What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VBoost too? I like the color combo. I've always liked cobalt or dark blue. The matte black goes well w/it. Does it sport your Carrozzerias? I think people would like the specs, in general.

That Venture, how does the seat height compare to a stock Max? And the bars, how much room is there for different bars? Would stock V-Max bars fit without things smacking into other pieces? (Grip positioning is critical for me due to my carpel tunnel)

The venture bar is very unique and not sure what options there are for them. They do have a number of adjustments a guy can do with them though. They can rotate in or out as well as up or down so i bet you could get a position you like. I do believe the seat height is taller or around the same height as the stock vmax (I'm so used to a lowered one lol).

This build:
1987 Yamaha Venture 1300

Engine:
Stock Pistons/Rods/Crank
Vmax Heads/Cams
Vmax Trans w/Royal Star 5th gear (overdrive)
ARP Studs, Heavy Duty Oiling, Cometic Head gaskets
Heavy Duty Clutch
Solid Motor Mounts
Silicon hoses modified to fit
Spin On oil filter conversion
Blasted and Painted

Carb/Intake/Exhuast:
Vmax Carbs (though 1300 venture would have worked too)
Vmax Vboost and Intake Setup
Muscle Jet Kit
Marks Primary Pipes, Yoshimura Tri-Oval Mufflers, Eliminate Crossover (for clearance)

Chassis/Brakes
FZR1000 Inverted Front end w/custom riser adapters
Racetech Springs/Goldvalve kit, New seals, syntetic fluid
Carrozzeria Wheels (120 front/180 rear)
Notched and Braced Swingarm
Rebuilt Stock Rear Shock (air ride - we don't have the self leveling kit on this bike)
Metzler Tires
320mm Front Rotors, Sumitomo 6 piston calipers, braided lines
Eliminate linked braking and anit-dive parts
Rear 320mm w/4 piston caliper (stock rear setup)

Cosmetics:
Custom Seat and all new coverings everywhere
Powdercoating all metal parts black
Paint custom blue main fairings and black all other parts

Electrical:
Custom Morleys Gauge Set, GPS Speedo/Tach, 4 in One Gauge (oil/temp/voltage/fuel)
Vboost (Controlled by CDI box)
Ignitech Unit
COP (Coil Over Plug) kit
2014 FJR Hand Controls
Earth X Lithium Ion Battery
90/130 Watt Headlight w/Ceramic plug

Probably some other stuff I have forgotten.

Changed my oil with my son, and then drove 100 plus miles to western MA to pick up a 2xl yamaha jacket that didn't fit. Was a nice ride though lol

Put new cover on bike.. Nelson-Rigg Defender 500 XL.. fits perfect, now I won't have to keep moving it from back shed to driveway this summer. It bits into my time trying to get ready for the drive to work in the mornings, I don't care for the wet grass, and hoping it doesn't fall over in the yard when I am opening the gate..Cover is silver, and water proof- breathing holes on both sides. Black heats up way too much...

Put new cover on bike.. Nelson-Rigg Defender 500 XL.. fits perfect, now I won't have to keep moving it from back shed to driveway this summer. It bits into my time trying to get ready for the drive to work in the mornings, I don't care for the wet grass, and hoping it doesn't fall over in the yard when I am opening the gate..Cover is silver, and water proof- breathing holes on both sides. Black heats up way too much...

In your opinion, I have a 3" longer swingarm would this size still work? Also does it pack down "small enough" to take on a trip? I don't need it for normal storage just for longer trips.

Got a stock headlight mounted (thanks again Pete!), ordered some front turn signals and made the decision to send my carbs to Danny.

Sometimes its kinda like Christmas when you get a package in from Sean.

Sean sent the GPS speedo that i had ordered. I had also requested a metal cup, and to have everything powder coated satin black to match pieces on the 07 Vmax. I'm one of those people that like things that look almost stock, and it takes a true Vmax enthusiast to tell the difference.

Workmanship of the gauge cup is AMAZING!!!

I have posi-locks on order.....and hope to have it in by this weekend.

Attachments

• 20150420_174906[1].jpg
    20150420_174906[1].jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20150420_174917[1].jpg
    20150420_174917[1].jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20150420_175438[1].jpg
    20150420_175438[1].jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 23
Sometimes its kinda like Christmas when you get a package in from Sean.

Sean sent the GPS speedo that i had ordered. I had also requested a metal cup, and to have everything powder coated satin black to match pieces on the 07 Vmax. I'm one of those people that like things that look almost stock, and it takes a true Vmax enthusiast to tell the difference.

Workmanship of the gauge cup is AMAZING!!!

I have posi-locks on order.....and hope to have it in by this weekend.

I'm with you on the "almost stock" philosophy. That's why I also stuck with analog gauges, and lollipop signals, as well as other parts. It's an '80's thing, I reckon.
Beautiful gauge assembly! Mr.Sean will probably sell a ton of these, especially when folks see them in person.
I also checked out your album. Great looking ride!
So what will be taking the place of the OEM tach?
Cheers!

I'm with you on the "almost stock" philosophy. That's why I also stuck with analog gauges, and lollipop signals, as well as other parts. It's an '80's thing, I reckon.
Beautiful gauge assembly! Mr.Sean will probably sell a ton of these, especially when folks see them in person.
I also checked out your album. Great looking ride!
So what will be taking the place of the OEM tach?
Cheers!

Thank you.

Ive thought about putting in an oil pressure gauge. I'm like you....I still have the stock lollipops, although i have LED bulbs in them. They are brighter, and come on quicker, plus I like the hyper flashing....it will get someones attention. To me....if I can get someone's attention....its safer.

Got to try out the bike with the new solid motor mounts and was very impressed, straight line is more stable and going thru s curves on the highway here where I live and going over the bridge transitions was like night and day compared to last year, very little frame flexing nice ! anyone thinking of trying solid motor mounts I would say do it, only drawback is more vibs in the handle bars going to try filling bars with shot see how that works.

I do sell a vibranator product. Not terribly cheap but customers have said they like it.

New handlebars came in today. I look like they will be PERFECT!
11138119_10205493657316180_796345266748691470_n.jpg

Got the bike apart to mount them... think the previous asshat... I mean owner JB Welded the screws to the left hand switch in. Wonder if I might have an easier time ordering a new switch housing. That or I can unplug the housing from the bike and take it up to Starting Line. Anyways... Woona is now nekkid
11150401_10205493611155026_6276006963290438562_n.jpg

And I go to mount the new bars... And something is wrong...
11150486_10205493683196827_7995370886533377019_n.jpg

If you look closely, you can see how the clamping area is just a friggin hair too narrow. FUCK! I can fix this. That is what Dremmel was made for. Take a little off the sides of the top clamp, and it all should fit back together nicely. Thank Luna that there is enough metal to safely do that.

Oh man, I dunno about that grinding! That thinner point w/the grinds is a built-in weak point now, you don't want to land from a wheelie and have the bars collapse/fold on you! I think you should send those back and look for another set. It's gonna be cheaper than paying a machinist to widen the clamping area to clear the built-up weld. Look in the Parts Unlimited catalog.

Oh man, I dunno about that grinding! That thinner point w/the grinds is a built-in weak point now, you don't want to land from a wheelie and have the bars collapse/fold on you! I think you should send those back and look for another set. It's gonna be cheaper than paying a machinist to widen the clamping area to clear the built-up weld. Look in the Parts Unlimited catalog.

I have looked in EVERY FUCKING CATALOG I have been able to find, and these ones from RCI are the ONLY ones to come in the dimensions I am looking for. And it is not like I am grinding down to a thickness of 1/16 an inch? there is a good deal amount of metal on the sides of the risers. Enough that the small portion removed for clearence would be well within the margin of safety

Sorry... just gets irritating when it seems that EVERY time I try to do something, something comes up to roadblock it. At least, in this case, it is not some asshat DELIBERATELY doin that, like what happens more often than not around my town.

Put on my new (to me) rear caliper and bled it. Seemed to work pretty well. I might actually get to ride the thing tomorrow. I gotta see if I can get a little harder lever on the front, though. It just feels like there's a lot of travel in the lever.

Myself .... if I convinced myself that I wasn't going to send the bars back..... would take the bars to a welding shop, have them cut in two, and then welded back together using a spacer to get the proper width, AND using a piece of solid roundstock for an internal splice.
I made a set of bars a few years ago, using a solid piece of 7/8" stock for the clamping area, and this reduced handlebar vibration considerably.
Just my opinion. Cheers!

Back