What to do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bawls

Reaction score
So here's my dilemma... I've been dreaming of vmax's since i can remember, and i should be about 4 days from owning one. I got a phone call today from a good friend back home that owns a suzuki/kawi shop saying that he has a white zx14 sitting in the back that he took in on trade with like 1200 miles on it. I told him that i was coming in next week and he said that he would hold it in the back until i look at it. i can get it for what he payed for it "cough 8,000 cough". What to do, what to do?

Why not have the best of both worlds? Take advantage of the great deal on the ZX14 now. Then save for awhile and pick up an older, but decent Max for less money and start building it up as a "scare the crap out of you" street brawler. Just a thought.

I wouldn't even go to see it. If you do you will get the bug to jump on anything and ride. If you wanted a max then just wait for one. If you buy it - Then you will always be wondering "maybe I should have waited and bought a Vmax", after the novelty wears off. I can tell ya, it took me a better of ten years to buy one and then I did and never looked back. There is something about them that seperates them from anything else out there. Even though my wife kept on saying, what about this one ? or that one, ect... I told her if it isn't a Vmax then I'm not interested - I've waited this long and if I have to wait a bit longer - so be it. She wanted me to get a new bike, as long as it wasn't a sport bike. She would never get on the back of one of them.
I ended up with a 93 with 18Kms. It was in great shape and lov it ! It didn't matter to me if was used. I hope you can hold off until a max comes along. It's up to you. I know there is many bikes out there which are faster, handle better and look great too. However, it comes down to what you want. It ends up costing you more in the long run ( in most cases ) if you buy that one then later sell it and then turn around get a max. Along with all the bull shit with the paper work, and selling....ect.

If you have been riding for years, on all kinds of bikes, it's hard to say how you'll feel about buying a Vmax. Anyone can ride a crotch rocket, most handle great and have a ton of power, but not everyone can feel comfortable on a Vmax. It takes a while getting use to, if this is your first bike, I suggest you maybe go with something else. They can get you into trouble in a hurry ! Most on here will tell you that - because of the torque/ weight/ crappy brakes/ shitty cornering....ect.

Understand they are not for everyone, but if want a bike that stands alone, and your willing to take the time to get to know it. Then the Vmax is a great bike to ride, even though (STOCK) is some-what limited. I'm tempted to buy another bike for long trips, for when the wife comes along. But I'd never sell it to get another, because, there is nothing else like them. :biglaugh:

I'm luckey enough to buy most any bike. But the vmax does all I need. I ride with the wife always. You need to wait for one.

I am very happy with my Vmax, but it can be a handful at times (ie: high speed corners). I have ridden bikes most of my life but this is the most powerful one I have owned. I have owned it for almost 5 months and just now getting used to it's idiosyncracies. I can see now it's gonna need some brake work (upgrades, been eyeing my brothers FZ-1 front brakes!), fork brace, front springs, dropping the front forks, and the like. I would caution you if this is your first bike because it will get you into trouble quickly if trying to go fast.
Beyond that, it is a awesome bike to ride. It will only get better with a little time fiddling with it and a lot of money! I will have a second bike in a few years (FJR1300) but I will always have my Vmax.
Good luck with your purchase decision! :thumbs up:

I've already found an 07 max as well... I can buy either, and when all is said and done i'll probably end up with a max. I've always wanted a max, and it's the only bike that has ever pulled the muscles in between my shoulder blades. I've also wanted a 14 since the first time i got to ride one, but it was out of the question because i knew my wife would never let me have one. Now she will lol. That's why the decision is so hard to make. I can buy a 14 and a cheap max for the price of a new max. or i can use the 14 to hold me off until 09 and then get that max lol.

Just depends on what you want to do when you ride. I want to pick up a ZX14 or 'Busa in addition to my 'Max.

I LOVE the way my V-Max cruises out, and will love it even more when I get the seat my way and some forward controls on it, or at least highway pegs. It's a blast going on long cruises with it where my friends riding rockets don't want to go, and then blowing all the V-Twins out of the water when we get "playfull". :D I am going to either make a sissy bar for my wife's peace of mind, or buy one for the 'Max.

On the other hand, the 'Max won't hang with anything larger than a 600 sport bike for our shorter rides, and it definately doesn't stop as well as any sport bike at the moment. I personally don't like the way the 6's feel, or even some of the liter bikes, so a 'Busa or ZX14 for me for sure, as I love the way a 'Busa rides, and the 14 I hear is VERY similar, or even nicer.

For me, I'll end up with two bikes for certain, just not sure when.

This is a personal decision only really you can make. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

I am not a Vmax fanatic so I would say buy the 14 and wait for the 2K9 to come out... The ZX14 is faster than a Vmax, handles better and stops WAY better too.

8000 for a 14 is pretty good! They make a pretty good sport tourer too.:whistlin:

If your heart says Vmax buy Vmax then. It really depends on what you want and need in a bike. I couldn't have just a Vmax at this point in my life. I like to have the sport bike too.

Good luck

I could sell you a cheap Vmax and you can put it together as you come up with the money. Of course they are always worth more as parts so youd spend more that way.

Sean

bought a new 06 max for $9800..six weeks ago..didnt care it wasnt the fastest, quickest, or best handleing....the power can still get you in trouble overall ride and handleing feel great to me,,,,still has carbs any true hotrod has carbs ....and it tweeks your mind just warming it up like no other metric....ill go with a bike that been around for 25 .. max still gathers a crowd.....and what the hell you have a v boost :coolgleamA:

From my corner of the world..I bought a 85 Max with very low miles for cruising for around $3K and I'm keeping my eye out for a older sport bike for blasting corners. Considering sport bikes lose almost 40% of their value after 24 months. There are folks in the Dallas area already selling Busa's for only $6K with clear titles

Yep, and for a couple grand more you may find one with a turbo. That would be fun.....

Mark

From my corner of the world..I bought a 85 Max with very low miles for cruising for around $3K and I'm keeping my eye out for a older sport bike for blasting corners. Considering sport bikes lose almost 40% of their value after 24 months. There are folks in the Dallas area already selling Busa's for only $6K with clear titles

Yep, and for a couple grand more you may find one with a turbo. That would be fun.....

Mark

Yeah I've seen some turbo 'Busa's putting down 250 plus to the tire for under 10!

The problem with MOST Busa's and especially turbo'd Busa's is they haven't lived a very easy life... Just go to Google Video or You Tube and look at them getting beat to death. This is why I save up and buy new now. I will take the hit on depreciation(sp?) :whistlin:

As I understand why you say that and feel that way. I'm just going to beat on it as well, so I'll be money ahead and just fix it later. I'm just cheap I guess. ;)

Latest posts

Back