What helmet are you wearing?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
I've got about $300 bucks in a gift card from a local shop burning a hole in my pocket. My current helmet is ok, got it dirt cheap. But I know there's much better out there. I've been looking at various helmets trying to figure out the best bang for the buck. I want a full face helmet with good airflow from a upright riding position. The helmet I currently got is better suited for a sport bike tuck position. Obviously less noise the better, but sorta of hard to have good airflow AND a quiet helmet. At least thats what it seems.

What helmets have you had success with on your VMax?

It's been said before get the best you can afford ! I have the scorpion 1000 ? It's ok as far as air flow it's nice and lite the one thing I noticed with 2 up wind gets behind and can make your head kinda of a side to side motion but not all the time. You will need to try on some . I know helmets that say large are really medium. Mine is a xl and very tight in the beginning just right now I think I paid under 200.00 .

I have a shoei rf1000 and an icon variant. I have a shaved head and I can feel the air movement on my head at 30-35 with the variant. Mine is black with a gold shield. Looks like a Halo Master Chief helmet. The kids like it.

It's been said before get the best you can afford ! I have the scorpion 1000 ? It's ok as far as air flow it's nice and lite the one thing I noticed with 2 up wind gets behind and can make your head kinda of a side to side motion but not all the time. You will need to try on some . I know helmets that say large are really medium. Mine is a xl and very tight in the beginning just right now I think I paid under 200.00 .

Right on. I'm not necessarily trying to be cheap. Just trying to find one that's been road tested by VMax riders to some degree. The downside to this local place is they don't do ANY sort of helmet refund. Which I think is BS. But again, it's actually their money I'm spending not mine. I won this gift card at the store one day when they were holding a random drawing. I'm thinking about maybe use the gift card for a Go Pro or something and just buying my own helmet. But looking at all options. :biglaugh:

I have a Bell RS-1 in matte black with a transition shield. Light weight, good air flow and good looks. I have been very happy with it. Not cheap though.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 29
I have a shoei rf1000 and an icon variant. I have a shaved head and I can feel the air movement on my head at 30-35 with the variant. Mine is black with a gold shield. Looks like a Halo Master Chief helmet. The kids like it.

I was looking at the Icon AirMada. Seems to have a ton of airflow.

I have a Bell RS-1 in matte black with a transition shield. Light weight, good air flow and good looks. I have been very happy with it. Not cheap though.

Thats a slick looking helmet. Looks like it might be designed for more of a racing/tuck riding position though. Does your Vmax have drag bars or a more aggressive riding position by chance? Mine is pretty much bone stock.

Im looking to buy a new helmet also. Dont get the hjc-cl16 or any cheapy hjc. I paid $120 for it and it is dot and snell aproved but the shield hardware is junk and falls apart after you put the shield up and down a few rides and your on the side of the road messing with it again. I might make it my track helmet. Im looking for a light weight helmet thats better for my neck. The hjc is 3lbs 4oz Im woundering if i can find a 2lbs to 2.4 lbs helmet for like $150 or so.

Im looking to buy a new helmet also. Dont get the hjc-cl16 or any cheapy hjc. I paid $120 for it and it is dot and snell aproved but the shield hardware is junk and falls apart after you put the shield up and down a few rides and your on the side of the road messing with it again. I might make it my track helmet. Im looking for a light weight helmet thats better for my neck. The hjc is 3lbs 4oz Im woundering if i can find a 2lbs to 2.4 lbs helmet for like $150 or so.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll steer clear of those!

I use a Zoan Privilege. Its carbon fiber and pretty light which is nice on long trips but fogs up a bit in cool weather. got it for $150.00 from craigs list,, brand new, but i think they are a round $30.00 from the store.

Thats a slick looking helmet. Looks like it might be designed for more of a racing/tuck riding position though. Does your Vmax have drag bars or a more aggressive riding position by chance? Mine is pretty much bone stock.

I have stock bars with a fly screen. Sitting on a flat surface like in the picture it might not look right. My wife wears the same helmet. I get a little side to side wind buffeting when riding double. Love the transition shield but again not cheap.

I have the scorpion 500 in matte black. I like it....and it was right at 200. Ive had mine for 2 years....with no issues at all.

Attachments

• 51xr-erYHFL._SY300_.jpg
    51xr-erYHFL._SY300_.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 13
  • matte-black-360-view-exo-500-helmet-3.jpg
    matte-black-360-view-exo-500-helmet-3.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
out of stock. and gone for that price. back to looking.

I have 3, but the only one I still use is the O'neil Tirade w blu tooth. I love the Blinc blue tooth for listening to my jams on the road. (I have a windshield and the built in speakers are good up to 85 for me) I ran a wire from the battery up to the handle bars to plug in my phone. I use it to play my jams, take phone calls, and use the GPS. The telephone part is worthless until you slow down, but I can answer a incoming call with something like "hold on a sec while I pull over" then talk just fine when still.

Its a bit better then my other 2 on wind noise and has almost no aero lift at high speed. I have never used it without the windshield, so I can't tell you what that would be like

I bought an LS2 modular helmet recently. I wasnt looking for modular, I didnt even know it was when I first tried it on. The reason I got it was because it was basically the only helmet in my price range that fit my head comfortably. It has some nice features like rachet straps under the chin, good airflow vents, and built in sun visor which works nice. It is loud though. I have an older ICON hooligan which wasnt bad but the visor hardware broke easily and a Shoei RF1000 which is the best thing that ever went on my head and protected nicely when I was rear-ended at a stoplight.

More than you have to spend w/your voucher, but I really-like my Shark Evoline modular.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-helmet-solid-colors

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=32248&highlight=shark+evoline

See post #20 at: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=30798&highlight=shark+evoline&page=2

You can't get more airflow than an open-face helmet! and, it's aero style means you can wear it safely open, but close it when you want the protection of a full-face helmet. And, it's rated for use in both configurations.

I have bought this helmet from revzilla and I like it.:biglaugh: http://www.motorcycleobsession.com/Helmets/shoei/Qwest/Shoei-Qwest-Passage-helmet-Large.jpg
It's made for a cruiser style of straight up seating position. I rode last year up here in Sedona and it has good airflow. Kept my head cool even when it was over 100. That's as long as your moving. Much quieter then any other helmet I have had. There is wind noise on a windy day which is a given otherwise I cant complain. I can hear cars coming up on the side of me on the highway and I am running Delkevic slip-ons. It does come with the chin shield for colder weather riding and it does help a lot. No more frozen chin. As far as the weight it seems light enough for me even on long and windy rides. The pads are interchangeable for tailored comfort and be taken out and washed.

Back