Where to start (minor mods and additions)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
I'm the very happy owner of a 1994 VMAX. I've wanted one since the first came out and it only took me 29 years to finally get one. It has 17K mile but looks like new. No slippage in any gears, idles smooth and sounds great. As far as I know it's pretty much stock with the exception on a K&N air filter and holes drilled in the exhaust baffles. I'm planning on changing the oil and coolant just so I have a baseline but I also want to start adding some thing to make it mine :eusa_dance:. The things I'm thinking about include and oil pressure gauge, shift light, knee plates (if I can find any) plus anything else my budget can afford. I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can provide or links to sites that you've used where I can buy parts to personalize my MAX (still working on a name). This forum has been the best source of information that I've found and I plan to be part of this group for quite some time. Thanks again.

Doug

Welcome to the world of VMAX

If you want to ride it comfortably you're going to need a seat . I know just the guy !

+1 on the seat (if you happen to find the stock seat not to your liking. While myself, i like the stock seat, but if the shape was not right for me, I would be getting a new one IMMEDIATELY!)

Any other mods which help the bike feel more comfortable are a plus. I replaced the stock grips with Kyryakyn Iso Grips almost immediately. I also replaced the pegs with Kuryakyn pieces. and a windshield was added, along with a homemade cupholder and a throttle lock so I can give my right hand a break now and then. Next on the list is different shaped bars, to give the grips a more comfortable angle for me.

Comfort on the bike will help make you want to ride it even more.

Where to start! So much available! Myself and a few others on here can help with about anything you'd want.

Welcome to the forum and our addiction. Good to hear you're close by. I'm sure you have heard about the Tail Of The Dragon Ride taking place in a few weeks , Sept. 12-13 . I would suggest making that ride , as it will give you up close & personal mods that you can see , hear , smell & touch ! :rofl_200:

Send me a pm if you get a chance.

Paul

S'pose it depends on which direction you want to go; mods that folk can see or mods that improve the functionality but often less noticeable.

I started with braking and suspension upgrades so that the bike would go round corners and stop.
Your shopping list would include:

• Blue spot callipers + 13 mm master cylinder
  • Fixed or progressive wound fork springs
  • Fork emulators
  • Solid mounts or frame brace
  • Upgraded rear shocks
  • 17" wheels and radial tyres
  • Braced swinging arm
That should do the job so that the bike will handle better than the majority of peoples riding ability!

After that it is down to YOU as to what floats your boat. Ask ten folk for an opinion and you will get at least twenty different answers. Look at pictures of other Max's and when you see a bit you like then ask the owner about it if you need more info.

If you go to ebay and type in vmax side cover, there are black knee/heat guards with stars not holes. Haven't seen the polished ones with holes for a long time. Congrats on the 94, I bought my first Max new in 1994.

MaxMidnight gave you great advice on functional changes. To do the radial tire switch, get a used Kosman 17" or 18" no-wider than 6" and 5.5" is a good compromise. Re-use your stock 18" front w/a narrow 110 series tire, not the optimal width, but it saves you the cost of a new wheel, or adapting something which causes you issues w/fitment, brakes, odometer, etc.

The upside-down fork (USD fork) looks cool, but for the cost of admission, you can do both your entire stock front end and your rear, w/shocks and a braced swingarm, and the 'cheap-shot' radial wheel/tire conversion above (or pretty-close in $). Look at the cost of Exactrep dropped triple trees alone, that should be about the cost of the Kosman, and then you still need to buy the forks and wheel/brakes.

THe revised valving for the 1993+ front end will have it working much better, and is tuneable. Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators, or RICOR Intiminators, w/Race Tech or Progressive Suspension springs will do it. Shop for price, and you should be able to get below list price. I did used and got the components for the front described in this paragraph for ~ $150, w/oil.

I wouldn't go for shorter rear shocks unless you are 5'9" or less & cannot stand flat footed at a light. They will cost you cornering clearance. A shaved seat or one from Sean Morley, or a Max-Gasser can help you there, just give them your dimensions.

Some HH pads for your stock brakes will help w/stainless-steel lines. You don't need a new master cyl.

Hope this helps. You can do less-expensive mods w/o spending what you spent on the bike in the first place and for most riders, your bike's function will be entirely-adequate for your uses in the 'economy hop-up suspension mods' mode. Do the suspension before you do any engine stuff, you may find the power is much-more available w/the suspension done.

Well since you asked and we both have 94's i'll throw my two cent's in. First off I would like to state that the Yellow one's are the fastest that's been proven !!!! (unscientifically of course) Do yourself a favor and ride it for a while before you go throwing money at it. Find out what you like and don't like ask me how I know threw away a few buck's on mod's I either didn't need or don't like anymore. Personally I found mine to be more than fast enough for now, after riding for about a year now i'm concentrating on handling mods and really wanting a new seat also, the money I spent on a windshield that make's my bike handle like crap at speed was wasted and money spent on rear shock's that were the wrong height was wasted, so take my advice or not just throwing it out there, Have fun and be safe !!

I only have 8 sets of the Carr's remaining so don't wait too long to decide you want the best wheels you can get.

Sean

Back