wobbling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxrom

Reaction score
Please need info
my Vmax 1998
Avon venom 100/90/18 & 170/80/15
Third year with those (aleays run well)
This year = at 85mph it start to wooble and dose not stop woobling if y go faster
Stering neck is ok

My Friend (who`s a Maxer customizer) look at it yesterday and say=
There`s a mark who should alling with tire valve (true or false)
In the case you need to much weight to balance ; turn the tire half way (true or false)

actualy the mark are not alling
And there is so much weight
I think the mecanic who did it as no experience with motorcycle tire

With some background info i will get back there redoing the job

Re: woobling

1. Yes most tires have a mark that should align with the Valve Stem.
2. True if too much weight is needed truning the tire 180 degrees is supposed to help get it to Balance using less weight.

If this was ok, then started to happen, I'd take a look at the tires for wear. And check the swing arm bearings. It's correct; the mark on the tire should be aligned, usually, with the heaviest part of the wheel. The wheel, with rotors on, needs to be spun on a trueing stand to find the heavy spot, if there is one. The valve stem is used as a reference point, but might not be the heavy spot. The old Kosman wheel I mounted was perfectly balanced. My OEM front wasn't, and the heavy spot was 30 degrees from the valve stem.
Steve

Please need info
my Vmax 1998
Avon venom 100/90/18 & 170/80/15
Third year with those (aleays run well)
This year = at 85mph it start to wooble and dose not stop woobling if y go faster
Stering neck is ok

My Friend (who`s a Maxer customizer) look at it yesterday and say=
There`s a mark who should alling with tire valve (true or false)
In the case you need to much weight to balance ; turn the tire half way (true or false)

actualy the mark are not alling
And there is so much weight
I think the mecanic who did it as no experience with motorcycle tire

With some background info i will get back there redoing the job

Last edited:

Hey
tank`s a lot for confirmation:punk:
ad a third info from ADM SPORT mechanic adviser says the same

42.85$ tax in for a fck`n shit of job
now i will have to fight this at this fck`n store, then remove / replace wheels
Half my fault; did not check when i pick up the wheels:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

nice wether, i`m going for a ride

that all being said, a lot of shops won't actualy take th etime to find the true heavy point and just line it up with the valve stem and be done with it. if there is a lot of weight it may be correctly balanced (or close enough) and from what you wrote it sounds like these tires aren't new. i doubt you'll find the tires are the issue and i'd start looking other areas. for $45 at harbor freight they sell a balance stand.

that all being said, a lot of shops won't actualy take th etime to find the true heavy point and just line it up with the valve stem and be done with it. if there is a lot of weight it may be correctly balanced (or close enough) and from what you wrote it sounds like these tires aren't new. i doubt you'll find the tires are the issue and i'd start looking other areas. for $45 at harbor freight they sell a balance stand.

Tires are brand new
And yes i`m about to brought the balance stand
Also built (at my work) my own tire removal/instal device

All the other mecanical is done here by ME and it works well

Tires are brand new
And yes i`m about to brought the balance stand
Also built (at my work) my own tire removal/instal device

All the other mecanical is done here by ME and it works well

i misunderstood your original post then. don't forget to check the rear tire as well!

Double check new tires are properly seated on the rims as well. I've had a new tire not properly seat and it will have a visible runout which should be easily viewed if you put the bike up on the center stand, or other stand with the back tire off the ground. Start the bike and run it in gear while watching for out-of-roundness.

New or used tires can become damaged by hitting potholes too. I've had damaged cords in a couple of my Dunlops over the years that would cause highspeed wobble issues. (Always the back tire) A couple times the wobble was corrected by having the back tire re-balanced on a machine.

Ha a, found it:bang head::bang head:

i don`t have regular center stand, i use a device who`s lift the bike by where the center stand is usualy bolt on.

so lift the bike for cleaning ect and.........

And i found my swing arm right side bolt loose:bang head:

Re-tight that bolt and woobling is gone at 80% at 100mph
Still have a little shimmy, certainly com from over weight balance in wheelse

The only thing that i don`t do myself is tire change `n` balance THINGS WILL CHANGE NEAR BY:damn angry:

Yup - a few are running them, I have happily in my '86 with Shinko tires. I will again in my '00 when it eventually gets here!!

Latest posts

Back