what harm does "LUGGING" have

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna_dude74

Reaction score
Hello All,
So just to give you an idea of my riding style, I try to keep my RPM's around 2500-3000 rpm no matter what gear I'm in while riding by myself. One of the main reasons I got a bike was to save on gas, but I love the power when I need it. So someone had told me that LUGGING the motor is just as bad as over-reving.
Will someone please tell me what harm comes from keeping my RPM's so low in the upper gears?
Thanks,
Steve in Lansing

I'd say you're fouling plugs and not much else. Don't know for sure though.
Myself, I love to hear the gal scream and that middle gear is music to my ears.

less revolutions with lower rpm's will usually make longer parts life. However, if the bike chugs when accelerating you will want to shift down a gear. Making it chug or lug under load isn't all that good for parts.

Sean

if you're tuned right you shouldn't be fouling plugs.

Thank you for the reply everyone, I just wasn't sure. Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE the sound of the engine winding up, I was just after MPG's

You won't be doing any harm with an RPM of 3000.

As Morley said - if you are "chugging" just go to a different gear and bring up the rpms.

I frequently ride around town at 1500-2000 RPM, usually in third or fourth gear. While suddenly dumping the gas results in a lot of vibration, I just don't dump the gas. Never need to, and v-boosting in traffic is a quick way to get dead, or pulled over at least. An ever so slight roll on the gas provides sufficient pull to scoot around slow cars without "lugging", and the RPM's pick up to the 3000-3500 range where the engine doesn't really "lug" anymore quickly. If I suddenly need a burst of speed, just kick it down a gear or two.

Other than the speedometer jiggling up and down and the bike making a somewhat unpleasant "strained" noise I doubt it really has much of a detrimental effect.

What about several minutes at 7-8000 RPM on the highway, with the Venture drive? That's more my speed.

I'd say this engine is happy running at 3500 to 4000rpm and if the needle jet is set right, at 4000+ rpm, watch outttt, you're gone! :punk:
Running the engine below 2500rpm or above 9000rpm creates stress in the form of vibration, which over time results in breakdown.

Mike

Looks like everyone is right about my RPM range and the gear that I'm in while in town. I did make the mistake of trying to pass in a lower grear, then the boost kicked in! I about found myself in the backseat of a mustang, it doesn't take long to "SUCK-UP" distance when that thing opens up.

My thoughts exactly I like to ride hard work the bike like a rented mule:punk:
I like to keep my bike in a RPM range of 3500-4000,especially in town.That way if some dickhead decides to cut me off or tries to screw with me it's just a twist and G.O.N.E.....Keeps me out of trouble.I don't spank the guts out of my bike as much as most guys but i ride it hard enough.My favorite gears are 2nd and 3rd after that it's just cruising.It's your bike you break it you gotta fix it.It's your money!!

Latest posts

Back