Wow!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasondon

Reaction score
Just picked up my first Vmax this weekend, I'm in love! Great bike so far. I have had several different dirt bikes, and an R1 & R6. I have to say I like riding this much more than the crotch rockets, and can see me hanging onto this thing!

Anyways, it is a 2003 with just 3000mi on it. It is pretty much bone stock, except for the highway cruising bars. I chose this year mostly because I prefer the brushed wheels opposed to the black, just my preference. Windshield, headlight relay, fan switch to come soon.

Initial thoughts: Great, fast, brakes work well. The front forks are a little soft. Almost seem "marshmellow'y" speaking technically. Have to do some snooping around here, new fluid, maybe seals?

Great site you have here, lots of good info, great for us newb's.! Greatly appreciated.

Jason

Attachments

• vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 46
  • vmax2.JPG
    vmax2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 71
Just picked up my first Vmax this weekend, I'm in love! Great bike so far. I have had several different dirt bikes, and an R1 & R6. I have to say I like riding this much more than the crotch rockets, and can see me hanging onto this thing!

Anyways, it is a 2003 with just 3000mi on it. It is pretty much bone stock, except for the highway cruising bars. I chose this year mostly because I prefer the brushed wheels opposed to the black, just my preference. Windshield, headlight relay, fan switch to come soon.

Initial thoughts: Great, fast, brakes work well. The front forks are a little soft. Almost seem "marshmellow'y" speaking technically. Have to do some snooping around here, new fluid, maybe seals?

Great site you have here, lots of good info, great for us newb's.! Greatly appreciated.

Jason

Welcome! Looks clean as hell! The forks are LOW on preload which is nothing Race-Tech and some oil can't fix... Do some searching here on suspension and you will find a lot of info.:eusa_dance:

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum and to the VMax world! :punk: Seeing as you have SS bikes, I know how soft the suspension can feel on the VMax. Chris has good advice about upgrading the components in the forks to RaceTech components or you can look at Progressive brand springs. In the mean time, you can try a heavier oil or more air in the front forks. Both are kind of a band aid solution but will make the suspension firmer. Add air with a bicycle pump as gas station air compressors tend to blow out the seals. Max pressure for the forks is 15 lbs.

Welcome Jason Congrats on your new VMAX!! :clapping:

Plenty of info here and I am sure you will have no problem finding anyone here wanting to spend your money on upgrades. :rofl_200: First thing I would do is, yeah get ya some progressive springs and the gold emulators.
Unbolt that stock mousy quiet exhaust and buy a Kerker 4-2-1 with a 2.5 baffle. Next take them Tricycle Handlebars off and spend the 20 bucks for some straight drag bars. Last get rid of the horse saddle stock seat and hook up with Sean Morley or take it to your local upolstrey shop to have it chopped and flattened out. Well I just spent about 2K of your money that should keep ya busy for a while.

Nice looking color scheme :punk:

Haha, you guys spend my money quicker than I (or my girlfriend for that matter) can! :bang head:

I will definately look into some mods for the forks, see what I can come up with. For now I will just ooo and ahhh, and that seems to be working. I never thought I would have one of these, but definately loving it. I have already experienced the hot temp at stop lights and in town riding, so going to pick up some water wetter, and look into the fan switch.

Headlight needs some brightening up too, so looks like I have found another money pit :biglaugh:

Welcome , Nice looking bike . Glad to hear you like it .
The vmax is an addiction, easy to spend money on .
LOl , Jason B:biglaugh:

Haha, you guys spend my money quicker than I (or my girlfriend for that matter) can! :bang head:

I will definately look into some mods for the forks, see what I can come up with. For now I will just ooo and ahhh, and that seems to be working. I never thought I would have one of these, but definately loving it. I have already experienced the hot temp at stop lights and in town riding, so going to pick up some water wetter, and look into the fan switch.

Headlight needs some brightening up too, so looks like I have found another money pit :biglaugh:

Yes the VMAX is a money pit unless you are easily satisfied or what type of rides you have owned in the past. We all have our opinions here from SS loving his VMAX bone stock which may go on the wildside of only change / modify is air PSI in his tires to all out blower fuel injected with 300 series tires on the back.
Fan switch is easy depending on your skills when it comes to tools. Toggle switch and about 4 ft of 14 gauge wire.
Also you can change your thermostat to a 190 but that wont help in traffic but the fan switch will.
Please post questions to there section or this thread will get hammered.

Welcome Jason

Nice looikn bike!

I am pretty new to this forum as well and let me tell you that the guys on this forum are TOP NOTCH They have already helped me with a leak problem and the famous "Hot Start" problem.

Oh and while we are all helping you spend your money, let me add to the list of mods you should think about. Why not add the T-Boost mod. I love the feel of the V-Boost kickin in at 6000 rpm. and if V-Boost is good at 6000 rpm why not at 3000 rpm :punk:

Mike W.

Thanks for the replies!

Got a good couple hundred km in this weekend, definately a lot of fun. I even had a buddy take it for a spin who currently owns a R6, and he said he could see buying one in a year or two.

That Vboost is something else, feels like a turbo on a car. I dont think I will do the Tboost mod, I kind of like it the way it is. Being stock you have to open it up before it kicks in, which is just fine for me.

Only thing I am still getting used to is cornering (from a stop, like at a set of lights. Not sure if it is the forks as I previously mentioned, but it just feels a little unstable. May be because I am so used to crotch rockets, but will have to take some getting used to!

Thanks for the replies!

Got a good couple hundred km in this weekend, definately a lot of fun. I even had a buddy take it for a spin who currently owns a R6, and he said he could see buying one in a year or two.

That Vboost is something else, feels like a turbo on a car. I dont think I will do the Tboost mod, I kind of like it the way it is. Being stock you have to open it up before it kicks in, which is just fine for me.

Only thing I am still getting used to is cornering (from a stop, like at a set of lights. Not sure if it is the forks as I previously mentioned, but it just feels a little unstable. May be because I am so used to crotch rockets, but will have to take some getting used to!

Low speed turning takes some getting used to. You gotta remember it's a 600 pound bike. So be cautious using the front brake with the handle bars turned!
Don't bother asking me how I learned that one. :biglaugh:

You are right, the weight thing is a big part of it. I think I read these things are about 630lbs wet, which is pretty heavy. As well, the seating position is quite a bit different. Good excuse to ride more, even if I didnt need one :punk:

You are right, the weight thing is a big part of it. I think I read these things are about 630lbs wet, which is pretty heavy. As well, the seating position is quite a bit different. Good excuse to ride more, even if I didnt need one :punk:

Yuppers... I'm all for more riding! 22,000 miles as of today on my 06. All mine!

Look into getting a Morley's Muscle Seat, if you don't already have a custom seat. Hands down it is one of the best mods you can do for your Max.

22000 miles, nice job!

I have read that guys say that is one of the best mods they have done. Are they in the 400-500 dollar range?

Start off cheap, buy a set of drag bars they run around 25.00 and makes you feel more in control of the bike.

But yes this bike doesnt handle nor brake very well. It was designed as a straight line runner. With big pockets you can make hadle half way decent but you will never have a sport bike feel with this bike, I wont say anymore cause its hurts the feelings of the sensitives ones here when I talk about my frame flexing wobbler.
Just wait for your first high speed wobble they are a blast :worthy:

Welcome to the boards and let the mods begin! It's a sickness, and I'm down with it. A good friend of mine and I just took a road trip to pick up his '85 last Sunday and he's already had it apart and back together for some things.

Carb work, exhaust, and suspension are a must for these bikes. I rode a stock suspended '85 on the way back from Illinois and OMG I didn't think I would say my bike handled good, but in comparison it was night and day!

The seat from Sean (Morley's Muscle Seat) will be much less than that and your behind will thank you! Drag bars and replacing fork springs with Racetech or Progressive springs. I should have done the Racetech emulators while I was installing my Progressive front springs but will do that the next time I have to replace fork seals.
Up next on my mod(s) list is: full exhaust (Mark's Performance Products for me, there are other great choices too), add a real tach/shiftlight, wheels (Carrozzeria, again there are great choices out there), Galfer rotors/ SS brake lines.......and the list goes on. Time to get a second job this winter just to pay for more mods!:biglaugh:

Thanks for all the tips!

The nice thing is, although some of these things (braking etc) might not be as good as other bikes, it isn’t a fortune to make them acceptable, atleast for my standards. My dad just bought a Harley, and for the price he paid for his sissy bar/luggage rack, I could have fixed/upgraded several components on the max. I don’t find anything “terrible” just some things could be upgraded & improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back