Will not start when engine is hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richw

Reaction score
I have a "96 Black V-Max with approx . 7500 miles on it. I can install a new battery, will charged and maintained, and after I ride the bike, for an hour or so, or until the engine becomes hot, I have a very difficult time in starting the bike. It acts as though the battety is weak or dead. When pushed the bike starts up. After a cool down period, the battery has enough power to turn the engine over enough for it to start. I don't think the battery is the problem. My question is: Does anyone else have this problem and what was done to fix the problem? Thanks, RichW

RichW, make sure your chargeing system is up to snuff. There's a sticky post in the electrical section that shows a fault finding flowchart. Make sure your frame and engine grounds are clean. Engine ground is by oil filler cap and fram ground is on right side behind top cover. Make sure there isn't any paint on the mounting points.

ALSO SOMETIMES WHEN A STARTER IS ON THE WAY OUT IT CAN DO THIS & IT DRAWS TO MANY AMPS. WHEN ITS HOT ! HAPPENS ALL THE TIME ON CARS WITH HEADERS ! ALSO IF THE BATTERY CABLES ARE CORRODED , THE CORROSION CAN GET INTO THE CABLE MAKING IS ABILITY TO CARRY PROPER AMPERAGE IMPOSSIBLE ! JUST SOMETHINGS TO CHECK !:confused2:IF YOU BRING YOU BIKE TO WHERE YOU GET YOUR CARS FIXED , THEY CAN LOAD TEST YOUR STARTER FOR YOU ! YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THE PROPER AMPERAGE DRAW IS !

RichW, make sure your chargeing system is up to snuff. There's a sticky post in the electrical section that shows a fault finding flowchart. Make sure your frame and engine grounds are clean. Engine ground is by oil filler cap and fram ground is on right side behind top cover. Make sure there isn't any paint on the mounting points.

+1, this is almost always a charging issue.

Back