which carb is the master carb ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnut108

Reaction score
I'm doing a carb sinc tomorrow and I forget which is the master carb #1 or #2------ I tried a search of this section but could not find the info. It is my understanding that the other three carb's sinc to the master, is that correct ? also, does anyone have a pic of the air/fuel screw location.
thanks, Patrick

yes, saw this, but it did not mention which was the master carb. great pic's and helpful. Still looking for a pic of the air/fuel screw location. Thanks.

A/F screw locations can be seen on the first photo, just below the diaphragm covers and behind the small round black plastic plugs.

Mark put the plastic plugs in, oem is a brass plug with a tiny breather hole.

+1. #2 is the "master" since it has a vaccuum tube on its sync nipple, whereas the others' are capped.

I'm not sure #1 or #2 are actually a 'master' - when syncing you simply balance #1 and #2 so they are the same, then #3 and #4 so they are also equal, and then balance the left bank with the right bank so all four open and close in sync.

The fact that the vacuum advance is drawn from #1 doesn't make it the master, it just makes it the one that controls the ignition advance.

IMHO of course!

I'm not sure #1 or #2 are actually a 'master' - when syncing you simply balance #1 and #2 so they are the same, then #3 and #4 so they are also equal, and then balance the left bank with the right bank so all four open and close in sync.

The fact that the vacuum advance is drawn from #1 doesn't make it the master, it just makes it the one that controls the ignition advance.

IMHO of course!

You mean carb #2..... Slip of the keyboard right lol

Err.. no?

Carb #1 front left (with vacuum advance hose)
Carb #2 rear left
Carb #3 front right
Carb #4 rear right

Same as the cylinders, innit? :eusa_dance:

I was just going off way the book labeled the cylinders...maybe my dyslexicia kickin in again lol

I always considered carb #1 to be the carb on cylinder #1 (rear left)
then #2 (front left) is balanced with this (the throttle cable runs to this carb)
the linkage runs over to carb #3 (rear right) which is balanced with #1 & #2
and then balance #4 (front right) with everyting else
finally go back to the start and fine tune everything

...but then...maybe the linkage goes to #4... :ummm:

Most important thing is to balance the left carbs first #1 & #2
then balance the right carb that the linkage runs to and finally the last guy :punk:

It's called the master carb because there is no sync screw to change the throttle plate setting, which is established at the factory ('cept with the idle screw)....all the other carbs have to be sync'd to the master.

everything went smooth, the carbs were close on the left (1&2) and also close on the right (3&4) but way off from side to side. Sinc'ed everything together and it purrs like a kitten. My idle is a little low, where is the idle screw ? ( found the air/fuel screws and adjusted about two turns out) Now an oil change and I'm ready to ride. yippie.
Patrick

Thanks again Dannymax, found it. Thanks to all you guys for your help. Finally learning my way around the bike.

Back