What Is This?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of figuring out some electrical issues I have been having and in the process I came across a black wire with a white connector attached to the end that doesn't connect to anything. It is taped into the harness along side the red wire that connects to my r/r (which is on its way out). It looks to run somewhere to the front of the bike, it looks stock, so I don't think it was a previous owners handy-work. Have a look at the pic where I am pointing to this mystery connector/wire.

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
To me, it looks aftermarket.
Generally the factory doesn't do the 1-wire connectors for hot and ground. I'm thinking the previous owner probably wired up an accessory like a radar detector, gps, or something of the nature.

If you have a aftermarket rectifier than i would say that this is the old wiring from the original rectifier

If you have a aftermarket rectifier than i would say that this is the old wiring from the original rectifier

That is the stock finned RR ground cable next to the red positive...

+1 on it being the regulator/rectifier ground wire

My bike is a 1997 and the r/r is grounded at the r/r backing plate...so that can't be it...unless, the factory installed the ground wired in 1997 but not the upgraded r/r:confused2:

My bike is a 1997 and the r/r is grounded at the r/r backing plate...so that can't be it...unless, the factory installed the ground wired in 1997 but not the upgraded r/r:confused2:

The backing plate is grounded, part #28 in this fiche
ELECTRICAL_2.png

Exactly. Ground wire from the regulator plugs in there.

I think the fiche diagram is very misleading. From what I understand from 1985 up to and including 1997 models used a shunt style r/r that was grounded to the bike through the back of the r/r itself and there was no ground wire coming from the r/r unit. (this style was prone to overheating and are generally crap). From 1998 up until 2007 they where changed to a finned style r/r that now had an extra wire (ground) coming from the unit itself that attached via a connector to the frame on the right side of the bike up by the faux tank.
Now what I find misleading is that the fiche shows an r/r without fins (pre 1997) but has the ground wire (#28)- (post 1997).
Man, I am getting so confused...maybe it is me getting too old:)
Why would Yamaha put the ground wire and connector on my 1997 and then install an r/r that doesn't use or need that ground wire?

1996 was the first year for the new regulator design (which is easily adapted to the earlier design).

Mine's a 93 with a standard "slim" regular and the earth cable running up to the battery.

I've recently relocated the R/R up under the seat to keep it dry

1996 was the first year for the new regulator design (which is easily adapted to the earlier design).

Well Sean, I certainly am not going to disagree with your expertise, but all I can conclude then is that the previous owner of my 1997 V-max replaced the r/r with an older style unit at some point...why he would do that makes no sense to me:confused2:

Cost or someone ordered the incorrect unit. The finned work much better and may even solve your hot start issues.

Back