wierd high pitched noise?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
last weekend some dumb ass pinned my throttle and locked my throttle lock while it was sitting ( im pretty sure i know who did it but he wont admit it) :bang head:

anyway when i started it it immediately reved way high ( probably passed redline) before i hit the kill switch ( he it was delayed because it caught me off guard) seemed like it was pinned forever but in reality probably only a second or 2.

fast forward a few days

i dont think it hurt anything major but now i have a funky high pitch metallic noise that kinda sounds like something is loose. ( like a washer rattling on a hollow exhaust pipe but my exhaust is definatly not loose) i only hear it at certain rpms and while moving. i cannot get it to make that noise while sitting in neutral in the driveway. i can however pull the clutch it while rolling and can get it to make the noise briefly by blipping the throttle. also as im going through the gears it seems to do it about 2500 rpms and while in 2nd or 3rd gear. or while cruising at 70. i have quadzilla quad exhaust on my bike so it is extremely loud. yet i can hear this odd high pitch noise. its driving me crazy trying to figure out what it is... any ideas?

Re: wierd high ptch noise?

Small end maybe?

Mine started with a similar whirring (I failed to change gears properly and fell into a false neutral) over a few months it developed into top-end knocking/rattling.
Turns out my small end didn't get enough oil and couldn't cope with the stress.

Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse have someone look at it

Re: wierd high pitch noise?

Loose washer or bolt somewhere. Start grabbing things like the brake lines, scoops, and other stuff when it's making the noise.
Sean

ya know.. it is kinda like whirring noise... what exactly is a "small end" i havent heard that term before

last weekend some dumb ass pinned my throttle and locked my throttle lock while it was sitting ( im pretty sure i know who did it but he wont admit it) :bang head:

anyway when i started it it immediately reved way high ( probably passed redline) before i hit the kill switch ( he it was delayed because it caught me off guard) seemed like it was pinned forever but in reality probably only a second or 2.

fast forward a few days

i dont think it hurt anything major but now i have a funky high pitch metallic noise that kinda sounds like something is loose. ( like a washer rattling on a hollow exhaust pipe but my exhaust is definatly not loose) i only hear it at certain rpms and while moving. i cannot get it to make that noise while sitting in neutral in the driveway. i can however pull the clutch it while rolling and can get it to make the noise briefly by blipping the throttle. also as im going through the gears it seems to do it about 2500 rpms and while in 2nd or 3rd gear. or while cruising at 70. i have quadzilla quad exhaust on my bike so it is extremely loud. yet i can hear this odd high pitch noise. its driving me crazy trying to figure out what it is... any ideas?

some one is jelous and very petty. I would like to see this happen "just once" nuff said.

I am pretty sure the person who pinned the throttle was the same person who owns the bike.

One of those "DOH!" moments

why on gods green earth would i pin my own throttle back and lock the throttle lock? this was not a doh moment

ya know.. it is kinda like whirring noise... what exactly is a "small end" i havent heard that term before

You hear of the big end? well the small end is the other side :biglaugh:
I even drilled an extra oil hole at the small end on my new conrods so it wouldn't happen again
Dscn0821.jpg

gotcha... i sure hope thats not it though... ive heard this noise before but for the life of me i cant pin it down to where i heard it. its driving me crazy

We rework the rods and add bronze bushings in the end to prevent the galling you found. Of course we also offer aftermarket rods.

Sean

gotcha... i sure hope thats not it though... ive heard this noise before but for the life of me i cant pin it down to where i heard it. its driving me crazy

If ya heard it before then it could be something simple as Sean said.
Something under the dummy cover that's rubbing?

its not something ive heard recently just sometime in my life.... im not a happy camper but i guess ill give everything a good look over tomorrow in hopes ill find something loose. but the more i think about it "whirring noise" is more accurate except its not all the time and i cant get it to do it at simply by reving it up in the driveway.

I had an annoying little rattle like that somewhere on the right side behind the motor. Started out small and got bigger. I found a bolt missing and another backed out, yet no room to fall all the way out, on the fancy painted/polished doo hicky thingamajigs that cover the exhaust pipe on the right, rear of the bike. I don't have any idea what those cover pieces are called, but not too difficult to remove. When removed (as one unit) the pieces then come into two pieces via two small bolts (not visible when installed). Found a replacement bolt and lock washer, chased threads, and added a bit of locktite and reinstalled them. No more rattle around the exhaust.

There's a heat shield of some kind that bolts to the back of these two exhaust coverup pieces to protect the fuel tank from excessive heat.

Might give those a look see to check for tightness.

turns out it was a simple fix. the air box cover was the culprit of the funky sound.... even now i dont know how it could make that sound but it was the problem

Back