Wobble at precisely 90mph +

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venetrex

Reaction score
I have a wobble that occurs at about 90-100mph that occurs that I cannot figure out what is causing it. My suspension is not stock. I have the front fork tubes slid in 1 inch. I also have progressive front springs and racetech emulators and an aftermarket fork brace. I did the furber fix a while ago due to a low speed fast wobble. My rear suspension is lowered one ich, however I have an 18inch rear wheel with dunlop d207 tire in rear. My front is a dunlop d205. What I cannot remember is when it started. I am unsure of where to check to alleviate this. It ONLY ocurs at speeds above 90mph, and is downright scary at 100. Where do I start??

The first and most important thing to check is the head bearings.

To check them properly, you need to remove the front brake calipers (tie them out of the way or rest them on the engine guards if you have some), the front wheel, the headlamp and the forks and fender. Then have a feel turning the triple-tree back and forth by hand.

If you feel any roughness at all, your head bearings are shot and need replacing. The good this is, having removed all of the above, you're now 3/4 of the way there to replace them :)

The Furbur fix is nothing more than a band-aid for dying bearings. I did it on my '86, and the wobble moved from above 100 to above 115mph, only made it scarier!

Worn tires can also make a difference, but in my case, going from worn Dunlop Qualifiers to brand new Shinkos made no difference to the wobble. I also found some other problems on my bike that I'm still fixing, but by this weekend it will be back on the road and I will have a definite answer as far as the head bearings are concerned - I've replaced them already - just need to ride it fast enough to find out if it's properly cured it. My hopes are high!

Check the tightness on the head bearings. This is how I do it.

Get the front end off the ground 2-3 inches.
Move the steering left to right to make sure its smooth.
Now with the steering centered bump the handlbars either to the left or to the right.

The steering shouldnt go all the way. You want the steering loose but not to the point they move on there own...

To tight,, weaving swerving
To loose,, 45 MPH wobble when riding no hands, and high speed wobbles.

Mine were nice and tight, but I could never feel the roughness until I removed everything and moved the triple-tree on its own.

With the weight of the forks, wheel etc, they felt just fine going from side to side, but they were most definitely not.

High speed wobble can be caused by loose swing arm bearings. I would start here. Remove, clean, regrease, and adjust swing arm bearings.

The Vmax is prone to frame flex which can also cause high speed wobble. The best method I have found to help reduce this is to install solid motor mounts. I personally feel these work better than frame braces.

The vmax frame also bolts together to alow engine removal and fuel tank removal. Check these joints and make sure they are tight.

Back