When will first magazine covers appear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it may be a hoax....
But your line of reasoning baffles me...no one has don't it so...what? its ridiculous on the merit of not having been done before?

lets see...there is a HORSEPOWER limiting switch on the new gixxer 1000, the busa and even the benelli's so limiting horsepower is a know quantity.

I would suppose that if you wanted to cut top speed its easy with a speed limiter but what if you wanted to keep acceleration at a maximum? how would you do it? you cant use a rev limiter unless it only kicks in during top gear...but if you have throttle by wire you can write all sorts of algorithms to limit POWER in any part of the rev or speed range..

Its plausible...especially as we know the bike already had a funky top speed limiter that changes when the computer feels all the inputs of a quarter mile run have been met.
Yes i have no doubt it's a hoax, and yes their are a lot of bikes that have their torque(hp) reduced in the lower gears to help prevent accidental wheel stands etc, but all allow full power in the higher gears and if limited for top speed will use the ecu to cut in at certain rpm and gear combination's their bye allowing max acceleration in top gear to the last ounce possible.
I 'm sure they could limit top speed using hp reduction only if they wanted to but it would terrible way to do it , ie 220 k's on the flat would become 190 on a gradient ,and as stated earlier it would take a bloody lot less hp than 197 to limit it to 220k's(there by reducing acceleration in top gear substantially).There is a very good reason why man has not reinvented the wheel

Yes .... their are a lot of bikes that have their torque(hp) reduced in the lower gears to help prevent accidental wheel stands etc, but all allow full power in the higher gears and if limited for top speed will use the ecu to cut in at certain rpm and gear combination's their bye allowing max acceleration in top gear to the last ounce possible.

Yes that is true....the Busa for instance does this. The builders of that bike have different intentions than do the builders of the Vmax no? wheel stands are a serious issue for the busa. No one said that the vmax didnt allow " max acceleration in top gear to the last ounce possible. "... it just said that its shutting her down in top gear at a predetermined speed....they dont want the bike used for high speed street runs obviously. I think most people understand the nature of the computer control throttle is in reducing flow to the engine which...guess what...limits power. Anyone one who has rode or driven vehicles with rev limiters will tell you they suck...abrupt and rough. Controlling a bike or cars speed through electronic throttle control is much "nicer" because it simulates lifting off the gas or rolling back the throttle. if you have the bike on the dyno when this event occurs you will see the power drop on the graph as surely as if you had just eased up during the run.... its also the preferred method of traction control.

I 'm sure they could limit top speed using hp reduction only if they wanted to but it would terrible way to do it , ie 220 k's on the flat would become 190 on a gradient ,and as stated earlier it would take a bloody lot less hp than 197 to limit it to 220k's(there by reducing acceleration in top gear substantially).There is a very good reason why man has not reinvented the wheel

I see where your going... i think your taking our little hoax far too literally... maybe if the hoax was stated as..." the bikes engine makes 240hp but we limit top speed by introducing a throttle control feature that will allow only 220kph..... when the computer closes the throttles the power level at that speed drops to about 197 or so depending on conditions."

As for a terrible way to do it...well...thats only if your thinking that the bike has a HP sensor (ha!) and is limiting itself to 197 once you shift into 5th...regardless of any other inputs. But even in that scenario, if you met a hill there would be no hp reduction , because the engine is maintaining 197 right? It is in fact your preferred rev limiter scenario that runs into trouble on a grade.... if your hitting the rev limit of your busa going up a mountain you just get slower as the load on the bike increases without any ability to influence power production. The hoax scenario WOULD maintain 197....

If it exists...

And you right about the wheel....why reinvent the wheel....those wooden oxcart wheels from the 15th century were fantastic track day tires....especially the super sticky mahogany ones.... i heard that the light weight ash wheels were good for 2 tenths in the quarter mile.....but maybe thats a hoax......

RJ

I found this article going through some vmaxchat forum. Thought you might find interesting;

1BikeVMaxp2003.jpg

Maxcruiser....this appears to be the august issue of BIKE magazine from england...am i right? we wont see that in canada or the us for some time i think.... could you PDF the articles? is there more on the bike in the magazine?

Maxcruiser....this appears to be the august issue of BIKE magazine from england...am i right? we wont see that in canada or the us for some time i think.... could you PDF the articles? is there more on the bike in the magazine?

RJ, I found this posted on vmaxchat forum - I just cut and pasted on this thread - not sure what mag it came from hard to read at bottom - You can save to your computer - than zoom it bigger to read better.

Mike

And you right about the wheel....why reinvent the wheel....those wooden oxcart wheels from the 15th century were fantastic track day tires....especially the super sticky mahogany ones.... i heard that the light weight ash wheels were good for 2 tenths in the quarter mile.....but maybe thats a hoax......

Now who is taking things to literally , but I see your point ,well put

Got my Cycle World today - the cover says "At long last...MAX". The Back in Black feature is a pretty nice write up. It'll be even better when they have one in their hands & they can track-test it.

Found this site interesting in two areas, under category, they have sport and also check out the ratings - don't know how accurate this is, but I did find it interesting.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_vmax_2009.php

Mike

Hey that's amazing Mike. Psychic ratings.

These people apparently have the ability to rate a bike that isn't available, they don't own and haven't ridden!!!

Maybe we should add our psychic reviews as well :ummm:

These people apparently have the ability to rate a bike that isn't available, they don't own and haven't ridden!!!

I'm firing up my telepathic transporter now. It runs on corn oil and takes 62 hours to warm up. Then it'll fire off my thoughts into the airwaves.
I hope they are warming up their telepathic receiver!

Gleno, just goes to show you the crap you can find on the internet.

I like how they estimated repair costs as more than other sportbikes - how could they that?

Obviously, this site is full of crap - but just wanted to get a reaction from you all.

Mike

Just picked up the August edition of Cycleworld, and guess whats on the front page:confused2:

The new 2009 VMAX !!!

All these articles and still no new information. they are just rehashing everything Yamaha has told them. :damn angry: I'd like to see some actually road tests.

Cycle Canada & MMM Nov/Dec issues.

Attachments

• CC 09 V-Max PR.pdf
    344.9 KB · Views: 18
  • MMM 09 V-Max.pdf
    310.6 KB · Views: 14
Back