What to do? Chance to own a V max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashr21bud

Reaction score
About three years ago one of my friends dad's died in a motorcycle accident. RIP Mr. Redman They let the bike sit for a couple years just as a keep sake. She recently came to me asking me what her dad's bike was worth. It just so happens to be a 85 V Max in great shape that maybe needs 500 in parts and I've been wanting a V max for a couple years to cruise around town with. Only problem is I almost feel like the bike is cursed or maybe shouldn't be owneb by someone who knows the past of the bike. The kbb is around 2500 and I told her I'd be willing to give them 800 for it and fix it myself. What would you guys do? Fix it and ride it? Help them sell it? Btw is there anything anyone does after recieve a bike a fellow rider past away on because I feel it would only be proper for me to do something for the family and my friend

Ride safe everyone

#1 It's a 1985 so it must be kept on the road and not parted out if at all possible

#2 It's a motorcycle not a witches broom so the cursed thing is crap

#3 If you feel strongly about the bike or the situation help them sell it

#4 If you want it BUY IT but I think 800 bux is kinda screwing them

All just my opinion......no offense meant.......:confused2:

BURN IT. Thats what they do.
But who the hell are they?

mmmmmmm :ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm:.
It just so happens that I am one who owns a bike that A RIDER went out on:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:..
I dont know.:confused2::confused2::confused2:
The bike I have is to far gone to ever be ridden again but I have kept it cause the motor is good. And I would love to build a 1000cc gocart. :confused2::confused2:

Your bike????
What kind of rider was he?
What kind of rider are you?
You could ride it in his honor.
Or you could let it get to you and puss out then let that GREAT BIKE go to waste. :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head: :confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:
RIDE that sonbitch. In his honor. If he owned a Vmax, he wanted it riden. You have the chance to RIDE it.

FREERIDER

It's for real man. He died on the bike it got laid down on the right hand side he just wasnt wearing a helmet. Someone pulled out infront of him and he died of massive head trauma. From what I've seen the bike needs ne handle bars front brake setup new tires possibly because they sat for so long. A new air scoop, Gas tank/air box cover and exhaust in the future and a foot peg bracket and peg. Now I know that sounds like alot but I didn't plan on fixing it all at once and I'm sure it needs a tune up all new fluids and what not so getting it for 800 when it's worth 2500 really isn't a smokin deal by any means. It need's alot of little work. If the family wanted me to fix it up and then sell it they wouldnt be making anymore then a 1000 bucks on it from whats needed Either way I do want the bike it would be gorgeous when it's all fixed up and I wouldn't really mind that thought that he died on it just would think that his soul is in the bike and he never would be forgotten in my heart.

Yeah the bike is not a witch.
First if you didn't know the story you may have bought this bike anyway.
Second, knowing the story it's a way to keep the memory about that story.

So get the bike and ride it, but wear an helmet no matter what :)

It's for real man. He died on the bike it got laid down on the right hand side he just wasnt wearing a helmet. Someone pulled out infront of him and he died of massive head trauma. From what I've seen the bike needs ne handle bars front brake setup new tires possibly because they sat for so long. A new air scoop, Gas tank/air box cover and exhaust in the future and a foot peg bracket and peg. Now I know that sounds like alot but I didn't plan on fixing it all at once and I'm sure it needs a tune up all new fluids and what not so getting it for 800 when it's worth 2500 really isn't a smokin deal by any means. It need's alot of little work. If the family wanted me to fix it up and then sell it they wouldnt be making anymore then a 1000 bucks on it from whats needed Either way I do want the bike it would be gorgeous when it's all fixed up and I wouldn't really mind that thought that he died on it just would think that his soul is in the bike and he never would be forgotten in my heart.

Then I'm sorry for doubting you, it just seemed like one of those too hard to believe it's true kinda things. Sorry you lost your friend but I'm sure he would think if he can't ride it why not have someone he knew have it.

I too question the amount you are offering, I think you know it is worth more than that and if it was me and I only paid $800 I wouldn't be worried about any ghosts or anything I would worry about the guilt I would have to live with, just being real.

If it only needs $500 to be fixed that means for $1300 you got a nice VMAX ??? If you can live with that I say go for it and enjoy the shit out of it !!!

Ron

I think $800 is plenty fair considering you have no knowledge of other stuff you may need to do. Carbs may end up needing cleaned. Have you looked over the lower triple and frame section? Did it get into the scoops and or bed the pegs on the right side. if so then the frame may have some damage (usually not enough where I would worry about it).. Exhuast is likely damaged and so on.

Sean

If they agree to $800 then it's fair. You may have a lot of hidden expenses depending on how and where it sat for years.

Think of it this way. You may have a Guardian Angle riding with you on this bike, that could be a very good thing.

Dave

RIDE that sonbitch. In his honor. If he owned a Vmax, he wanted it riden. You have the chance to RIDE it.
Holy crap, Freerider,..I heard that "all the way over to my house" LOL!!!:rofl_200:

Yeah the bike is not a witch.
First if you didn't know the story you may have bought this bike anyway.
Second, knowing the story it's a way to keep the memory about that story.

So get the bike and ride it, but wear an helmet no matter what :)

Put "harley" gremlin bells all over it, throw "salt" over your shoulder, and carry a 4 leaf clover ,:th_scared:LOL

Just havin fun...sounds like a good project.

Well I'm waiting to hear back from her. She's been talking with her mom and the rest of the family. The most I'd offer for it is prolly a grand just because it was layed down and theres always a surprise waiting for you that you didn't see earlier. I'll keep you guys posted. Hoping to have it by next week if all goes well.

Personally, I do not let the folly of superstition run my life. People cause accidents not bikes. If the wreck was caused my mechanical failure "The bike didn't do it". Bikes are a non-living item & can not take on a personallity or make decisions. Left untouched they do nothing.

My opinion is if you want it, Buy it. I own an '85 & love it. I've owned droped bikes in the past & my Track bike is an "R" title due to a very small ding in the frame. No issues.

Buy it.

:thumbs up:

RR

Kj........Sean.....

Valid point I wasn't thinking about the surprises that always lurk on a project:confused2:

Where is it? I've got an extra $800.00, and would love to have another '85 to keep mine company..

SERIOUSLY - There are no "curses" on bikes, cars, or anything else.
I'd be willing to bet that VMax was the prized possession of the guy who died.
If it was me - I'd sure as hell want that bike fixed up and RIDDEN!

If you're guilty about giving $800.00 for the bike - offer them a bit more, or give a few bucks to the SPCA in your friends memory.

Well seeings its your friends I would give them a straight 1,000 just for shits and giggles. That way you have a clean slate of nobody getting the better deal. :confused2:Worst case is you can part the bike to make your money no problem and them some. :clapping: Just my two cents...........

Latest posts

Back