X-iled's Vmax - Streetfighter project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-iled

Reaction score
ok u guys saw my exhaust fabrication in one of the threads i posted. so i guess i will document the rest of my build here. lol. it aint nothing like the gruelling techicals Turbovmax has did with his EFI mods.. i'm not at that level yet. haha but what i am doing to my max now is a makeover in terms of the exterior and slowly moving into the internal components.

i'm looking to create a street fighter and will be breaking the original shape of the vmax with tanks and custom parts.. so if you are one of those who strongly believe the max should look like it is originally then this is not for you.. hahah... ok.. let me narate as i post up the pics...

i first started off with the rear end.. decided to put a 240 rear tire when a local welder fucked up my sportsbike wheel mod... his welding actually warped the wheel, rendering it useless.. so i tot what the hell.. that jus gave me a good reason to start on the 240 rear which will inevitabily be on the bike at some point in time further down the road... so i started my hunt for rims and landed myself this BMW hamann rim real cheap.

3356677439_efc94305c9.jpg

and i went on to fabricate a single sided swingarm to fit the wheel to the frame. due to the size of the wheel.. the arm needed to have an offset and i did this with another U-joint inside the swingarm. This swingarm was meant to be beefy so as to be strong enough for torsional forces. It is partly constructed this way bcos of the material i used.. i couldnt get the most optimum material for it thus i substituted dimensions to boost the material strength.

3381288229_4cb933f07d.jpg

3381288237_e5197a4d7f.jpg

here is a comparison of the swingarm and the original

3367186759_e1fcebf7dc.jpg

as i had planned NOT to cut the original shaft.. i basically reused the entire rear differential unit complete with the shaft. This led to the swingarm to be having an extra 8inches of stretch.

Last edited:
so i proceeded to fabricate a hub to fit the wheel and the drive splines. i did not actually do the machining. i merely designed it and paid a local machinist to have it done.. lol

3438719876_b6801bca60.jpg

3437908259_90aef8202a.jpg

this is where the progress of my wheel stopped.. i have yet to figure out the mounting of the rear caliper.. but i will be using a brembo unit from the BMW k1200lt. hopefully all works out fine.

i then chopped off the rear subframe and decided to make the chopped point my top shock mount

moving on.. i figured i'd mount the suspension single sided too! so i got a rear shock from a bmw R1100t (if i remember correctly). and proceeded to make some shock mounts for the frame and the swingarm
3522238080_6f180cfff2.jpg

3522238072_bbe862ff3a.jpg

decided to further strengthed the area with gussets to the frame.

s2 ide gussets and a top - cross gusset

3522238066_f7efc07f7a.jpg

and here she is all welded up.

3526247760_64aab462a7.jpg

top - cross gusset
3526247908_d863d7179a.jpg

shock mount position, top shock mount and swingarm shock mount

3526248040_2f0b1fe234.jpg

Last edited:
and heres a roller!!!

had the wheels and swingarm mounted up for a look. these pics u can see the intended tank as well in its position. tank is not finished as at now, its jus and empty top shell. disregard the exhaust end can though. it shuld be in a higer up position.

3525441557_0ab3cea52e.jpg

3525440927_be91afb056.jpg

3526247436_4aca82154b.jpg

so yeah.. .this is where i am currently at with the bike... got stuck for sometime thinking about the tail. i jus made my aluminium subframe today but no pics yet sorry. haha. here are some of the ideas i've been fiddling with. most likely i'm gonna fuse the 2 designs together for my tail.

monster tail
3595743408_e46f77d013.jpg

1098 tail
3594937025_30c9d66cb8.jpg

will be using hayabusa forks for this build and gotten some parts for engine mods. updates sure to come once i reach the stage. jus to give u guys a preview of wats to come:

- radiator mods
- oil cooler mod
- inverted front fork conversion
- ram air ducts
- battery box
- triple trees
- some cool looking headlights and more... cant remember them as at now.. hahah

hope you guys enjoyed this little thread!

Last edited:
Very good plan of attack. That will be very unique. Let us know how you like that shock setup. That is exactly what I had in mind for the Chaindriven Max I will build.......Kudos

Thanks for the compliments guys! lol. project is on the move again after so long... xschop .. chain driven max! would sure like to see some progress pics of it. jus for info, the bmw rear shock is really stiff... i weight about 90kg... (198lbs) didnt even sag one bit when i sat on the frame without the engine on. had to bounce on it to see if the shocks work and they work fine. seems to me like its a good candidate for a monoshocked vmax haha..

Looks great... Explain to me how you're going to make the shaft go through your swing arm though... I see you say you're going to use another U joint but man it looks like it's going to be a beotch to get it in there...

Chris

Looks great... Explain to me how you're going to make the shaft go through your swing arm though... I see you say you're going to use another U joint but man it looks like it's going to be a beotch to get it in there...

Chris

hey, ok i made a bearig fit inside the swingarm. i machined a piece of bearing housing and welded it to the insides. so in this way i am able to change the bearings when they get worn. i will also be machining a shorter shaft that connects the inside u-joint to the motor u-joint. the inside u -joint slips into the bearing and is therefore able to spin at a fixed plane without going all haywire and rubbing the inside walls.

hope i'm clear enough. haha

Sweet! Sounds like you've been doing this for a while or you have or are an engineer...

Chris

nah i'm jus as noob as any noob here.. i'm a fire fighter actually... zero engineering background....haha.. jus did alot of research and asking ard... the guy from the machine shop and bike workshop also gave me great insights into my projects.

very impressed.. esp since u did the research yourself!! wha tkind of s tress tests do you do to ensure quality of welds/make sure the steel will hold up etc?

Nice work! Can't wait to see it come together. Are you in for that build off at the other site?

hey.. nah.. i aint inside the build off... this build o fmine is gonna take quite awhile... earliest targetted date of completion i guess is end of the year.. lol

very impressed.. esp since u did the research yourself!! wha tkind of s tress tests do you do to ensure quality of welds/make sure the steel will hold up etc?

i didnt do any stress test... but the guy that did my welds was quite a professional. i was really satisfied with his welds ... so i guess his welding skills were a good enough assurance for me that his welds will hold haha

Dude you keep it up!!
Thats a real good effort there man.... it looks like you put that second ujoint up close to the front one am i right? that may make the angle too extreme leading to some weird vibrations ...typically you would want it to be as far back as ya can...say near the differential flange. But i could be wrong once you factor in that bering you put in there....
I love the wheel and the hub... iv had two different attempts at hubs for the vmax and i know the work it takes.... so kudos!
The newer goldwings use a single side swing arm with similar brake set up...you may look there for some ideas..

Keep going man....this will be a great ride when done!

Dude you keep it up!!
Thats a real good effort there man.... it looks like you put that second ujoint up close to the front one am i right? that may make the angle too extreme leading to some weird vibrations ...typically you would want it to be as far back as ya can...say near the differential flange. But i could be wrong once you factor in that bering you put in there....
I love the wheel and the hub... iv had two different attempts at hubs for the vmax and i know the work it takes.... so kudos!
The newer goldwings use a single side swing arm with similar brake set up...you may look there for some ideas..

Keep going man....this will be a great ride when done!

thanks!! the u joint will be a sshort distance away from the motor u joint.. if i remember correctly the connecting shaft should be about 105mm long. i took note of the angle of the u joints.. making sure they dun get too acute and end up grindig itself out.. lol

yes the bearing holding the u joint should allow it to rotate only on a single plane... which i thought would be integral to the design so that the entire shaft length from the 2nd u joint to my rear differential would only rotate at the same single plane, effectively locking the new shaft unit and only allowing an up-down movement of the swingarm.

thanks for the heads p on the goldwings... i didnt realise that. haha. will check them out.

i just ordered my 1098 tail from ebay and is awaiting its arrival.. currently i'm squeezing my brains on ram air modifications. I'm thinking of fabricating a new airbox and routing some ducts through the front of the frame.. aka where the electrical components used to be. I dun think i will be able to really harness the ram air benefits but i'm making the aim of the intake ducts as a means to improve air travelling to the carbs and thereby making the bike breathe better.

i really hope it works out... hahha

I'm enjoying the proress of your builds, Very impressive indeed. Here is a guy that built a ram-air set up, maybe you can improve on his work :punk:

http://www.ramair4vmax.com/

oh yes i did visit his site.. great informative site btw.. i'm gonna fabricate a new airbox but trying to keep the airbox as compact as i possibly can so i can free up space for the fuel tank thats gonna sit above it

Hi,Awsome looking project,do you have any pictures of ur universal joints and drive shaft setup?

Thanks

Hi,Awsome looking project,do you have any pictures of ur universal joints and drive shaft setup?

Thanks

hi thanks for the compliment! This is what i have.. haha dunno if its useful to u though. pre-welded components of the swingarm

3356355260_59e627f0d7.jpg

Back