What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed Mike, Miles has very thoughtfully and thoroughly transformed his Vmax into the veritable epitome of what a actual "Touring Vmax" should look like. After each closer inspection of Frankenmax will reveal another new and clever aspect to the form, with a quick demonstration by Miles made me take a look again to try to grasp the thought and craftsmanship that went into the making of this one of a kind motorcycle.
I can only begin to envision how a Vmax with Miles at the creative wheel would turn out! Function over form that works beautifully!
Nice work on the touring foot peg Miles!
I have to concentrate on that tight blue revealing sweater, and the matching eyes, or I'm gonna get all choked up and begin to cry.
Thanks, Brian:punk:

p.s.- I'll have to send you a pic of my latest mod - the oil filler cap with lanyard attached.:biglaugh:

Indeed Mike, Miles has very thoughtfully and thoroughly transformed his Vmax into the veritable epitome of what a actual "Touring Vmax" should look like. After each closer inspection of Frankenmax will reveal another new and clever aspect to the form, with a quick demonstration by Miles made me take a look again to try to grasp the thought and craftsmanship that went into the making of this one of a kind motorcycle.
I can only begin to envision how a Vmax with Miles at the creative wheel would turn out! Function over form that works beautifully!
Nice work on the touring foot peg Miles!
I have to concentrate on that tight blue revealing sweater, and the matching eyes, or I'm gonna get all choked up and begin to cry.
Thanks, Brian:punk:

p.s.- I'll have to send you a pic of my latest mod - the oil filler cap with lanyard attached.:biglaugh:
I see no need for a lanyard at all Miles, without the lanyard it maintained it's resting place over bumpy roads and a couple high speed runs, on a test track mind you! :whistlin:

Swapped out the handlebar, grips, levers and mirrors.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458428330.496586.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1458428349.372457.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled the starter clutch for a redo. It looks like now is a good time for a new 4 brush starter too. Might as well drain and flush the coolant, change the oil and filter, and maybe the Koso Speedo gets installed while waiting on the weather. I stuck the bore scope in through the neutral safety switch hole to verify the new o-ring installed 4 years ago. That Kawi O-ring is in there tight. TKS Sean. Tires
always seem to have a half season left of thread. Which means July. So be it.

Put in my new friction disks and cleaned up my steels. Later tonight ill get the cover and rearset bolted back on and probably wire in my adjustable signal filter for the tach signal wire on my Koso.

Set plug gap at .028" for COPs.

The backrest/brackets/rack came in from Dobie so I assembled it with the newly painted/clearcoated fender. Really impressed with Cyclistic for a beautifully crafted backrest/rack. This whole thing is starting to come together and looks quite a bit like the mental image I had in my head when I started out. I wasnt to sure about this color but now that I see it on the bike I'm loving it! I thought it might be to light but it turns out to be exactly what I was looking for.

The camera went to the Philippines with the wifey so it will be a couple more weeks before I can post a pic but I'm anxious to show it off.

You and Rusty. I'm betting Zeus36 has more split loom than anyone here.

Picked up piles of it off eBay :)

I used larger split loom for the fork tubes in the space between the top and lower triple trees when I installed the gaiter boots.

307tf1v.jpg

Velocity stacks and intake sorted. Ready for spring...which in Duluth, MN is only 4 months away.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458534039.058288.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458534060.262342.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458534076.430357.jpg

Nice where did you get the shifter lever? that is a cool mod peace Dwayne

Thanks. It is actually a Hammerhead lever meant for a BMW GS 1100. My whole shift lever and linkage is modified to make my bike more comfortable for me. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458555450.479396.jpg

Zeus, did you get that rear brake sorted yet?

I have a 2002 model gold spot left R1 and a 2000 model blue spot right R1 caliper from eBay and the disc you sent me. I haven't decided if I'm going with a top mount or an upside down mounted rear caliper... I plan on putting on my 170 Shinko this weekend, so while I'm in there, I'll take a look at both mounting options. Since going with EBC HH pads all around, I've been pretty happy with the stock rear brake that I can lock up if I wish.

Going with a top mount will mean using the Exactrep adapter for $133.00 and the blue spot. I'm leaning more towards the gold spot for looks (I guess I could swap the center spots) although I find the top mount looks better with a stock rim where as an upside down mount seems to look better with a 17 or 18" wheel plus the caliper center spot is more visible. I do have a nice H-1 Heuy helicopter aluminum control arm with threaded spherical rod end bearings to replace the stock brake arm if I go with a top mount option.
There are some upside down hanger mounts that I need to look into as well - along with brake hose routing details, hose lengths, line mounting options, costs, and caliper pros and cons. The look I'm going for is naked street fighter/racing machine with aircraft hardware/Mad Max.
Really, anything non-stock goes :)

Advice and comments are welcome!

The gold spots are lighter. They have aluminum pistons. The blue have steel pistons. Everything else is the same.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Not only are the gold spots using the aluminum pistons a little lighter they are WAY smoother in operation - especially once they have some run time. The anti stiction coatings on the pistons work great and when I take them apart they are a LOT easier to do so.

I bought these on Amazon, they were recommended by Zues36. Work great, you do have to remove the fork tubes to install and cut off the split end of the gaiter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPCCFY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Note the price on the above link, Yankees.
Then check out the "sale" price on the Canadian site of this vendor.
http://www.tdotperformance.ca/rancho-rs1952-shock-boot.html
This is what we have to deal with, because of our collapsed dollar, tariffs and duties, etc.
Not that I'm complaining. After all, you have Donald Trump to deal with, and thanks to Canada, Justin Bieber!:biglaugh:
Cheers!

Back