What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed my Morley jet kit, changed oil, plugs. Tried sync my bike learned I don't care for the Pro Motion gauge- yes that blue shit is a joke. Sean I wish withy the kit it had the breather lines hooked up already. My stock tube being 25 years old wasn't able to be used again. I replaced all the screws with Allen heads, found out one of the bowls wasn't tight- nice fuel leak all over in my shed. Think I made about 20 trips to autozone. Gonna get a buddy that has the Morgan to double check my work. Next is replacing my fork seals and putting stock head light, vs. my dual lights. Hoping to do the valves this year, but we shall see if I have time and $$$$.

Took my wife for her first ride on my 09' surprising she liked it . Did about 100 miles with one gas stop and one lunch then let her feel some torque up to 90 mph in a kinda fast way I felt the claws starting to dig in my sides so I slowed down . This might put a damper on getting a newer gen 1 next year or maybe not ...

Just got back from my first test ride after fixing the fire damage from my last ride, where it caught fire while riding. Hence the fire extinguisher LOL. I only went 7 miles but stopped 1/2 way for a good inspection, and kept looking down there a lot. In flight fire will make you a little paranoid first couple of test rides.
20150503_181327.jpg

Went for a ride yesterday after finding that due to the moved forward position of the grips, the Malibu windshield no longer fits. The ride only served to reinforce why I want that windshield mounted! Damn bugs hurt when they slap you in the face at 65mph.

Had a good Thai dinner while I was out, so the abuse I suffered from hard punching insects was worth it.

Still want the windshield mounted. Gonna require a new headlight assembly, and possibly some creativity with mounting brackets. Maybe a set of four clip-on bars can be used along with some fabrication... gonna have to work with Sean about this. Will be shooting him an e-mail to see what he has on hand, and his thoughts on how I can do this.

Until then, I do have a couple spare windshields hanging around I might be able to use. May not look pretty, but if it works at protecting me from the flying bug menace and the wind, I'll do it.

And the spare windshields seem to be a bust...

FUCK!!!!!
twilightangry2.png

Not sold on the Vmax and a windshield. I had one on my bike when I bought it. It has spend more time off the bike than on. Air still hit the top of the helmet and lots of neck movement. Kinda like when you get behind a big truck.. Plus unless it's a long road trip, I enjoy the breeze- during the warm summer months. Then again, I enjoy wearing my half-helmet, minus the rain.. then I grab other helmet out of my tank bag...

The Malibu shield was perfect size for me. Height placed it so my eyes were looking just over the edge, or looking through at a light tuck. Width was sufficient that my body was covered good from direct wind from the front, but enough went around the sides, and the handguard sections that I got some breeze to keep me comfy. And there is almost no turbulance around my head with that shield. I find that my helmetted head gets knocked around more, it seems, when I have no windshield on the bike.

Took mine for a quick blast after raking the lawn. Seems so much stiffer and connected with the damper on it. Took it on a sweeper where it always gave me that weird weave effect at 140kph and it felt so solid i cranked the throttle to 170kph to see what would happen... nothing... seemed slow.. now ive never ridden another bike but my vmax but it feels sooooo stable now... best $$$ ive ever spent... i just fear that now i gonna get soooo many fines lol...

Adjusted my throttle cable to have less slack before it opens the butterflies. We'll see how that feels if I get to ride tomorrow.

Bought fork oil, still awaiting the dust seals to come in... Guess I should finish my carbs before I go into my forks...but I need for the new V-stacks that go into the air box to come in also... I have ordered a lot of stuff in the last two years for replacing,,, age isn't the friend everything is getting old(25 years old) for what I know.... I have only had the bike for 8 years...

Sanded down and primed the front fender plasic last night. Just painted it this morning with automotive spray paint. Hopefully it turns out well. First time messing with paint.

Well been experimenting with the bike again....imagine that. If yall remember, I had recently changed the COPS with resistors......to a set of COPS without. I also changed the dwell setting inside the Ignitech....to auto. So.....the Ignitech, will increase....or decrease the dwell....to see how best it fires.....within certain parameters. Here is what is said in the instructions.

- automatic dwell time determination. Unit determines optimal dwell time by
measure dynamic current in channel 1. With that choice the spark-coil has to
be connected to channel 1.

So.....I was curious to see if I could increase the spark plug gap. I gapped the plugs at .030. So, last friday with Seans kit, I filled up.....and went for a spin. Its normal road, that leads to a 4 lane highway, that is 70 mph, so I kept it between 70-75, turned around, kicked in Vboost....etc....so a normal day on a Vmax. 38.18 MPG. So last night, pulled the plugs and gapped them all to .035. Filled up, and did the same route. 39.4 mpg. To me...I wasnt looking for an increase.....because 1 mpg isnt that much, and can be attributed to how fast you open the throttle. I was mainly looking to see if there would be a loss. I'm very old school, the bigger the spark plug gap, the more fuel and the more HP you have.

Next experiment....040, and will see what happens.

Rode 42 miles behind my dad in his BMW 650 through the winding road in great Falls, VA.

Put in one gallon of gas.... WINNING

Well been experimenting with the bike again....imagine that. If yall remember, I had recently changed the COPS with resistors......to a set of COPS without. I also changed the dwell setting inside the Ignitech....to auto. So.....the Ignitech, will increase....or decrease the dwell....to see how best it fires.....within certain parameters. Here is what is said in the instructions.

- automatic dwell time determination. Unit determines optimal dwell time by
measure dynamic current in channel 1. With that choice the spark-coil has to
be connected to channel 1.

So.....I was curious to see if I could increase the spark plug gap. I gapped the plugs at .030. So, last friday with Seans kit, I filled up.....and went for a spin. Its normal road, that leads to a 4 lane highway, that is 70 mph, so I kept it between 70-75, turned around, kicked in Vboost....etc....so a normal day on a Vmax. 38.18 MPG. So last night, pulled the plugs and gapped them all to .035. Filled up, and did the same route. 39.4 mpg. To me...I wasnt looking for an increase.....because 1 mpg isnt that much, and can be attributed to how fast you open the throttle. I was mainly looking to see if there would be a loss. I'm very old school, the bigger the spark plug gap, the more fuel and the more HP you have.

Next experiment....040, and will see what happens.
Which plugs are you running? When I did my plugs I went from the Iridums back to just the NGKs...

Latest posts

Back