What I Did With My Entire Sunday...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't work on any of the bikes....:rofl_200:
For Future referance in this thread, ARFCOM means AR15.COM.

I took my CMMG AR-22 Rifle and 6 different types of ammo to the range. One of the ARFCOM Members wants to buy CMMG when he returns from the Sand Box. I mentioned in another Thread there that I'd do some tests this weekend so he could see what the upper was capable of with good ammo.

This rifle has the CMMG Sierra Upper with add ons of a stainless steel bolt and collar, forward assist, anti jam charging handle, bolt hold open and bho magazines. The lower is CMMG that I built with a DPMS Parts Kit. The hammer / trigger springs are standard DMPS. I've added a few do dads but no trick stuff here.

The scope is 4x - 30 Cheapo, The crosshair at 25 yards is about half as big as these small centers. Not the most conducive to accurate shooting. I believe the scope cost me $22.00. This is basically the rifle you can purchase (With a Mil Spec Lower) for the normal price of $550.00. I've kept it close to that original idea of inexpensive as I can manage. What you see is what you can get from CMMG..... Minus the Do Dads and add ons, that really do nothing to enhance accuracy.

Normally, I've always tried to keep a low profile at my usual range (SPPPC). I really like to shoot in peace. Today, John my friend was there. I asked him to shoot the rifle so we could see how well it did with someone very new to AR-22's and also with me. I'm currently well over 100,000 rounds through various AR-22's. John hasn't fired a rifle except a couple times in the past 3 years. One of those times was another rifle I was testing. John normally shoots only pistols....

When we were done shooting, we went into the lounge area of the range. There was another shooter there showing his AR that he has a CMMG 22 Conversion for. I tried but couldn't get into the conversation. So I went and took my rifle out and held it in front of everybody. They stopped cold, just long enough for me to say "Hi, I'm Dave, SpecOps-13 of ARFCOM. I'm doing some shooting for CMMG. We continued to talk about the conversion and the dedicated 22 upper. Everybody liked them both.

1st picture, the rifle (Sorry that the picture sucks), I took it with an old Sony, floppy Disk Camera...

Note, All shooting was at 25 yards.......

2nd picture was a warm up for john on top and me in the actual center. John kept 7 of 10 in the bull and I had 10 of 10.

3rd picture, Top targets using Federal Pistol Match Ammo, No Surprise, haven't had any luck with this in a rifle yet. Guess that's why It's Pistol Ammo... Center targets, Fiocchi SM 320 Super Match, Not bad at all. Bottom targets, Eley Match, Not bad either...

4th picture, Top targets were done with Wolf Match Target. Not really bad either. Center targets, RWS Subsonic. I didn't like this stuff. Too light for my tastes. Bottom target, WalMart Federal Bulk,, so what can I say.

5th picture, I had John shoot this target with Eley Match. He was having a difficult time getting comfortable and lost count of how many he had on each target.. Thanks for shooting with me John. I know it was rough just being thrown into it.
icon_smile_big.gif

This has taken my entire day to get ready, go to the range and shoot, get home, clean the rifle and etc., take pictures, do the write up and post it on several different sites. From 9:30 this morning until now 10:00 pm.:bang head:
Yeah, I'm done. Now I can read VMax. Oh BTW, I did cheat and stop in here a couple times today.:biglaugh:

Dave / SpecOps13
MyCMMGRifle-1.jpg

InitialWarmUpJohnandMe-1.jpg

FedPistolMatchFiocchiEley-1.jpg

WolfRWSFereralBulk.jpg

JohnwithEleyMatch-1.jpg

Cool, nice tight groupings. Always impressed me how some people can squeeze off such close groups every time. Nice!!:biglaugh:
I just remember every year before deer season my dad would put up a piece of butcher paper 50 yds away on a tree with a circle in it at tell me to shoot. He gave me five rounds, if I hit the paper, all was good for me. He would take his Marlin 30-30, put a roofing tack on a stake, drive it in the ground at 100yds, 3 shots later (or less) eliminate the tack, and we would be done and the season would start. :worthy:
I never got to that point for sure.

My Dad loved firearms but seldom took me to the range. I learned any secrets I have while in the military... The barrels in the rifle like I tested yesterday are so cheap, it's amazing they will group at all.:biglaugh:

Spec Have you tried firelapping any of those cheaper barrels?

I can't say that I have tried it with a .22 however everything else I have tried has responded very well, shrinking group sizes in each and every case.

Because I'm testing these for CMMG, I really can't make changes that would be unfair for customers to expect.

I currently hold the Unofficial AR-22 World Record for a 5 shot group @25 yards with another manufacturers standard AR-22, M4 barrel. At 0.025 Center to Center of the 2 worst hits. Customers can expect that type of accuracy from their barrels right out of the box.... I also have 5 groups in the Best Black Rifle Targets Ever.. Those with various manufacturers barrels. I'm stuck to shooting them as received.

The CEO of CMMG wrote me this morning to let me know that this will be a rough week filling all the orders from what I wrote on ARFCOM yersteday...
I Wrote him back and said, "Deal With It". :rofl_200:

No Rich, St Pete. Police Pistol Club.. You and I need to go to Hernando..
I was gonna call you today but Kyle and I figured you were working...

SpecOps, I am interested in purchasing an AR-15 one of these days. I am thinking a .308 cal. you got any suggestions on a good one for a real reasonable price?

bigrubbers4x4: I built and tested a 7.62 X 39 a while back. I like it a lot and ammo is readily available. Most of the 7.62 's that are available for the AR-15 format are much harder to find as they are still experimental cartridges.

In an AR-10, the pricing goes up considerably but you could get standard NATO 7.62 Chambering. Which is actually a lightened 308 Winchester. Also, Springfield has the M1A but it's close to $2,000.00. It's actually an M14 in semi auto. I do have a Scout M1A done up in Mossy Oak. I have $2100.00 in it though. I got a $200.00 discount when I bought it... Have you thought about the 6.8 SPC. It's a nice round. But ammo availability is a big ?????

There are so many rifles and so little time. I'm supposed to go to a closed private range sometime this week to shoot my RWS 45 ACP Upper. maybe even Full Auto. Haven't heard back about that yet...

Ask me more specific questions if any come to mind. I'll be happy to assist you in finding the perfect AR..:biglaugh:..

VMAX1260: I'm currently retired?? I do Weapons Systems Testing and Evaluation for a number of firearms manufacturers. Other than that, I do my best to promote the public view of NATO Forces. I also endeavor to assist those in remote and / or combat zones with any question they may have regarding firearms they are interested in buying for personal use when they return home..

If I work with any manufacturer they may buy from, I give them as much info and facts about the products as I can. It helps them escape from the dangers for a short time and think about life after the Isolation or Combat. I don't limit myself to only those, I will help anyone in a free world military in any way I can... I also ride with the Patriot Guard At times. I do everything I can for the families of American Troops that are lost.

My work in the military would be considered split between Black Ops and Special Operations. At the time I was in, the United States didn't admit to having those types of operations. My # 13 came from the number of brothers I left behind, 12 plus 1 makes me # 13. It is highly unlikely that I could visit you where you live because of the proximity to other countries near you that have radical beliefs. After all the years I have been out of the military, I am still at risk and pose a risk to American National Security. I guess.. How valuable can 32 YO intel be....That's almost Precambrian...:rofl_200:

That's really all I can say.

Great Videos, I Salute You for the work you do...

Dave

Vmax1260 and SpecOps13, thank you guys for your service!!! i was in from 94 to 2001. i used to build assault landing strips for C-130's, i was part of a 32 man combat team. i carried an M203 attached to my M16 and a 9MM. i really miss my M203/M16. my favorite weapon to shoot by far has to have been the .50 barrett, now that is one sweet weapon!!

bigrubbers4x4: Thank You for your service.

I hated the M16 / AR-15 for years after the POS they gave me while in Laos and Cambodia... Just got into them deep about 5 years ago or so... Hooked badly now...

I hated the M16 / AR-15 for years after the POS they gave me while in Laos and Cambodia... Just got into them deep about 5 years ago or so... Hooked badly now...

ha ha, yeah i hear ya there. the fellas on my team used to call me Pvt. Pyle after the one from the movie Full Metal Jacket because every time we had a free minute i had my weapon tore down and cleaned it. ha ha, mine never jammed though like some of theirs so i didnt mind the nick name.:th_biggun:

I received this package via UPS Brown this morning. I couldn't do much more
than enjoy the craftsmanship that went into this new conversion. Not a good
day to go to the range. Nice, Very Nice 22 Conversion Bolt Assembly for an
AR-15 / M16.. I do have a picture... This is made by CMMG, Central Missouri
Machine Gun..

Note, These are designed to be used with the Bolt Hold Open Assy made by CMMG.
It locks the lugs in place making the conversion Rock Solid in the 5.56MM Upper...

It came complete with forward assist assembly... The Brass part that looks like
the front of a 5.56 bolt assembly actually locks the unit in place for a much more
stable and solid conversion bolt assembly..

CMMGTwistLockConversion.jpg

i am not m16 or m4 fun either. Ok dont laugh but one of my favorite machine is the g3a3. 7.62 like it lots more tha F/N Fal . now when it comes to pistols. Love the old time classic Browning HP. Also like a lot IMI jericho 941 f. And adored Beretta px4 storm.
Bigrubbers4x4 barrett is a hell of a machinery. Specops you seem a man of great knowledge of what common people call weapons. AND YOU OWN A V-Max too. xexe this combination is deadly. :))

Thanks VMAX1260. I started working on and with firearms when I was 8 YO. I used to be very good at hitting the target. My eye sight was 20-15 back then. I had glasses made last year that correct my vision to that. The Eye Doctor is a shooter too so he knew how important it is...

To be honest, my favorite weapon of all time has to be the British SMLE that I had for hunting when I was stationed at NORAD, in Colorado. My thoughts seemed to be transmitted to the rifle. It hit anything I asked it to... When I bought it it was $35.00 USD..

I talked to the CEO of CMMG tonight. I've got him thinking along the lines of acquiring a 5.56mm Mini Gun for he and I to test....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Back