodies always fail eventually.
Use your mind because unlike your body the older you get the more useful it becomes as long as you keep feeding in knowledge"

Be kind to all creatures great and small.

Criticizim is always an opportunity for self improvement.

And my absolute favorite that has stuck with me since early elementary that my Grandpa would say when something got tough, "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!"

My father told me once that even a dead fish can float down stream! If you want something good, you have to provide the action to acquire it. Just meandering around waiting to run into something is a plan destined to fail.

when your old,it´s best to look back and regret for what you did than regret for what you didn´t...
you only live once.

Instagram-Uncle-Mickey-wisdom-1c5c8f.png

My 97 year old grandmother told me when I was I child that ``It`s only life if you live it``
A friend of mine once told me ``If you don`t go in you will never find out``

A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

A Grandfather like figure in my life told me once "If it feels good do it". I kind of laughed when he said that and he then said in a more serious tone " You may only get one chance at doing something, if it feels good do it" I didn't laugh that time but I have thought about that little bit of advice a lot since then.
Another piece of advice I picked up from an favorite author of mine, Samuel Clements, where he wrote: "Always do good, this will gratify some and astonish the rest". This really resonated for me, for whatever reason. I'm guessing my parents short 12 year run in my life may have taught me more lessons than I knew (or remember) but my foster families were all great to me and for me in many ways as well and still do
Good Post Kronx.

Thanks for sharing that Redbone. In regards to foster families, it reminds me of something I read -- "You are who you are, because someone in your life loved you."

The best advice I ever got was from my father when I 17 years old and told him I was joining the Navy, he was a 12 year Marine Corps veteran (He got out as a gunnery sergeant and was a DI at Paris Island, SC), and when I told him I was going into the military.
I thought he would be disappointed that I wasn't going into the Marine Corp, but I was wrong.
He said:
"Don't do what I did and use your body to make your way in life, Bodies always fail eventually.
Use your mind because unlike your body the older you get the more useful it becomes as long as you keep feeding in knowledge"

I think that's good advice. One of the reasons I mentioned in my original post about what the mind chooses to keep and what it chooses to forget is due to my situation being the exception to your father's rule. I'm afraid my mind is going to fail before my body.

So I'm creating journals for each of my kids. Sharing with them my thoughts, philosophies, perspectives on life's challenges. So they they'll have it far after I'm gone. I dunno. Perhaps it might even get passed down.

So in the same vein as this thread. I make a confession, I'm a bit of Rocky fan. Boxing off and on most of my life I'm always interested in everything regarding the sweet science. Then of course the action movie craze of the classic 80s and 90s sort of lost the message of the original Rocky movie which many forget actually won the Oscar for best picture.

But what I loved about Rocky was this "get back up" attitude he had. He may have lost that fight in the original movie, but he proved he was worthy of being in the ring. And so when the final movie called Rocky Balboa came out -- it went back to the roots of what made the original Rocky so great. And in Rocky Balboa he gives a speech to his son which I think is such a great speech. It has so many truths to it.

For me the toughest lesson I've had to teach my kids is that to truly become a winner you have to learn how to cope with loss. How to get back up and keep moving forward. Don't point fingers at others. Look in the mirror and try to do better. Rocky says it so much better than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk82j1jQw_8

So in the same vein as this thread. I make a confession, I'm a bit of Rocky fan. Boxing off and on most of my life I'm always interested in everything regarding the sweet science. Then of course the action movie craze of the classic 80s and 90s sort of lost the message of the original Rocky movie which many forget actually won the Oscar for best picture.

But what I loved about Rocky was this "get back up" attitude he had. He may have lost that fight in the original movie, but he proved he was worthy of being in the ring. And so when the final movie called Rocky Balboa came out -- it went back to the roots of what made the original Rocky so great. And in Rocky Balboa he gives a speech to his son which I think is such a great speech. It has so many truths to it.

For me the toughest lesson I've had to teach my kids is that to truly become a winner you have to learn how to cope with loss. How to get back up and keep moving forward. Don't point fingers at others. Look in the mirror and try to do better. Rocky says it so much better than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk82j1jQw_8

Getting back up is important, the ability to adapt and change direction when you must. My mentor told me that the road to success is paved with failure.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. - Lao Tzu and Dr. Eldon Tyrell (Blade Runner)

It is better to burn out than fade away. - The Kurgan (Highlander)

After a time you may find having is not so pleasing a thing after all - as wanting. - Mr. Spock (Amok Time)

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play. - James T. Kirk (Shore Leave)

never believe %100 on what some one is telling you,...rely on the "Observable" Evidence.

and....... Some people are so stupid, they don't know how stupid they are.

Not really advice but here are a couple of quotes:

There are 3 kinds of people in life, those that can count, and those that can't.

I would be "ALL Right" if it wasn't for my left side.

Back